• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado TR: 11th Annual Mother's Day at Arapahoe Basin

James

Out There
Instructor
We can get @jimmy.

Are we posting reports in here or we do we have another room for that?

Today, soft firm in the am. Got out about 9:15. Non groomed a lottle dicey early. Definitely threatened to get very warm.

IMG_2138.JPG
9:40 Lenawee Chair not exactly crowded.

IMG_2139.JPG
Some blue sky early.

IMG_2140.JPG
Black Mt Lodge was happening. 12:45 Sun was out. Starting to get warm.

IMG_2142.JPG
But wait! Stuff coming in five min later. Looking right from Lenawee chair.

IMG_2143.JPG
Headed over to Montezuma. Over there it was quite windy. Storm coming from there.

IMG_2145.JPG
Skis of the day. Meet the new poles, same as the old poles. But shorter.

IMG_2150.JPG
Started to get a tad foggy at 'Zuma. 2pm.

IMG_2151.JPG
Graupel starting to fall.

IMG_2152.JPG
Started snowing for real. Came back to Black Mt.

IMG_2153.JPG
Went in to get some tea because it was freezing. Damp cold. Snowing outside.

IMG_2155.JPG
Snow while inside. 2:45

IMG_2159.JPG
It cleared late. Everyone left.

IMG_2160.JPG
Late rewards. 3:30

IMG_2161.JPG
Clouds moving south east.

The ghastly sun came back and made stuff sticky. Caught the 4:05 chair. Exhibition was pretty good for last run.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moved two posts from the GTG thread to a new TR Thread.
Welcome to Mother's Day Week at Arapahoe Basin!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@James I just read your TR and am intrigued by the change in weather from the beginning of the day to the end.
Where were those dirt patches in your second photo?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@James I just read your TR and am intrigued by the change in weather from the beginning of the day to the end.

I think those are just to the left as you get off Pali?

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty sure that was off cornice run at the top looking towards Zuma. But I really don't remember. The grass looked really cool through prizm rose goggles. I don't think I took photos the one time I took the Pali chair.

Coverage is very good in general. Lots of people hiking up east wall. Also up North Pole. I would bet some got caught in the storm.

IMG_2146.JPG
This guy was started up North Pole. 20 min later is my fogged out Zuma chair photo.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How did the Prizm Rose goggles do in the darkest part of the day?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
We can get @jimmy.

Are we posting reports in here or we do we have another room for that?

Today, soft firm in the am. Got out about 9:15. Non groomed a lottle dicey early. Definitely threatened to get very warm.

9:40 Lenawee Chair not exactly crowded.

Some blue sky early.

Black Mt Lodge was happening. 12:45 Sun was out. Starting to get warm.

But wait! Stuff coming in five min later. Looking right from Lenawee chair.

Headed over to Montezuma. Over there it was quite windy. Storm coming from there.

Skis of the day. Meet the new poles, same as the old poles. But shorter.

Started to get a tad foggy at 'Zuma. 2pm.

Graupel starting to fall.

Started snowing for real. Came back to Black Mt.

Went in to get some tea because it was freezing. Damp cold. Snowing outside.

Snow while inside. 2:45

It cleared late. Everyone left.

Late rewards. 3:30

Clouds moving south east.

The ghastly sun came back and made stuff sticky. Caught the 4:05 chair. Exhibition was pretty good for last run.

I'm proud of you! Almost a full day (we'll talk about the late start another time) ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
@dean_spirito why aren't you at happy hour?
AKA Permagrin!

I'm taking care of my kid. And I can't even claim him as a tax deduction! But the whole happy family will be at the Basin tomorrow. Should we expect to see you??

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm taking care of my kid. And I can't even claim him as a tax deduction! But the whole happy family will be at the Basin tomorrow. Should we expect to see you??
Toward the end of the day. Picking up more skis at 8 AM in Boulder, then picking up Zigz and Higz then heading to A-Basin

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Some photos from today. Not many because my phone was hiding this morning so I left without it.

The day started off with the dreaded clear blue sky and the sun rising at an alarming rate and threatening the snow. It did soften the frozen snow fairly quickly. Fortunately the cavalry in the form of dark clouds arrived to save the snow from torture. New snow then proceeded to fall from the sky for maybe an hour.
@cgeib had to leave after 1 run because Lori broke her wrist on the trail this morning.
IMG_2058.JPG
Here's @jimmy with the cavalry arriving behind.
That's over near Falcon. We then proceeded to go over there and @dean_spirito coaches us on jumping stuff. We went through Land of Giants jumping lottle stuff. That was after we spent probably three runs through the park doing jumps.

Back over to Falcon for the rock drop end of rope fence skier's right. Looks like nothing, but mildly terrifying. Lots of speed upon landing.

IMG_2063.PNG
@James

IMG_2064.PNG
@Drahtguy Kevin

IMG_2065.PNG
@Mike King

There's some very short vid clips but I don't know how to upload.

Thanks to @dean_spirito for the jump and drop coaching! Lots of fun amidst the fear. I think tomorrow we should bring a shovel to Land of Giants to clear small rocks.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
How did the Prizm Rose goggles do in the darkest part of the day?
Prizm Rose was fine out here. With nearly two miles less atmosphere than eastern skiing the Prizm Rose seems to do fine over the brighter orange. For me, the orange threatens to be too much light. When that happens I get sick and it causes problems. Back east Prizm Rose is too dark, I wanted to try the Hi Pink Prizm but haven't yet.

Today I actually used some mirrored Oakley which is fairly bright for a darkish lens. Not horrendous but too dark if you want to see well. I'm practicing not seeing.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@cgeib had to leave after 1 run because Lori broke her wrist on the trail this morning.

Whaaaat? Lori, heal fast!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question - How often has @James started a TR?
Thanks for sharing!!

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Well today was cut short due to lightning. Usual pattern. Sunny in the am, storm clouds moving in around 1:30-2. Then snow. Today's clouds brought thunder much closer than yesterday's, and visible lighning. This happened on top of the Lenawee lift about 2:15. The group decided to go down and ski the lower until it continued, at which point the 6th Alley looked best.

IMG_2171.JPG
Beautiful am. Unless you're a snowflake. 9:45

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG
@FairToMiddlin, @Philpug, @Mike King, @Cgeib, @Bob Barnes. Top of Lenawee chair. Shortly before ending due to weather. 1:50

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG
Not even 3:30 and we're all done. There was a chance they might reopen, but no.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How did the Prizm Rose goggles do in the darkest part of the day?[/QUOTE
Prizm Rose was fine out here. With nearly two miles less atmosphere than eastern skiing the Prizm Rose seems to do fine over the brighter orange. For me, the orange threatens to be too much light. When that happens I get sick and it causes problems. Back east Prizm Rose is too dark, I wanted to try the Hi Pink Prizm but haven't yet.

Today I actually used some mirrored Oakley which is fairly bright for a darkish lens. Not horrendous but too dark if you want to see well. I'm practicing not seeing.
Maybe someone will have some there. I'm so torn between the two (rose and hi pink). Being a one goggle/one lense person I need to be sure it's not too dark for the normally cloudy days I ski here, or blinding when I get to ski somewhere that the sun shines.

Oh well, the longer I procrastinate the less money I spend.

Sponsor