• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Then there are the people, like a couple I recently observed in my local shop, who shop for skis based solely on the topsheets. For each pair of skis they looked at, the sales guy would attempt to describe the characteristics of the ski, what kind of skiing they were good for, etc. but the only comments made by the couple were how pretty the graphics were, or what particular piece of ski wear it would go with, etc. I died a little inside.

I'd like this twice if I could.

James

Out There
Instructor
Then there are the people, like a couple I recently observed in my local shop, who shop for skis based solely on the topsheets. For each pair of skis they looked at, the sales guy would attempt to describe the characteristics of the ski, what kind of skiing they were good for, etc. but the only comments made by the couple were how pretty the graphics were, or what particular piece of ski wear it would go with, etc. I died a little inside.
Well if the skis are in the ball park that's not so bad. Length would be the variable to tune. They'll be a performance increase from good looks and a decrease from disliked.

Gil

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Industry Insider
I know the retailer you're referring to. The bandwidth they've built is amazing considering the "style" and information presented. The biggest difference between my channel, SkiGearTV and their's, is the sales component. They are one of the biggest retailers in North America. I don't sell gear.

We got away from the small group discussion format, but I'm in agreement that it needs to happen again. Here's an example from a few years ago, let me know if this is what you'd like to see >
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Slow motion action with detailed descriptions of a skis strengths in various conditions IMHO is valuable information. A visual + verbal description of what a ski can do with various inputs is better than an explanation on the shop floor. "Oh yes, I see what you mean."

Sponsor