• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drill Tips and drills for for-aft balance?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This thread is going downhill :) But skating in a flat is probably good for balance, and fore-aft awareness, anyways?

Yes. But I wouldn't get too worried about maximum optimization of exercise for skiing unless it's your primary sorce of income, which is unlikely for most. 'Fun' is what gets it done. (Skating is fun, and that's plenty enough reason! ogsmile ) In general if you cover the strength, flexibility, and aerobic bases, you'll be well set up for next season.Skating does all that and more!

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yes. But I wouldn't get too worried about maximum optimization of exercise for skiing unless it's your primary sorce of income, which is unlikely for most. 'Fun' is what gets it done. (Skating is fun, and that's plenty enough reason! ogsmile ) In general if you cover the strength, flexibility, and aerobic bases, you'll be well set up for next season.Skating does all that and more!

Great perspective, @markojp . This is exactly why I was asking. In my town, only teens inline-skate, so the fun thing to do would be hitting the ice-rink. Cheers!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm going to suggest hockey skates over figure skates. They force you to balance more. Figure skates are a little flatter towards the tail so you can sit back slightly, do that on hockey skate and your tailbone will hate you.

James

Out There
Instructor
Great perspective, @markojp . This is exactly why I was asking. In my town, only teens inline-skate, so the fun thing to do would be hitting the ice-rink. Cheers!
Surprised teens inline skate. Seems to have disappeared largely.
Inline skating is easier to do, cheaper, and quite varied actually. Ranges from trick skates with smaller and much harder wheels so you can have some slide, to racing skates with much larger and softer wheels.
The biggest thing is the surface it isn't flat.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
It's possible on ice skates, but you have to accelerate up to speed, and then after 3 or 4 "skiing" turns, you've scrubbed off enough speed that you have to do it all over again. Repeat repeatedly. With inline skates on a gentle hill, you can "ski" as long as the hill lasts.

When I was trying to teach a couple of my adult children to ski, they struggled until I told them, "pretend you're going down a hill on your rollerblades." After that, everything clicked in their heads and they were skiing parallel from that point on.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
What's cool with ice skates is you can 'carve' or 'slide/skid', and to varying degrees.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
What's cool with ice skates is you can 'carve' or 'slide/skid', and to varying degrees.
Don't want to throw cold water on this great discussion but saying you can carve on skates is a bit of a stretch. By definition, carving requires that the tools (skis) be capable of bending into and arc. Skates are prefixed in shape. This goes back to what I have been trying to say and that is skiing is unique in terms of the skier needing to edge and fore and aft balance against the prevailing force in order to bend the ski and create circular travel. But carry on. Enthusiasm is contagious.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Jes, do you skate? If you can't leave clean arcs on a freshly zambonied surface, I don't know what to say.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
To be fair, there is a difference between carving on skates and on skis. You do have to bend the ski and you can't bend a skate. It does appear to me based on my limited recent experience in inline skating that there is a fair amount of cross over including the finesse in turn mechanics.

Mike

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
To be fair, there is a difference between carving on skates and on skis. You do have to bend the ski and you can't bend a skate. It does appear to me based on my limited recent experience in inline skating that there is a fair amount of cross over including the finesse in turn mechanics.

Mike

Yes, let's not get derailed, please, we were doing so well. @markojp was obviously talking about ice skating (including the ice skating version of carving) as a good exercise for for-aft balance in skiing, not as a replacement or complete equivalent.

Cheers!

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Jes, do you skate? If you can't leave clean arcs on a freshly zambonied surface, I don't know what to say.

Please try to read before you respond. I am not trying to create a "Train Wreck" ogwink

I didn't say that skates can't create circular travel, I said the the definition of carving in relation to the sport of skiing requires the ski to be shaped (by the skier) to form an arc. Once that process is begun, the ski (and the skier) will travel in an arc (circle). I didn't know you could shape your skates! Being fixed in the shape of an arc, the skater needs to physically create velocity and angles. Reference OldSchool's comment on hockey skates above

In fact, if you want to get down to it, (once velocity is established), Skiing requires a range of fore and aft balance to begin, maintain and complete a turn . Skating on the other hand requires a limited range of fore and aft balance in order to stay in the sweet spot of the blade.

James

Out There
Instructor
Seriously. Where is it written that carving requires bending?
There's also debate on whether the tail really ever follows the tip exactly. (Have we settled this?)

One cool thing with ice skates is they have an inside and an outside edge. Like skis.
The other great thing about ice skating is you commit your body into the inside of the turn. Like if you've ever swooped around the net. There you have a fore and aft skate, basically commit way inside the turn and use your momentum to make a turn. Fore skate controls the radius usually.

And now for some relaxing music...
Can't do this on skis.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If I'm remembering correctly, hockey skates have quite a bit of rocker while figure skates have just a little. Looks like those speed skates have almost none.

There is a radius of curvature vs edge angle trig relationship analogous to the well-known ski sidecut radius relation. Without doing any careful thinking, it is probably something like "turn radius" = "skate radius"/sin(edge angle).

Edit - the two footed sharp turn is probably controlled by the angle between front and back skates.

It's been years since I skated, so my sense memories is a bit fuzzy here.

Last edited:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Speed skates = long straight blades for speed and acceleration
Figure skates = curved blades for ease for spins and maneuvering
Hockey skates = blend of both, curved at the front for quick turns, straight at the rear for speed and acceleration

I love teaching skaters to ski. It's a breeze direct to parallel lesson. Just build on the existing muscle memory.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Please try to read before you respond. I am not trying to create a "Train Wreck" ogwink

I didn't say that skates can't create circular travel, I said the the definition of carving in relation to the sport of skiing requires the ski to be shaped (by the skier) to form an arc. Once that process is begun, the ski (and the skier) will travel in an arc (circle). I didn't know you could shape your skates! Being fixed in the shape of an arc, the skater needs to physically create velocity and angles. Reference OldSchool's comment on hockey skates above

In fact, if you want to get down to it, (once velocity is established), Skiing requires a range of fore and aft balance to begin, maintain and complete a turn . Skating on the other hand requires a limited range of fore and aft balance in order to stay in the sweet spot of the blade.

I read your post with great clarity. It was the certainty of the 'skates can't carve' statement that seemed odd. That small skating sweetspot you mentioned often gets messed with by very large bodies trying their darndest to mess with the first PSIA fundimental.
:golfclap:

Mendieta, here's something to do to help your skiing over the summer... ogsmile Derailed, yes. Train wreck? No. Not yet.

:snowball:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Speed skates = long straight blades for speed and acceleration
Figure skates = curved blades for ease for spins and maneuvering
Hockey skates = blend of both, curved at the front for quick turns, straight at the rear for speed and acceleration

I love teaching skaters to ski. It's a breeze direct to parallel lesson. Just build on the existing muscle memory.

One of the, many, cool things about inline skates, is how you can achieve multiple rocker patterns by adjusting wheel size, frames and even axle spacers. With a little imagination, you can turn one pair of inline skates into, "all of the above".

7W9K8U9.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about ice skating? Would that be similar (and even closer to skiing), and a good workout off-season?

Ice skating definitely helps. Mamie does figure skating in Central Park Usually starting in October as prep for the ski season. She have a seasonal lesson package which works out pretty well. It definitely helps her skiing. I think she skipped a year or two due to other commitments and she said she can definitely feel the difference.

James

Out There
Instructor
Carve turn - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carve_turn

A carve turn is a skiing term, used to refer to a turning technique in which the ski shifts to one side or the other on its edges. When edged, the sidecut geometry causes the ski to bend into an arc, and the ski naturally follows this arc shape to produce a turning motion.
Well of course if you're defining a "skiing term" that would involve skis. No one is using skis on a hockey rink normally.
But since we're using wikipedia...

"Compulsory figures or school figures were formerly an aspect of the sport of figure skating, from which the sport derives its name. Carving specific patterns or figures into the ice was the original focus of the sport. The patterns of compulsory figures all derive from the basic figure eight."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_figures

Hockey skate blade profile can be quite complicated. It seems like in general the center section has a radius of 9 to 11 ft. Racing speed skates are flat in profile, and also are not hollow ground afaik.

Choo...choo...

Sponsor

Staff online