• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Total Physical Fitness

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are four bases to score a home run of physical fitness, including ski fitness:
  • Strength
  • Cardio-vascular/Aerobic
  • Flexibility
  • Balance
(And a good night's sleep and good nutrition)

Pick the routines that work best for you, and (a) don't neglect any of these, (b) don't over-concentrate on any of these. If you think you need to work on leg strength, you're probably sitting back on your skis. Work on leg strength along with full body strength and total fitness. For me, strength training is weights and body-weight exercises. Cardio is mainly bike riding. Flexibility and balance are mainly yoga. What works for you to tag all bases? (A good night's sleep comes easy for me.** Good nutrition for me is a plate with about 2/3 steamed fresh vegetables or fresh fruit and about 1/3 protein. Nothing weird or factory-made.* Balanced nutrition is NOT a double cheeseburger in one hand and supersized fries in the other.)

*Michael Pollan's books on food and eating are great! Look especially into his In Defense Of Food. https://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/

**For jet lag when I fly to Europe or Asia I use a system I saw from some travel writer. A zolpidem (Ambien) tablet on the flight and one the arrival night at the destination each way works wonders. My gut plumber has no problem prescribing 4 zolpidem tablets a year for me. Some people cannot tolerate that drug, so ask for five tablets. Try one at home. If it causes trouble for you, put the remainder into a drug disposal at a pharmacy or elsewhere.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
1663273148057.png

Sponsor

Staff online