• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tuning waxing kids skis worth it?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Wanted to know if it is work waxing and tuning kids skis, by kids skis I mean for a 5 and 7 year old like size 80 90 or 100s.

I guess they would be good to learn on. I haven't waxed or tuned skis but bought a kit and saw several youtube videos that walk you though it.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Absolutely yes if you want your kids to like skiing, ski safely and ski well.

Kids who can't slide can't develop good technique. If you have no edges you can't learn fundamental safety as skills like side-slipping or side-stepping or be able to stop quickly in an emergency.

Kids are light weight and often struggle on flat traverses and run outs, even with well waxed skis. No wax means lots of walking, dragging, pushing, towing and tears. Not to mention that slow and stopped small kids on these areas are hugely vulnerable.

You do everyone a favour if kids have well tuned skis.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes and no... ;)

Most likely the little skis have the non-sintered base material, so hot waxing won't do much good. You could rub some instead and should last the day.

You should always brush the base clean though, make sure it's structured and sharpen the edges - at that age not razor sharp, but an edge that is not dull will help! The kids will take care to nick the edges pretty well every now and then, so it will be some workout for your files and diamonds. After filing them sharp, take the detuning stone along the edge for a couple of passes, to take some of the sharpness out of it, until they're 10/12 years old or start skiing really well.

The role of the wax would mostly be to ensure a more consistent glide, not a fast glide and also to protect the base somewhat.

cheers

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Hello

Wanted to know if it is work waxing and tuning kids skis, by kids skis I mean for a 5 and 7 year old like size 80 90 or 100s.

I guess they would be good to learn on. I haven't waxed or tuned skis but bought a kit and saw several youtube videos that walk you though it.
Depends upon how much you love your kids. :duck:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's see, that size takes me about 3 sips of beer, so yes. :) I did 8 pairs last year for friend who was purchasing them for his nieces and nephews. Nothing fancy, a 1/2 edge and quick layer of wax plus brushing.

Wax makes it easier to turn and have the kids have more fun.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When it's cold enough so snow freezes to ski bases, at pretty cold temps, when kids can already be a little fussy... ya, no wax or wrong wax can hamper the ability of little ones just trying to get down the flat beginner stuff while possibly also fighting a stiff uphill wind. Don't ask me how I learned this lesson.. Dad fail 101 hahahaha!

Also a problem on warm spring days when it gets mushy.. but not as bad as frozen bases..

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I waxed my daughters skis recently and she complained they were too fast.

Provided the skis are sliding I personally don't think it's much of a deal one way or another fir very young kids.

I wax my own skis every 3-5 days on snow. I reckon 8-10 days would be fine for the little ones.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I wax my kids skis once or twice a year (for half-dozen uses at most). It's does help them slide nicely, as others have mentioned.

But the main reason I don't mind doing it is because it goes so quick. small skis = quick work.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hello

Jeezuz, yes. Wax them!!! Skis that are sticking is a complete deal breaker for a kid's ski day. You'd be amazed at the lesson saving wonders of even rub on wax. Learning to do a basic tune and iron wax is not difficult. We're not talking race tunes. ogsmile

Last edited:

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Same as everyone else... wax them and sharpen them and keep them in good working order.

They don't need a WC tune, but good wax and clean edges free of nicks. This isn't only about skiing but also about them not getting cut when the pick them up. I'm sure you're like the rest of the ski parents that feel like their main purpose is to be the kid's personal Sherpa, but at some point, they'll have to pick them up. I went through this too :ogcool:. It also brings in the understanding that gear needs to be tended to and needs to be respected. I remember seeing my daughter mash her race ski on the other ski's heel binding to take them off. I was shocked and said "Hey! I spent on hour on them last night!" She never did it again. She didn't know as like many kids, had no idea what parents go through to get them through the day (wash clothes, buy groceries, tune skis, etc.). She also (her choice) did learn how to tune, but didn't care for it but appreciated the effort that goes into it. Fortunately, I love to tune and secretly thought of her encroaching on my territory, so I was happy she didn't take to it

Even at 5 and 7, they can easily hit 20 mph even if they don't want to. You probably wouldn't let them ride a bike at that speed without checking the brakes and making sure the chain is oiled or had the right tire pressure. Clean edges will help them hold an edge and even if only doing a duck walk or side stepping on ice, it will hold there too.

It will also help the skis last so the gear the 7 y/o is on can go to the 5 y/o some day.

Have fun.

Ken

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Same as everyone else... wax them and sharpen them and keep them in good working order.

They don't need a WC tune, but good wax and clean edges free of nicks. This isn't only about skiing but also about them not getting cut when the pick them up. I'm sure you're like the rest of the ski parents that feel like their main purpose is to be the kid's personal Sherpa, but at some point, they'll have to pick them up. I went through this too :ogcool:. It also brings in the understanding that gear needs to be tended to and needs to be respected. I remember seeing my daughter mash her race ski on the other ski's heel binding to take them off. I was shocked and said "Hey! I spent on hour on them last night!" She never did it again. She didn't know as like many kids, had no idea what parents go through to get them through the day (wash clothes, buy groceries, tune skis, etc.). She also (her choice) did learn how to tune, but didn't care for it but appreciated the effort that goes into it. Fortunately, I love to tune and secretly thought of her encroaching on my territory, so I was happy she didn't take to it

Even at 5 and 7, they can easily hit 20 mph even if they don't want to. You probably wouldn't let them ride a bike at that speed without checking the brakes and making sure the chain is oiled or had the right tire pressure. Clean edges will help them hold an edge and even if only doing a duck walk or side stepping on ice, it will hold there too.

It will also help the skis last so the gear the 7 y/o is on can go to the 5 y/o some day.

Have fun.

Ken
Ha, you live in some awesome dream world. At that age, my kids didn't call me dad - they call me Tenzing Norgay. I wax all the time. Also as draft horse, it's much easier to pull them as I get my skate skiing workout on the flats. Cheers

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
When I rented skis for my granddaughter, after setting and adjusting the bindings, the shop guy would take the skis over to the wax machine and put a coat of wax on the bases before bringing them to us. I think that having skis that swivel easier will be easier for a kid to learn to turn them.

If you only give them skis that glide easily, they will learn to deal with them and it won't be that scary. Once they learn how to deal with a ski that glides easily, they will only complain about skis that stick, like in spring conditions.

If they get used to sticky skis to begin with, and you give them a waxed ski, they will be too busy fighting the fear to learn much.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since I don't wax and tune my skis too often, I didn't do the kid's skis often either. Do the edges when the edges are bad AND when the conditions call for it - but who wants to ski on ice? Certainly not my spoiled kids. Race parents/kids are diffrerent (insane?)

Wax is another issue. Wax only lasts me a run or two. Those runs feel weird. I don't actually like waxed skis. (But I don't race much - I'd be all in to wax for a race if it makes me faster. But serious racers know the speed advantage is only there for that run.) So giving kids variable feeling skis is not high on my priority list.

My kids are grown now. Now I have to tune and wax their skis all the time. Lazy demanding kids.

By tuning with them when they were little, they learned that I was OK at tuning skis. Now they want my tunes. When my wax guru buddy shows up, he has to do everyone's skis. Smart kids.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online