• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Top 3 Colorado resorts for well-groomed blue runs in your opinion?

JPM22

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Beaver Creek. Great set of blue groomers (Harrier, Strawberry Park, etc.), a few steeper ones mixed in on the front of the mountain. Not sure they do it much anymore, but they also used to groom the downhill course every once in a while…

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only two that I have recent experience with. Neither would be at the top of the list.

I visit Purgatory every season. They have a collection of great intermediate long rollers off of the Hermosa Park lift that used to be groomed daily. Not sure what's going on, but over the last few seasons, their commitment to grooming has been lacking. A run identified as "groomed" seems to mean "groomed in the last couple of days or so." And late season, seems like they just put the groomers away and you get what you get.

Wolf Creek is a great place for advanced skiers. The area sits on a broad ridge with about 1600 vertical. Some nice blue groomers off the top and some easier runs on the western shoulder of the ridge, but the attraction here is not the pistes. The bowls, chutes and glades from the ridge are pretty much 100% skiable and Wolf Creek is known for abundant powder.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Breck peaks 7 and 10 might have the most interesting groomers. Peak 9 too crowded. You even get a groomer from very top to very bottom. At Vail, like a lot of mountains, groomers seem like a narrow slice of the whole resort and often are long traverse / runouts, excepting Riva which is fine but aso a long disjoint runout at the end. I have not been to Snowmass, but have not seen a place where I thought this place specializes in groomers and they are the best. Interesting idea. ** edit. Although right now I guess just about every real slope is groomed, does not seem like there has been good snow there in a long time **

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Agree on Keystone and Vail. Keystone Blues and Blacks aren't very different from each other as I recall, groomed fairly steep, long runs. If the conditions are good it's hard to beat.

Vail has a ton of great intermediate terrain, Northstar area is great, Blue Sky Basin doesn't have long groomers, but it is an amazingly fun place to ski if you like groomed terrain, as they have areas of trees where they groom between the trees, and lots of varied terrain both groomed and ungroomed.

Also agree on Snowmass, haven't been in a long time, but it's a great mountain.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I'm curious why Steamboat isn't getting any votes? Everything was kept in really good shape the two days I was there.

Sponsor