• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@Uncle-A, great stuff.

Were these 2017-2018 models? might be helpful.

Thanks.
In the photo I posted #38 are my 2015-2016 Rally and my friends new 2017-2018 Titan they are the two skis I am talking about.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
In the photo I posted #38 are my 2015-2016 Rally and my friends new 2017-2018 Titan they are the two skis I am talking about.

I bet it would be interesting to Demo a 17/18 iRally and compare against your 15/16 iRally, a true Head to Head test (pun intended!). I think Head added Graphene to the SuperShape skis in 16/17. Great writeup though, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have a pair of 2017 Rallys in a 170 that I'm quickly becoming addicted to. I just moved the bindings up 2 clicks and omg what a difference. I truly love these skis. The graphene is amazing and seems to make the ski stiffer yet so very manageable. Great skis.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is the difference between the 2017 and 18 models?
From @jo3st3 ’s post: “My only question is 2016/17 vs 2017/18 version given the PRX vs PRD bindings.”

So it appears the bindings are the only change....slightly less ramp angle with PRD.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

Uncle-A

Skier
I have a pair of 2017 Rallys in a 170 that I'm quickly becoming addicted to. I just moved the bindings up 2 clicks and omg what a difference. I truly love these skis. The graphene is amazing and seems to make the ski stiffer yet so very manageable. Great skis.
I have mine moved up one click and like it that way. Wondering what made you go two clicks and how is the ski different from the recommended location?

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have mine moved up one click and like it that way. Wondering what made you go two clicks and how is the ski different from the recommended location?

I moved up one click as well, on 177, because with the longer ski I wanted a little edge to get front pressure. I can't imagine it really makes much of a difference, but skiing is mostly between the ears anyway so I tried it.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier

I moved up one click as well, on 177, because with the longer ski I wanted a little edge to get front pressure. I can't imagine it really makes much of a difference, but skiing is mostly between the ears anyway so I tried it.

Do you guys/gals mean moving both the Toe and Heel parts of the binding forward one or two clicks from where they would normally be set based on BSL? So basically you are very slightly altering where your boot sits on the ski relative to the recommended position?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Do you guys/gals mean moving both the Toe and Heel parts of the binding forward one or two clicks from where they would normally be set based on BSL? So basically you are very slightly altering where your boot sits on the ski relative to the recommended position?

Yes I had the tech move the toe and heel piece up. I'd read on here that moving up the bindings 2 clicks was recommended. I'd exchanged a few private messages with folks very familiar with these skis that recommend moving up the 2 clicks as well. Not that there's anything wrong with moving up one click. It was my understanding that moving up the binding position offers more control/responsiveness from the tips. I loved the results today when I skied them because I just felt the skis were even more responsive.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
Yes, because the Rally is like a SL ski and when I mounted SL skis in the past I would mount them 1 - 1.5 CM forward depending on BSL. I have heard people here say they move the mount on the Z 90's back of the recommended location and that is something I find unusual. Why would you want a longer tip and shorter tail?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just took out my 2017 Head Titans for the first time this season... O....M......G... I love these skis. I'd demoed them before but today was the first time I spent hours and hours on them. Great ski, easy to turn, confidence inspiring and great on the hard back and chicken heads. I am very stoked on these things and plan to ski them most weekends this month. They are just a lot of fun to ski and my nasty habit of wedging on a steep before a turn seems to have vanished. I loved the solid feeling of them and really felt like they had my back. Having confidence in my skis gives me confidence in return. Twas a good day today.

Uncle-A

Skier
I just took out my 2017 Head Titans for the first time this season... O....M......G... I love these skis. I'd demoed them before but today was the first time I spent hours and hours on them. Great ski, easy to turn, confidence inspiring and great on the hard back and chicken heads. I am very stoked on these things and plan to ski them most weekends this month. They are just a lot of fun to ski and my nasty habit of wedging on a steep before a turn seems to have vanished. I loved the solid feeling of them and really felt like they had my back. Having confidence in my skis gives me confidence in return. Twas a good day today.
How do you compare the Titans to your old Rally? What length did you get in the Titans?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
... Yes, because the Rally is like a SL ski and when I mounted SL skis in the past I would mount them 1 - 1.5 CM forward depending on BSL. ...

Could you elaborate on how the BSL is a factor?

For example, how far forward would you move the bindings for a 285mm BSL (24.5) and how far forward for a 325mm BSL (28.5)?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

For example, how far forward would you move the bindings for a 285mm BSL (24.5) and how far forward for a 325mm BSL (28.5)?
Because of the delta, the smaller BSL, the more that it changes...for the 2089-19, the delta got flatter and it is less of an issue.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
How do you compare the Titans to your old Rally? What length did you get in the Titans?

I'd have to ski them back to back to truly compare but I like them just as much. My titans are 163. I've had the Rally in a 163 and a 170 but haven't skied them since last season. I found myself skiing very parallel and found them quick enough edge to edge. I had a 1:3 tune on them and felt a lot of confidence almost right away.

Uncle-A

Skier
I'd have to ski them back to back to truly compare but I like them just as much. My titans are 163. I've had the Rally in a 163 and a 170 but haven't skied them since last season. I found myself skiing very parallel and found them quick enough edge to edge. I had a 1:3 tune on them and felt a lot of confidence almost right away.
The 163 Titans should be just right for you. Enjoy themogsmile

James

Out There
Instructor
I have heard people here say they move the mount on the Z 90's back of the recommended location and that is something I find unusual. Why would you want a longer tip and shorter tail?
Doubt that's necessary anymore. Originally it was too far forward. It's all relative to different skis and where the mark was placed so the question is sort of not relevant.
Go try a center mount ski and see how you like that.

Uncle-A

Skier

We were told back in the 1970's to do that based on the ball of the foot. The larger the foot the greater distance between the toe and the ball of the foot and they wanted the ball of the foot to be in about the same location on the ski no matter what the foot size. That was before the put mid boot sole marks on the skis, I do not know what they teach today for mounting.

Uncle-A

Skier
Doubt that's necessary anymore. Originally it was too far forward. It's all relative to different skis and where the mark was placed so the question is sort of not relevant.
Go try a center mount ski and see how you like that.
Did the manufacture screw up or do others know more than the manufacture does about their own skis? Or did the manufacture not do enough testing for mounting location?

Sponsor

Staff online