• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don Duran

Instructor / trainer / coach
Skier
Semantics aside Under Armour makes great compression wear. Nike does as well but their prices are almost always twice the price for essentially the same products. I call that the Starbucks model where brand recognition is justified as a reason for those higher prices. Additionally, I still remember the scandal over overseas low wage workers making their products but not earning enough to buy them. I stopped buying their stuff long ago and have been buying UA and Columbia stuff for many many years. I welcome the idea of UA shifting part of their product line to functional fashion wear.

In my opinion, skiing has long needed an influx of color and fashion. Androgynous baggy clothes in muted colors has it's place but a return to more fashionable ski wear is a good thing and my wife is a prime example of customers wanting more fashionable ski clothing. Nor do I believe fashion should be limited to women's ski wear. Like Vonn, Robert Redford in his stretch ski pants (in the movie downhill racer) did a lot to sell the sport to the masses. In a flat, or declining market I see UA's efforts as a very good thing.

Don Duran

Skier
My wife asked me to get that outfit for her. Then Lindsey made those foolish political statements and all that changed. Seems foolish to me to make controversial statements when launching a new product line. Facebook is alive with 26k responses and 20k are anti Lindsey posts. UA cannot be pleased.
Seriously disappointed that I found a present she loved and I have to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
My wife asked me to get that outfit for her. Then Lindsey made those foolish political statements and all that changed. Seems foolish to me to make controversial statements when launching a new product line. Facebook is alive with 26k responses and 20k are anti Lindsey posts. UA cannot be pleased.
Seriously disappointed that I found a present she loved and I have to go back to the drawing board.
Am I the only one sick of Lindsey's OFF-SNOW persona?
The less relevant she becomes on the World Cup, the more she struggles to maintain a degree of celebrity.
I get it, but it's sad.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I thought she was skiing for Team USA, since when did the the USA Olympic Team start representing the POTUS?
Just because somebody has world class athletic abilities and possibly best ever abilities doesn't mean anyone cares about your political stance.
She should shut up and win races as that's where your money comes from, not your political choice.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier

The less relevant she becomes on the World Cup, the more she struggles to maintain a degree of celebrity.
I get it, but it's sad.

Bingo, Lindsey's unlimited skills and determination have gotten her where she is today, certainly not her mouth which could cost her millions.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
She's done. Stenmark's record is safe.
Five years from now, she will be a footnote. Great ski champions have historically had virtually no marketing longevity.
Still, she might have been marketable going forward, were it not for the brighter star eclipsing her.
It's lousy timing for Lindsey.
She was one of the greatest of all time.

Last edited:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't want to dive into the political foray, but I honestly don't see what is so wrong about her comments. She simply stated she wants to represent the people of the US, and believes strongly in what the games is to represent. Clearly doesn't hold the current president in high regard. And then when directly asked about going to the White House if invited said she wouldn't attend. (Not the first nor last to say so)

I'm reminded of golf where players got a pile of flack for being robots in interviews, giving stock answers and were frankly boring to hear from.....but then were quickly lambasted when they did speak their mind and give a real personal thought.

It's her view and opinion. I don't see her comments as anti-American, if disagreeing with the president is anti-American or not to like the president is anti-American how would one classify those that disliked Obama and didn't agree with his views? It was ok then but not now? Like pushing the birther issue against President Obama was so "American" but for some reason disagreeing with President Trump is now "anti-American"? Seriously.

I'm just an outside observer here but the beauty of the system is to be able to disagree and debate with those that don't share your world views, then find some common ground and understanding. Currently the system is setup so adversarial and faction like that it's one team against another at all costs instead of two groups finding a way to understand each other and working together.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I thought she was skiing for Team USA, since when did the the USA Olympic Team start representing the POTUS?
Just because somebody has world class athletic abilities and possibly best ever abilities doesn't mean anyone cares about your political stance.
She should shut up and win races as that's where your money comes from, not your political choice.

I don't want to dive into the political foray, but I honestly don't see what is so wrong about her comments. She simply stated she wants to represent the people of the US, and believes strongly in what the games is to represent. Clearly doesn't hold the current president in high regard. And then when directly asked about going to the White House if invited said she wouldn't attend. (Not the first nor last to say so)

I'm reminded of golf where players got a pile of flack for being robots in interviews, giving stock answers and were frankly boring to hear from.....but then were quickly lambasted when they did speak their mind and give a real personal thought.

It's her view and opinion. I don't see her comments as anti-American, if disagreeing with the president is anti-American or not to like the president is anti-American how would one classify those that disliked Obama and didn't agree with his views? It was ok then but not now? Like pushing the birther issue against President Obama was so "American" but for some reason disagreeing with President Trump is now "anti-American"? Seriously.

I'm just an outside observer here but the beauty of the system is to be able to disagree and debate with those that don't share your world views, then find some common ground and understanding. Currently the system is setup so adversarial and faction like that it's one team against another at all costs instead of two groups finding a way to understand each other and working together.

You can bet a lot of money that UA is not happy.

Apparently LV has not learned much from the empty seat protesting of the NFL fans. Bad move!

Brilliant skier, but she just cooked herself in the court of public opinion. UA’s market is the people of the flyover states, you know... The same one who elected the POTUS!

I really appreciate greatness, but I do not appreciate celebrities giving their opinions on politics, I turn on the news channels for opinions from so called pundits.

I will not be rooting for LV ever again.

Don Duran

Skier
My point wasn't to suggest we are protesting anything. I just feel it is sad when wearing a stupid ski outfit could be seen as support for a spokesperson's political agenda. What a world...

Don Duran

Skier
I agree and if bringing up the controvery is seen as politically motivated I appologize. Hopefully my last post shows how frustrating and complex something as simple as what you wear has become. It's just sad.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I don’t care about Lindsey’s politics.
I care about having a strong team.
Let’s hope she can find her form on the snow.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t care about Lindsey’s politics.
I care about having a strong team.
Let’s hope she can find her form on the snow.

She was a non-factor in the first run in St. Moritz today, +3.33 seconds off of MS’s leading run before the 2nd run was cancelled apparently due to fog.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
That is a surprise to no one.
Let's see how she looks in the SG.
I am afraid she's done, but I hope I'm wrong.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Um, it's not that we all agree that what Lindsey said was wrong. Stating political opinions can also lose you ski partners.

I also believe that Pugski doesn't do politics at all. So perhaps we ought to can it up.
Thank you for saying this.
When LV's interview went viral, I knew there was a real chance that it would come up in a discussion here, and I realize that it has potential to be a hot topic.

I appreciate that our membership has the wherewithal to have a civil discussion and let it go.
For me, its not whether or not I agree with her or disagree with her, its that I really prefer a more balance and articulate response from an athlete in interviews like this.
LV has been, and still has potential to be, an amazing racer, but she's never been particular engaging in interviews.

@Don Duran your post is not out of line, and is actually something I appreciate because it proves our point of not having a politics and hot topics area on this site.
A persons politics can get in the way of good relationships.

Here is a reminder of our policy on PHT
Politics, Religion, and Hot Topics
This is a community for talking about skis, skiing, and everything related to skis and skiing. Discussion about subjects such as global warming as it relates to skiing will be allowed so long as it remains respectful and healthy; however, general discussion about politics, religion, and hot topics will not be allowed. We reserve the right to define these categories.
As long as this discussion stays ski/olympic related and civil its okay.
The minute it turns ugly, we'll close the thread and delete the ugliness. :D

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
She was a non-factor in the first run in St. Moritz today, +3.33 seconds off of MS’s leading run before the 2nd run was cancelled apparently due to fog.
Spoiled in a fashion thread before noon, that's a first :huh:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Started at 53 you need to learn how to use the
Spoiler alert function

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get it, but it's sad.
Lindsey is jockeying for a post skiing life career...which IMHO is smarter that most athletes who think they will go on forever. I commend her for that. I am surprised ANY publicist would think that this was a good idea. Yes, she is in the twilight of her racing career and IF you are going to say this...make sure you win first. Political preference aside...IMHO, no good is going to come of it. Like @Started at 53 said..UA cannot be happy about it. IIRC Steph Curry did something similar right after he signed with them. UA must be thinking WTF...we need to ad something to these contracts Pronto.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
LV's result in the SL run of the combined is not a "big deal", shall we say. It's a different beast.

I would bet that her agents/managers have huddled and are once again giving her parameters of what she should and should not be discussing. Politics....out. No. Need to work around this now.

Her future is going to be dependent on appealing to a wide horizon of people, as she transitions out of being "an Olympic Ski Racer" and into a personality.....maybe a sports personality.

I was surprised to see this, as she has been very well coached on this "stuff." She has come a LONG way in front on a camera, etc.

I have never heard her described as a real "rocket surgeon", and sticking to her lane would seem important. She stepped right out of it here.

Under Armor needs a lot of "help", BTW. Hopefully for them this blows by.

And for her......