• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Toko T8 Iron Question

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Hi Waxers,

I am measuring the aluminum base of my T8 with an IR thermometer and getting readings of 48-49 degrees C with the dial set at 140C. If I crank the heat all the way up I can't get a reading much above 65C. Thoughts? Insights?

Thanks!
G

James

Out There
Instructor
How is it melting the wax and what types of wax?

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to ask the same thing. I just shot my T8 with an IR thermometer and it read 80°C with the iron set at 145°C and it works fine with high melt waxes. Soft universals usually are around 120°C without smoking.

My experience with IR thermometer accuracy can depend of the reflective qualities of the target. One customer returned an iron because his IR thermometer didn't match the iron setting. I tested it and it worked fine. So try it on various temperature waxes. The T8s are tried and true irons that are fairly robust and have a moderate plate density.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Kind of like using a phone app to tell you it's cold when sitting on a chairlift.

TS
A

apache

Booting up
Inactive
I was going to ask the same thing. I just shot my T8 with an IR thermometer and it read 80°C with the iron set at 145°C and it works fine with high melt waxes. Soft universals usually are around 120°C without smoking.

My experience with IR thermometer accuracy can depend of the reflective qualities of the target. One customer returned an iron because his IR thermometer didn't match the iron setting. I tested it and it worked fine. So try it on various temperature waxes. The T8s are tried and true irons that are fairly robust and have a moderate plate density.

When I was reading up reviews with this iron somebody had posted that they were getting equal readings, dial = IR Thermometer. I should have remembered from college physics (ages ago) about the whole black body radiation thing (reflection, transmission, absorption, and emissivity). I am getting a reading of 71 degrees C with the dial between 140-150C. Thanks! G

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I use a Coverite thermometer (developed for applying iron-on coverings for R/C airplanes), seems to be accurate and it's very inexpensive too...

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll go with what I wrote in the other forum. Try melting a cold hydrocarbon wax (like CH4). If it melts, the iron is working. Another thing you could try (never tried this, don't know if it would work) is make a big black dot on the base plate with a sharpie (wipes off with acetone). Shoot the dot with the IR thermometer and see if the reading is closer to expected. If you have a really good meat thermometer like a Thermapen, touching it to the baseplate will give a good reading. If you are using this iron where temps really matter (e.g. fluoros) buy the Coverite mentioned above, it is cheap insurance. Some company used to make an iron holder with a temp readout on it.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I use a multimeter that includes a thermocouple probe for taking temperatures. That's what I use for checking my wax iron temp (I have a Toko iron too). When I check it with the thermocouple, it's always around 4 degrees C under the temp indicated on the iron.

Concerning your iron not getting hot enough: Check the voltage rating on the iron. It's on the "base" end of the iron imprinted in the plastic. A US iron will be rated 120v. A 'euro iron will be rated 220v or 240v.

To use a 120v iron in Europe, you'll need a plug adapter and a transformer.

Similar deal if you actually have a 220v 'euro iron that you want to use in the US... BUT: that could be tricky for a high wattage thing like an iron and could mean you have to use the iron+adapter+transformer via an outlet rated for 20 amps. Even then, it may still under-perform.

It's also possible your iron was assembled incorrectly. Basically, they may have mistakenly mated a 'euro 220v iron to a US cord assembly. That would definitely explain why your iron seems to generate about half the heat that it should. It can happen.

Lastly, if you're positive you have an iron with the right rated voltage for the country you're using it in then use a multimeter to check the voltage at the outlet, as the voltage may be way too low. I've been in hotels/hostels that had power so bad that my wax iron couldn't reach temp as usual.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hi Waxers,

I am measuring the aluminum base of my T8 with an IR thermometer and getting readings of 48-49 degrees C with the dial set at 140C. If I crank the heat all the way up I can't get a reading much above 65C. Thoughts? Insights?

Thanks!
G
A bit late here, but don't use an IR to test. As others have said the reflection can foul the reading.
On that point see the first several minutes of this video.

Then see this video about the T-8. The newer ones need work for sure.

Late, but happy waxing to you!

TS
A

apache

Booting up
Inactive
A bit late here, but don't use an IR to test. As others have said the reflection can foul the reading.
On that point see the first several minutes of this video.

Then see this video about the T-8. The newer ones need work for sure.

Late, but happy waxing to you!
Hi Jaques,

I picked up one of the spring type iron thermometers. Works like a champ. Thanks! G

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hi Jaques,

I picked up one of the spring type iron thermometers. Works like a champ. Thanks! G

Where did you get it? How much? Link for others to purchase?

Did you find the dial temp. way off from actual heat?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use the TOKO T14 with the digital readout. It is only about $112.00 on Amazon, worth every penny!

• Toko T14 digital iron has110volt/1200w and sets the standard for professional waxing irons
  • Ultra thick base plate retains heat at a more constant temperature
  • Leading edge digital thermostat stays more constant at the optimum waxing temperature
  • Ergo handle is nice for the professional technician for all day season use
  • Extremely durable

Reactions: BC.
TS
A

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Where did you get it? How much? Link for others to purchase?

Did you find the dial temp. way off from actual heat?
Hi Jacques,

Sorry, just now seeing this message. You can get one via Amazon Prime as well.

Cheers,
G