• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Train Wrecks: why do they happen in the technical discussions?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
so much so, I put it (car forums) out of my mind for my own mental well being!....The more "hoity toity" the car...the more...ummm..."passionate" the discussions....

heh, heh....

I have to smile. ;) I bet the discussions on what is 'hoity toity' are extremely passionate. Especially between the VW Bug guys and the Ferrari guys.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a Jaguar guy come to a Miata Club meeting because he bought his wife a Miata, because she wanted one. Really cool couple.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a Jaguar guy come to a Miata Club meeting because he bought his wife a Miata, because she wanted one. Really cool couple.
and he wasn't a pompous ass. Remember, if you can't see the pompous ass at a car meet, it must be....D'oh...

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I have to smile. ;) I bet the discussions on what is 'hoity toity' are extremely passionate. Especially between the VW Bug guys and the Ferrari guys.

you should "hear' the guys over at the Bimmer forums!.....no matter what though, they like my E-36 home made trailer. (shameless plug, there JP) I call it the equalizer or ""de-hoity-toity ray gun" gotta have a sense of humor after all!

JP
okay, back on topic...chugga chugga.....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My husband, who drives a BMW, has a favorite joke: "How can you tell the difference between a BMW and a cactus?"

"On a cactus, the pricks are on the outside!"

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I worked for a couple of years with a guy who is one of the biggest Porsche collectors in the world. Primarily twin cams. His collection is beyond amazing. Whenever he sells one, which is very rarely, it's setting a new record. Guy has friends like Bill Gates, Jerry Seinfeld and their mechanics on speed dial. Just has loved the cars since he was a kid...long before he could afford one. It's his passion and it's made him a great deal of money.

The. Most. Down. To. Earth. Guy. You would make a serious mistake by pre-judging him based on this interest. His daily drivers are a lot less exotic. Last I knew his wife was driving an older X3, with a stick. He's always got something that he picked up word of mouth. Last I knew he had an early generation Audi S8 with a zillion miles on the clock. Also has a truck in the rotation.

I've had a lot of conversation on a few car forums, generally about maintenance issues, and minor upgrades. I've found, like most forums, if you have a specific question, or some specific knowledge, people will help and/or appreciate your insight. And yep it is also a breeding ground for the boldly clueless.

Logged a lot of time in the Audi forum world. And a few other brands. Never had any issues. Learned a ton, passed on a bit less. Nice people. The tone and delivery matters.

If you get out over your tips, people tend to get "impatient." My biggest issue in the last few years of Epic, BTW. People who don't know, and won't let go. To many arguments. Let's avoid them here, PLEASE.

This will almost certainly be my last ski school post. Will be sticking to what I know!

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
you should "hear' the guys over at the Bimmer forums!.....no matter what though, they like my E-36 home made trailer. (shameless plug, there JP) I call it the equalizer or ""de-hoity-toity ray gun" gotta have a sense of humor after all!

JP
okay, back on topic...chugga chugga.....

4 Wheel or 2 Wheel. It really does matter. Then there are 2 wheels and 2 jugs, all others don't count. :D

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
Good one T-square!

yeah, Im a Bimmer owner...so its all tongue in cheek to me, Muleski....no offense at all meant....Im a dyed in the wool car guy too....who else would restore a 2000 dodge dakota?
bucket list:

batmobile
Mach 5
Chitty

production cars:

Alfa Giulia
GT40
AC Cobra
BMW Z07
Aston Martin DB7
Jag XK

stuff like that...

heres my trailer thread....I ask the same question as T-Square....2 or 4 wheels? it does matter......;)

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/home-spun-accessories-trailers-ski-or-bike-stuff.5198/

wow....way off topic...Even this train HAD a rail....

JP

James

Out There
Instructor
All these technical reasons that specifically relate to skiing likely have nothing to do with it. I remember years ago on epic when we discussed this problem. There were many examples of people saying "you should see what the ___ forum is like". One I remember was a cycling forum in which they had a long knock down drag out fight over ... lol... whether sunglasses should go underneath or over the helmet chin strap. I'm not kidding.
Many years ago during the original Scsa wars, i had coworkers who were immensely entertained by the arguments going on over the wedge. They'd ask me "what's happening now?" They considered it about as ridiculous as the glasses and chin strap debate.

There's nothing wrong with a good argument. But I have been accused by friends of being argumenative or a contrarian.
They're wrong of course.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
One I remember was a cycling forum in which they had a long knock down drag out fight over ... lol... whether sunglasses should go underneath or over the helmet chin strap. I'm not kidding.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
My next door neighbor named her dog "beemer" after her car.

I guess I need to tell her to change the name ......

Tho she now has an S class, so doesn't matter.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Buckle? Your chin strap has a buckle! You're ignoring decades of advances in chin strap technology and obviously a danger to yourself and those around you. Repent now, before it's too late!

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Went over to a neighbors for a beer tasting the other night....the pamphlet he handed out began as follows:

"Few debates cause more friction between beer enthusiasts as the argument over what separates a porter from a stout"

LOL!!! BTW those Baltic Porters...pretty good!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This place is mild compared to car forums. :eek:
IME car forums have a lot of ignorance. People THINK they know stuff cuz they heard it from someone etc. When faced with physical realities, they retreat to dogma and belief... Engineering doesn't make much slack for belief..

Sponsor

Staff online