• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Third Time's a Charm - Banff Weekend

johnnyevil

Booting up
Skier
I went to Banff for the third time in two seasons this past weekend. Mountain Collective Pass holder. Last two trips were fantastic, but this trip was amazing .

Left New York on Friday afternoon, WestJet via JFK. Immediately have delays on our flight .it's a group of 11 of us, and we're meeting our twelfth in Calgary. As we board, we find out his connection in Toronto is 2 hours delayed. Oy vey.

Calgary is an efficient airport, but none of that matters when you need to wait for your last companion, who is also one of the three rental car drivers.

Sometime around 11:30 or so, we finally link up, get all the cars loaded, and start our drive. We were staying at the Inns of Banff, on Banff Avenue. Three double rooms and a 3-bedroom condo. The condo was well appointed, and we could have cooked in if we wanted .

Between the drive, some issues opening our door, and wanting something to eat before bed, those of us in the condo do not get to sleep till 3:30/4am. Not wonderful when you are planning to drive to Lake Louise in the AM.

Day 1 - Lake Louise

It had snowed around 50-60cm in the previous 7 days, so snow was in fine shape. Some areas with marginal conditions, clearly marked. Having been there before, I lead the advanced members of my crew over to Larch. We warm up with Old Ptarmigan (blue groomer), and I feel a little wobbly. It was my first day on my Line Supernatural 108s since April. Conditions were firm for out west, but far from the hard pack we have here in the North East.

Second run I take my crew into the glades off skier's left of Larch Liftline. Steep and soft. Not sick into the snow deep, but the fluffy remnants of a foot of snow.

Third run is through the rock garden, and one member of our party isn't confident about picking her line, so she bails out to the groomer. Rock Garden is well filled in, and fun, packed powder conditions.

When we get back to the lifts, there is a line for Larch, so we ride up Ptarmigan. We meet up with the rest of our crew, and decide on taking an easier way down towards Temple Lodge for lunch. That plan changes as I dip into the woods, along with two of my buddies.

Lunch is packed, but I need the rest. Food, even though it was just a premade salad, was what I needed. Our whole group is there, and we discuss when we are leaving.

We agree to ski another run together, off Paradise, and head out. To get there, we take Ptarmigan up, and the plan was to ski Pika down, but when I cut through the trees rather than following the switch back, everyone follows. Some of the less advanced skiers are pushing their limits. Cut through two more wooded areas, and arrive at Paradise. As we are riding it up, I see a cornice I want to try dropping, and the ladies in our crew decide they want to enter Paradise Bowl from elsewhere. We agree to meet at Paradise chair again. The three snowboarders and I head off through a gate marked Paradise Cornice. I don't find the cornice, and instead we are on a very steep face in marginal visibility. Really soft snow though. Several hop turns through a chute later, and we're back on the runout, and down before the rest of our group.

We go back to the top, and finish off the day with a couple of laps in the gully under the Top of the World 6-pack.

Overall a good day, and everyone likes Lake Louise. I promise them that Sunshine Village is better.

Day 3 - Sunshine Village

Most of the crew was going back for their second day at Sunshine. They had a good time exploring the mountain. I told them that if they wanted, I could really show them around.

It had been lightly snowing all night, and there were three inches of fresh on top of the already soft snow. Plus it was snowing all day while we were there, getting heavier as the day wore on.

We started with a blue run off of Wawa, with some shallow fresh tracks. Second run was birdcage, which had a little bit of firmness under the soft stuff.

After that, I took over with guiding, and we went over to the cornice off skier's right of Wawa. Two laps there, before heading over to Standish.

Personally, the terrain off of Standish is my favorite at SSV, and, considering the conditions of the day, had some of the best visibility, as the storm was just grazing the top. My friend Kristina did her first successful drop, about 2 and a half feet into soft snow, and I spent the day coaching her as we charged around the mountain.

Our relatively new to snowboarding friend Brandy did the steepest and most challenging runs to date for her, as I led the crew off the ridge to skiers right of the Standish summit.

After lunch, we did a bunch of laps in the steep trees and faces off Angel and Teepeetown. I was happy with my progression, able to hold consistent lines, through the tight trees, and making tight turns following small drops. Huge change from my ability when I was there last year.

It was snowing heavily enough, and the mountain is large enough that I was able to find is untracked powder on pretty much every single run of the day. Most of the crew agreed that it was the best day of the trip.

I say most because:

Day 2 - The Purcell Mountains

On the second day, Eric and Craig, two of our advanced snowboarders, and myself, woke up at 4:45. This is well before the crack of dawn, as sunrise was at 8:25am.

After a 2 hour drive from Banff, over mountain roads covered in snow in pitch blackness, we arrived at the lodge for RK Heliski, at the base of Panorama Mountain Resort.

Check-in was smooth, and they fed us breakfast. They did a quick inspection off their snowboards and my skis, and felt they were capable for the conditions.

Next was a safety briefly, and a brief training and practice on how to use beacons (always good for a refresher), as well as a safety talk on how to enter and exit the helicopter. Then it was a final bathroom break, and off we went.

Ascending to the top of a run in a helicopter was amazing. First off, the views beat anything you get from a chair lift, even though it was a low visibility day. Second, very quickly, we were in RK's tenure, and away from any semblance of civilization. Last, it was warm inside the helicopter.

My friends and I had paid for 5 runs, but there was only one group at RK that day, and they gave us an extra run. Amazingly, not everyone took the extra run.

Terrain of the day was both open bowls and glades, with some very tight trees at the bottom of some of the glades. Every run but the first required mandatory drops of up to five feet.

As for the snow. It ranged from knee deep to bottomless. On my 108s, I was still in as deep as mid-thigh and waist on some of the runs. You didn't even need to try to get face shots. Untracked every run.

Our guides, Mike and Nate, were personable and funny, and picked terrain that was definitely challenging, but within our groups ability. I'm a decent skier, but it was my first time Heliskiing, and my first time in powder that deep. The runs were challenging, but never did I encounter anything that gave me pause (I'm primarily an east coast skier, 5th season, 40+ days a season, with 2-3 destination trips).

By 2pm, when we got back to the Lodge, I could barely feel my legs. Since no other groups were out, the helicopter was waiting for us almost every time, though the one time it wasn't, and we waited, was awesome. Everyone gets into the helicopter huddle, and it came up over a ridge and landed right next to us. Made you feel like an action movie character.

All in all, it was the best day of skiing of my life. Below are some photos from the day.

IMG_20180131_163731_597.jpg IMG_20180128_095151246.jpg IMG_20180128_215154_116.jpg IMG_20180128_112613985_HDR.jpg IMG_20180130_231728_710.jpg IMG_20180128_212817_383.jpg IMG_20180128_114024903.jpg IMG_20180128_095127700_HDR.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Great trip report. Having just gotten back from there for the second consecutive annual trip it was great to be able to follow the trail and lift names. Sounds like you had a BLAST!!!!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love that area, and coming from the states, it's relatively inexpensive. I might head back end of March, since nowhere else on the mountain collective seems to be doing well snow wise this year .

I hear you, so tempting to go back. If anything we'll make this an annual trip. My profile picture was taken at the lip of my first ever back in the canadian rockies. The one off of the jackrabbit chair, the black that goes just under the chair, guess this is everyone's first black. It was sooo fun. I love the heated seat on the teepee town chair. We went down sunshine coast and wildflower runs off of Goats eye. We did the ski out and I made my first drop. I forget the run but there's a blue off the ski out and the only want to get on it is to do the little jump off the lip. I'm a big woosie but I did it and it was so fun. We were so grateful to our friends who took us all over the mountains. We did the Larch run off the larch chair at Lake Louise. It didn't seem that steep until we were having a beer break at the lodge on the deck looking up and I went whaaaaaaaaaaat I went down that. Did I mention I'm a big woosie, it didn't seem that steep. Such a gorgeous area.

Reading your trip report took me right back there. I love it there, so much, didn't....want....to....come.....back

TS
johnnyevil

johnnyevil

Booting up
Skier
I hear you, so tempting to go back. If anything we'll make this an annual trip. My profile picture was taken at the lip of my first ever back in the canadian rockies. The one off of the jackrabbit chair, the black that goes just under the chair, guess this is everyone's first black. It was sooo fun. I love the heated seat on the teepee town chair. We went down sunshine coast and wildflower runs off of Goats eye. We did the ski out and I made my first drop. I forget the run but there's a blue off the ski out and the only want to get on it is to do the little jump off the lip. I'm a big woosie but I did it and it was so fun. We were so grateful to our friends who took us all over the mountains. We did the Larch run off the larch chair at Lake Louise. It didn't seem that steep until we were having a beer break at the lodge on the deck looking up and I went whaaaaaaaaaaat I went down that. Did I mention I'm a big woosie, it didn't seem that steep. Such a gorgeous area.

Reading your trip report took me right back there. I love it there, so much, didn't....want....to....come.....back

Haha. I think many of us remember our first black diamond, as well as first drops.

Last March I hit my first pillow line at Sunshine Village. Three little drops in a row, right under the Angel Express, on a pow day. Don't know how no one else didn't get them first.

If you think the runs off Larch are steep, wait till you progress to going into the Back Bowls off the simmsu at Lake Louise.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I love that area, and coming from the states, it's relatively inexpensive. I might head back end of March, since nowhere else on the mountain collective seems to be doing well snow wise this year .

Don't forget Revelstoke is part of th MCP.

I just returned from a trip to Revy and can report excellent coverage on the top 4000' and good coverage but heavy snow for the lower 2000' .The heavy snow due to the very low asl elevation.

TS
johnnyevil

johnnyevil

Booting up
Skier
Don't forget Revelstoke is part of th MCP.

I just returned from a trip to Revy and can report excellent coverage on the top 4000' and good coverage but heavy snow for the lower 2000' .The heavy snow due to the very low asl elevation.
I've been to Revy. It's a phenomenal place., But their season ends earlier than Sunshine .

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been to Revy. It's a phenomenal place., But their season ends earlier than Sunshine .

I am really not a big fan of Revy, so I am not pushing the place but your earlier post says you are considering a late March visit to Banff and Revy closes April 15...so just saying there is another MCP resort near Banff.

TS
johnnyevil

johnnyevil

Booting up
Skier
Their snow starts getting slushy. I was there in march last year, and the base was sticky, while the summit was fantastic.

Out if curiousity, what didn't you like about Revy?

I am really not a big fan of Revy, so I am not pushing the place but your earlier post says you are considering a late March visit to Banff and Revy closes April 15...so just saying there is another MCP resort near Banff.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice trip report.

When you went to ski Paradise Cornice, did you end up back under the lift, or did you go down another face? If it's the latter, you likely skied ER 6, which is quite a bit steeper than the Cornice line.

Let me know if you want to ski a bit in March.

For steep terrain it might be worth spending a day at Kicking Horse. It's not on the MCP, but it's cheaper than a heli!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am really not a big fan of Revy, so I am not pushing the place .

We are considering an impulsive getaway to winter (SW US is dry and warm) and were thinking of Powder Highway areas including Revy although it is an extra drive. Fly in to Spokane or Calgary. Probably Spokane for expense. Why are you not a big fan of Revy? Worth the extra drive, or should we stick to resorts closer to the border? Is it worth the extra, extra drive to Kicking Horse. (we don't have the MCP, just goin on day tix)

BTW, we are all advanced to expert skiers with a kid in tow and snow quality is first priority with terrain second. (hence anticipating a last minute booking.)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are considering an impulsive getaway to winter (SW US is dry and warm) and were thinking of Powder Highway areas including Revy although it is an extra drive. Fly in to Spokane or Calgary. Probably Spokane for expense. Why are you not a big fan of Revy? Worth the extra drive, or should we stick to resorts closer to the border? Is it worth the extra, extra drive to Kicking Horse. (we don't have the MCP, just goin on day tix)

BTW, we are all advanced to expert skiers with a kid in tow and snow quality is first priority with terrain second. (hence anticipating a last minute booking.)

I am not a big fan of Revy mainly due to their flawed lift system that does not spread skiers out around the mountain and does not take into account the extremely low elevation of the mountain. Also I prefer the terrain under Whitewater's 2000' vertical Glory Ridge chair over Revy's 2000' vertical Stoke chair. I also prefer the way Glory Ridge and Summit chair connect compared to Revy's Stoke and Ripper chairs connect.

Others may disagree on the above but all would agree that terrain under Whitewater's Summit chair is superior to Revy's Ripper (rip off) chair.

Whitewater gets more snow and drier snow than Revy Not that Revy doesn't get enough snow, it is just that Whitewater gets more...the most in Western Canada. Whistler actually gets similar snow volume to Whitewater but Whistler gets more fog, wind, wet snow and rain than anywhere.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not a big fan of Revy mainly due to their flawed lift system that does not spread skiers out around the mountain and does not take into account the extremely low elevation of the mountain. Also I prefer the terrain under Whitewater's 2000' vertical Glory Ridge chair over Revy's 2000' vertical Stoke chair. I also prefer the way Glory Ridge and Summit chair connect compared to Revy's Stoke and Ripper chairs connect.

Others may disagree on the above but all would agree that terrain under Whitewater's Summit chair is superior to Revy's Ripper (rip off) chair.

I agree that the Summit beats the Ripper. Better spaced glades, and generally a steeper pitch. Fewer cliffs off the Summit though, if that matters. I think a lot of skiers use the Ripper mostly to get back to the Stoke after a lap in the North Bowl.

As for Glory vs Stoke....it's a tougher call for me. I will say that the addition of the Glory chair at Whitewater really helps sell the resort as a destination for inbounds skiers.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Worth the extra drive, or should we stick to resorts closer to the border? Is it worth the extra, extra drive to Kicking Horse. (we don't have the MCP, just goin on day tix)

I really like steeper terrain. If I could combine the Alpine chutes at Kicking Horse with the trees at Red, I think I would have the perfect resort (for me). It’s worth the drive to Golden, in my opinion.

Like @DanoT , I am not super enthusiastic about Revelstoke.

I have never had a bad day there, but I haven’t been blown away either. In my opinion, Fernie, Whitewater, and Red do tree skiing better than Revelstoke, and Kicking Hose and Lake Louise (sunshine with the dive) have better alpine terrain. Revelstoke’s vertical is impressive, but Castle has more sustained vertical that is fun to ski.

Revelstoke is not a bad resort by any means, but it doesn’t live up to the hype. The low elevation (and so much low terrain) and busy lift system are part of the problem. But it gets a ton of snow and is a great place for dropping small (or not so small) cliffs. A lot of the terrain is pretty playful.

Some good friends love the place….

TS
johnnyevil

johnnyevil

Booting up
Skier
So what I am reading is that I need to go to Whitewater .

I personally liked Revy, but the lower elevations I barely touched. I stayed up top.

I have skied kicking horse, but I was exhausted that day, and didn't get to fully appreciate that mountain .

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
I’m going to Banff in a week. How does the MC work for Big 3. I actually got the Big 3 pass in the mail (you can request from 4 MC resorts in the mail). Does that include 4 big3 tix that I can use anywhere? Or only 2 at sunshine and 2 at lake Louise? You are also supposed to get an extra day at Norquay. Does that mean you get 5 days automatically loaded on the big 3 card?

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I’m going to Banff in a week. How does the MC work for Big 3. I actually got the Big 3 pass in the mail (you can request from 4 MC resorts in the mail). Does that include 4 big3 tix that I can use anywhere? Or only 2 at sunshine and 2 at lake Louise? You are also supposed to get an extra day at Norquay. Does that mean you get 5 days automatically loaded on the big 3 card?

Do you have a pic of what they sent you? Technically, with MCP, it's supposed to be 2 days at Louise and 2 days at Sunshine. But if they sent you 4 tri-area lift tickets, those don't specify where you can ski, so you can go anywhere. Or did they actually send you 2 Louise and 2 Sunshine tix?

For Norquay - they had the free day thing at Norquay up on the MCP website for a while and then it mysteriously disappeared, from what I understand, you cannot get a free day with MCP at Norquay, but you can go to the window at Norquay and get a half price ticket. Depending on when you're going, you could hit up Norquay for Toonie Day on April 11. I like to do that - $2 gets you a lift ticket for all-day!

Sponsor

Staff online