• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
It's been a good couple weeks here at Whitefish and I think I'm skiing quite a bit better on the groomed surfaces. Many mornings we've had 4-6" on new snow on top of the groomed and of course that gets chopped up pretty quick. Still it's a lot of fun to navigate the piles and ski the sides of the trail as long as the snow quality is decent.

Today we had 9" overnight but I knew it would be pretty wet and would require a different approach. Visibility was bad too and that always seems to quell my "go thoughts". So my day was less than ideal, with a lot of instances of ending up way in the back seat because I felt like I was about to go over the handle bars. Going from the packed down areas to the occasional virgin snow really unnerved me and put me on defense. I felt like i was standing on the hood of a car with a 10 year old behind the wheel.

Nine inches of real powder is now fun for me, finally. Change that to wet and I'm back where I started! So what tactics should I consider for tomorrow as we'll have a second helping I'm sure.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Ski with purpose and direction!

GO there! then Go there! It really works!

Crud comes in many forms,

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
ec169956076e0ec0cbc4701cec199b7e--snowboard-skiing.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
As you start a new turn in dense glop, pull the new inside foot back and hold it back through the turn. To start the next turn, pull the other foot back, repeat. The inside foot pull-back move is amazingly helpful in eliminating the back seat thing in this kind of snow, at least for me.

For extra credit, tip the pulled-back foot to its little toe edge as you pull it back.
For extra-extra credit, point the knee above it in the direction of the new turn.

If the new inside foot pull-back works for you today, report back. I'd like to hear if it did.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Well it's really wet today, raining just below the base lodge so I'm going to blow it off today and rest. Skiing 12 days in a row with a weather delay is acceptable to my macho tendencies. New cold snow for Monday though, 6-10"

I'm on my Rossi Sky 7's not exactly a crud buster but a delight in most soft conditions.

Agreed the bouncing is a good tactic when you are skiing through the snow but yesterday was like riding a bucking bronco. I did try the arc to arc, no skid turns and had some success with that until the speed would accumulate and I would bail out. The poor visibility kept drawing me back to the tree line and the left overs which took me back to short radius skidded turns. That's my comfort level at this point so I guess I have to have more faith in a different approach. I can see the advantage to having both skis on edge cutting through the glop with the turn radius dictating the speed. Good advice.

@LiquidFeet I've had a lot of success with the new inside foot pull back in more forgiving conditions. That, a narrower stance and keeping my hands where I can see them has really improved all aspects of my game. I've struggled mightily to get where I'm at and I'm stoked to be finally improving. A bit of a thread drift: but tell me about pulling both feet back vs just the new inside foot. Earlier I was playing around on some low angle baby moguls and tried tucking both feet under my hips to keep constant pressure on my boot cuffs. It helped keep my skis together and gave me a quicker edge to edge ability. It was fun too, I liked it so much that I've probably misapplied it. Every tool has a purpose (but you can still drive a nail with a pair of vise grips).

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Bounce, like Deb.

A lot of good advice from the other people, but bouncing is not one of them.

There is always a lot of diverse advice given, which some like to portray as good/bad, right/wrong depending on their perspective. It’s a shame that you can’t see the virtue in advice from someone as highly credentialed and successful as like Deb Armstrong. If you are going to challenge an Icon, I think it’s fair to back it up.

Instead of just criticizing, why don’t you explain why you feel this way about the technique and describe a valid alternative. I’ve seen you give good advice before. Bear in mind that this was most likely an intermediate level inquiry.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Bouncing then learn to Flex would be the best technique.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
When skiing big mountain glop, pull your feet back, keep your com forward, and slice and dice. Heavy metal skis also help. FLIR and night vision goggles come in handy too at this mountain.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm on my Rossi Sky 7's not exactly a crud buster but a delight in most soft conditions.
Maybe a day to demo Mantras, Enforcers or the like.

I hate to blame the ski, but I wouldn't want to be on those skis in those conditions. You've got to have something there to fight back against the slop and not fold over.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Keep turning. As soon as you finish a turn initiate your next turn. It will help bring together a lot of the ideas mentioned above. When this starts to feel normal to you, there is a new tool in the box.

Keep looking down your line. If you see your skis or worse your feet, you are pretty much assured you will be in the backseat.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Pole technique really seems to be important in these conditions for me also. If I'm not focusing on pole technique my form starts to fall apart quicker than usual. Keep in mind I'm a terrible skier and no one should ever listen to me.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online