• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Upgrade from my Q85's

Southshoretrash

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
First time poster seeking advice on an upgrade as I have only skied on 2 pairs of shaped skis as I took too long of a break.

Here are my stats: 48 years old 6 feet tall 220 lbs (I know, I'm on a diet, my goal weight is 195-200). I was rated 3 years ago as a 7 out of 9 at Smugglers Notch. My Current setup is: Solomon Q85 in 174 with Atomic Hawx 110 boots. Being from Long Island I try to get 2 multi day trips to Vermont and 1-2 day trips to the Pocconos every season.

Because I ski with my family, I can be on the greens in the morning with my wife and daughter and then blues and some blacks with my son. The only time I am ever in the trees is when we take lessons, which we try to do every trip (and my son likes to go in the trees as well). But I would say my I am on the trails 80%.

I want to try a ski with some metal in it for better edge grip on the groomers and playful, but not something that will wear me out. I am not a “fast” skier but I do notice that the Q85's tip chatter at higher speeds, but they are light and easy to ski. The skis can be no longer than 180 as they will not fit in my ski carrier.

I had narrowed it down to Volkl Kanjos or Blizzard Brahma CA's as the Kendo/Brahmas would be too much with the 2 sheets of metal. My experience on shaped skis is limited, I have only skied on the Q85s and a very short pair of 2015 Experience 88s. I liked the 88s much better.

It just so happens my local ski shop had a screaming deal on Volkl Kanjos in 175 so I put a deposit on them (the mountain I am going to does not have the Kanjos to demo).

Did I make a good choice?

Thanks.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I don't have a recommendation here, but I just wanted to say I love your screen name.

signed,
former Jersey girl

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
First time poster seeking advice on an upgrade as I have only skied on 2 pairs of shaped skis as I took too long of a break.

Here are my stats: 48 years old 6 feet tall 220 lbs (I know, I'm on a diet, my goal weight is 195-200). I was rated 3 years ago as a 7 out of 9 at Smugglers Notch. My Current setup is: Solomon Q85 in 174 with Atomic Hawx 110 boots. Being from Long Island I try to get 2 multi day trips to Vermont and 1-2 day trips to the Pocconos every season.

Because I ski with my family, I can be on the greens in the morning with my wife and daughter and then blues and some blacks with my son. The only time I am ever in the trees is when we take lessons, which we try to do every trip (and my son likes to go in the trees as well). But I would say my I am on the trails 80%.

I want to try a ski with some metal in it for better edge grip on the groomers and playful, but not something that will wear me out. I am not a “fast” skier but I do notice that the Q85's tip chatter at higher speeds, but they are light and easy to ski. The skis can be no longer than 180 as they will not fit in my ski carrier.

I had narrowed it down to Volkl Kanjos or Blizzard Brahma CA's as the Kendo/Brahmas would be too much with the 2 sheets of metal. My experience on shaped skis is limited, I have only skied on the Q85s and a very short pair of 2015 Experience 88s. I liked the 88s much better.

It just so happens my local ski shop had a screaming deal on Volkl Kanjos in 175 so I put a deposit on them (the mountain I am going to does not have the Kanjos to demo).

Did I make a good choice?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

I am partial to the Head Monster 88's since I own them, in 184cm length. But the series is quite good in 177cm.. Super supportive, stable, and fun. @Philpug said the new Monster 83's are awesome if you want a new ski for next season. If you can find a 16'-17' or a 17'-18' Monster 88 in 177cm I would get it. They can be had pretty cheap and its an awesome ski.

I am 6-2 190lb for reference so I am pretty sure at your weight you will definitely benefit from the performance of a ski like the Monster 88.

There are other options and the Volkl Kanjo seems like a good, more playful and lighter alternative but I havent been on them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am more of a North Shore fan, I love the Sound, Greenport and Orient Point. I do thin the Kanjo's in a 175 might be just a little short anf you will be spending a good amont of your effort trying to keep the skis underneith you. @Ken_R has been singing the accolades of the Monster 88 to everyone who will listen but I think this is a great option for you and what you need. The 177 in this ski, although just 2 cm more than the Kanjo is much more ski and a better option.

TS
S

Southshoretrash

Skier
Laine, I am glad you caught on to the joke. Phil and Ken_R, thank you for the responses. Phil is right about the North Fork of Long Island (I like it better too), but where us common folk live, the South Shore is my home (I have a 20 minute boat ride to some great beaches and have a the Blue Point Brewery 5 minutes away).

One question for Phil, what did you mean by "trying to keep the skis underneath you"?

Thanks.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Laine, I am glad you caught on to the joke. Phil and Ken_R, thank you for the responses. Phil is right about the North Fork of Long Island (I like it better too), but where us common folk live, the South Shore is my home (I have a 20 minute boat ride to some great beaches and have a the Blue Point Brewery 5 minutes away).

@Southshoretrash - having spent quite at few summers in the late 90s'/early 2000s on the LIRR headed to Bay Shore to get to Ocean Bay Park and Kismet, I love me some South Shore peeps!

TS
S

Southshoretrash

Skier
I got a chance to demo 3 skis during my vacation. Conditions at Jay Peak were some of the worst I have ever skied on: variable with a lot of ice, which is good in a way to demo skis in the Northeast. The ski shop gave me 2 hours of free time on each ski.

First pair were the Kanjos in 175: I was immediately comfortable on these and if they could talk, they would say, "Let's go faster." They were very playful, had good edge grip on ice and were light on my feet. Skiing at slow speeds was effortless and the skis had better feel the faster I went but also required more attention. I am not a very fast skier so I did not see any limit in this ski. At the end of the 2 hours I did not want to give these back.

Next we're the Rossi Exp. 88hd in 172: this was very easy to ski on, and unlike the Kanjos, their temperament did not change when the speed increased. "Want to go faster, slower, whatever works for you." The edge grip on the ice was not as good as the Kanjos, but still good. Nothing seemed to phase these skis and I can see why the are so popular. After 2 hours, I thought, "OK, time to give these back."

Last were the RTM 84 in 171: a disclaimer on these, I skied these the following day and the conditions had deteriorated significantly, there was more ice than snow on this particular test trail. These skis are way above my ability to do them justice. I was never comfortable on these and they did a very good job of communicating every mistake I made. Edge grip was very good. Instead of being encouraging (Kanjos) or even tempered (88HDs), these were demanding, "You better ski harder and faster, and don't screw up." I can see why a stronger skier than myself would love these. I could not wait to give these back.

Funny thing is both people in the ski shop stated I would like the Kanjos over the other two after I tried them all.

So there is my novice review and I hope it helps somebody else. I still want to try the Monster 88's, as they intrigue me.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid