• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico TSV upgrades proposed

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TSV proposes significant upgrades, including replacing lifts 2 & 8 and building a gondola from the base to the Bavarian Area.

83B22DFE-CC71-41A5-BF19-4A2F7D5C6349.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have yet to make it to Taos. :(

TS
pais alto

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Well, you won’t know how much it’s changed, so there’s that.

Edit: I say that because you won’t have any old fart nostalgia. :huh:

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A base to base gondola will make the condos on that side a much better option than they are now.
(Even more so if they run it after skiing closes for the day.)

Not sure why 2 needs to be replaced, but 8 is really slow.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^ Well, you won’t know how much it’s changed, so there’s that.

Edit: I say that because you won’t have any old fart nostalgia. :huh:
I feel ya on that one.
Its not easy to see changes made to a grass roots place that you've made your home.

There are a handful of places that @Philpug and I talk about "getting to some day" ...
Taos
Telluride
Crested Butte
Alyeska
among a few others...

TS
pais alto

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its not easy to see changes made to a grass roots place that you've made your home.

There are a handful of places that @Philpug and I talk about "getting to some day" ...
Taos
Telluride
Crested Butte
Alyeska
among a few others...

Funny, those are just about my four favorites.

But then, I’ve never been to Mt. Rose.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are the lifts gonna be detachable quads or 6-packs?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, those are just about my four favorites.

But then, I’ve never been to Mt. Rose.
You just let me know when you want to ski Rose and we'll be happy to host you.

Oddly enough Rose came through for us again yesterday.
We drove to Alpine Meadows to find packed parking lots, so we made a U-turn in the parking lot, drove to Mt Rose, parked near the lodge and skied for a few hours with no lift lines.

Last edited:
TS
pais alto

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are the lifts gonna be detachable quads or 6-packs?

This is pure speculation - 2 might well be a detachable quad, and maybe 8, but no 6 packs is my guess.

@KingGrump, whaddaya think?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Taking a step back and looking at the big picture, there is lots of money being thrown around the valley by Bacon. To the tune of $300+ million. Makes me wonder where he is going with all these developments. What is his end game? He is a smart rich dude, I am sure he knows.

I have been skiing Taos for a long time. They have lost lots of skier visits over the last 20+ years. Many of the regulars have aged out or died. They need new blood. I am not seeing it. The place is like a ghost town most afternoons. The weekends are busier but not like most other resorts that I have visited recently. I meant not being crowded is a good thing but having the resort going out of business due to insufficient skier visits is definitely a bad thing.

We called chair #8 as the slow chair to nowhere. The groomers are usually used for teaching purposes. It is also the catch all for the skiers coming off the West Basin Ridge and Wild West Glade. With the new chair #1, we just by pass #8 and skied down to #1 to get back up to #2. Much quicker. A new chair will stop the traffic from going all the way down to #1. Reducing crowds on White Feather. That is a good thing.

Chair #2 do get a little crowded in the morning. 5 to10 minutes wait at most. It's usually ski on in the afternoon. A new chair would make lapping the upper front much faster but I'll need younger legs. I see a high speed quad here rather than a six pack.

What all these new chair still need is more skiers visits.

The gondola along the Return Trail is as much a summer project as it is for winter operations. The main base for Taos summer operations is up at the area around chair #4, The Bavarian and the Phenix Grill. Parking is very limited up there. Twining Road is the only access to that area. Twining Road is a unpaved dirt road. In order for the Ski Valley to ramp up summer operations there they needed an alternative method to get people up there without their cars.

In the winter, the gondola can move skiers to chair #4 from the base on a big powder day. They can open chair #4 area quickly since avy mitigation on Kachina Peak is performed by Gazex. Much quicker than the manual mitigation methods on the Highline Ridge which sits above Honeysuckle. The primary access path from chair #2 to the backside. This will split the crowd making a big powder day lift line more tolerable.

I am still wondering where all these developments are leading to.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is pure speculation - 2 might well be a detachable quad, and maybe 8, but no 6 packs is my guess.

@KingGrump, whaddaya think?
The "scoping letter" submitted to the FS (https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=61390) lists:
  • Lift 2: "The lift would be upgraded to either a detachable or fixed grip quad"
  • Lift 4: "The existing fixed-grip lift would be replaced with a detachable or fixed grip quad"
It's not unusual for the final built lift to vary form the plan but usually those variations are to lower cost lifts not higher cost most of the time

Some might find it hard to complain about the gondola plan but I worry that it will significantly increase consumer costs. Gondolas are expensive. And this gondola only servers one low usage green run.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
The gondola wouldn't be just for Rubezahl (the green return trail), it would give access to lift #4 without having to take lift #1, ski down to take #2, then ski down to #4. And lift #4 brings you up to the Kachina lift, as well as some nice blue runs back down to the Bavarian.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I meant not being crowded is a good thing but having the resort going out of business due to insufficient skier visits is definitely a bad thing.
I can't see Taos going out of business. Vail or Alterra would buy them long before that would ever happen.

Sponsor

Staff online