• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
So for the past 4-5 years I've been getting more and more serious about tuning and waxing. I pretty much never ski without first hot waxing and brushing out my skis. I was considering going the rotobrush route, having found what looks like a decent starter kit for around $200. I was just wondering from people who have done it how they feel about the investment. I do get kind of tired of all the hand brushing when I'm doing like 3 or more pairs, but honestly most of the time it's just one pair and it's not really too big of a deal.

So, what's the verdict, roto-people? Will it change my life? Or would I be better off finding something better to spend my $200 on?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Worth every penny my husband spent buying it for my Christmas present.

Pretty sure it didn't cost $200, though. It was too much relative to my income at the time, largely due to some massive medical bills I was dealing with, but it was cheap enough he didn't blink (and he doesn't ski). Pretty sure it was a special deal from Racewax.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
At someone's recommendation on here or Epic I picked up one of these. For less than $12, it can't be beat,

purp.jpg

Obviously, I'm not a racer, just a lazy tuner.

TS
Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I should clarify, the $200 isn't just for one brush, but it's the axle with a fancy handle on the other end, a guard, and 3 brushes: one brass, one nylon and one horsehair. Maybe I'll shop around for a cheaper solution, but that seemed to be around the going rate.

The weaver leather rotobrush is intriguing. That would certainly be a more cost-effective option. One review on Amazon said it was great for goats, so if it doesn't work out I could always get a goat :roflmao:I assume the bristles are plastic? Any opinions on using this instead of brushes designed for skis?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe @Monique got one of those purple monsters. Maybe she will chime in.

The 3 piece kit is a good way to go. I would get the kit with quick change shaft/handle instead. Never feel the requirement for the plastic guard. The fixed shaft and guard just slows things down.

Sidecut from Canada is fairly new to the mix. Never seen one in real life. I believe @Levy1 bought a kit last season.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I believe @Monique got one of those purple monsters. Maybe she will chime in.

The 3 piece kit is a good way to go. I would get the kit with quick change shaft/handle instead. Never feel the requirement for the plastic guard. The fixed shaft and guard just slows things down.

Sidecut from Canada is fairly new to the mix. Never seen one in real life. I believe @Levy1 bought a kit last season.
I was very happy with the purple brush till I saw the real deal at the Mother's Day pugski house. Actually, for $12 or whatever, and as little as I use it, the purple livestock one is great.

Regardless, wear a mask! I didn't, and breathing wax particulates is unpleasant.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nike........I mean just do it! Doing multiple pairs of skis it makes life so much easier. Even on my race and speed skis I will start with the rotobrush and just finish off with the hand brushing. I like to let the wax harden overnight so the roto means I can get them Done quickly before leaving in the morning...

And like king grump suggested, get the Swix quick change handle. Speeds up the process. Or better still get the double axle Swix with the quick change handle ....

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
https://tools4boards.com/spin-grip.html?category_id=51

This roto unit is fantastic, all metal, good bearings, not like the swix plastic one. Accepts the swix brushes (I know as I use the swix brushes). Quick change for brushes.
Much better quality than the Sidecut and Swix roto units. For those of us in Canada it can't be beat. MEC.ca also sells them.

To me a roto is a must buy when doing multiple skis....just makes the work that much easier. I only use the horsehair and nylon (blue) brushes from swix.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use a double brush handle at the shop. Brass and nylon, side by side. Run the brass after scraping, finish with the nylon. For multiple pairs at a time, it is a time and arm saver.

At home, I use the same combo but hand brushes.

Brushed skis look better and ski better.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
no mess without the cover....wax particles are being thrown down the ski.
I think the cover is for flying bristles....no real issue unless using brass. (but one should be using eye protection when roto'ing with brass)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've got the cover. I think it's needed. I've been using the roti for a few years now in the same place and the wall definitely needs some cleaning. Better the wall than me inhaling it. It not just sending stuff down the ski. It's flinging it everywhere. Ski, tuning bench, floor, face, walls. The inside of the guard is definitely coated.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you don't wax, then the question is moot. Just sayin'

@Philpug has a great roto handle. It'll eat up most of the $200 fund though and has no conviences. Like the square end of some handles which lets you rest it on the counter drill tipped down and brush is off the table.

But Phil's feels real nice when you spin it...

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
This past season was my first with a rotobrush, I purchased the 150mm wide SVST 7mm nylon brush and handle.

I regularly (weekly) tune/wax 5 pair of skis (3 pairs kids skis, wife and my own). I usually wax them assembly line style. The rotobrush is awesome and I highly recommend one. I do not use any other rotobrushes,.. however for kids races I will finish up the process with a handheld horse hair brush. When im done they look perfect.

Good luck

Sponsor