• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) The Season of Pow - China, Xinjiang Province

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for following along, it is greatly appreciated. We're about halfway through now. I'll give any new readers the heads up that the rest of the blog doesn't feature too much skiing unfortunately. If that's what you are after, then you've already seen the best of that. There's plenty of cultural happenings coming up, so plenty still to come. Let's move on to our next zone, Hemu. Again we were here to look at potential skiing in the area but it was a bit of a bust unfortunately. We tried to get out and ski, but the mountains were not happy so we had to listen to them. The snowpack was super rotten and weak and there was no fun, low angle terrain accessible. We looked, but couldn't find any. We spent a lot of time exploring the local area and getting a feel for life in sleepy Hemu. That was an experience in itself.......

Monday 27th March

It had been a busy day the previous day and our nerves were a little on edge, given what we had experienced on the drive in. Before I get into the report on the first day in Hemu, let me give you the lay of the land and tell you about Hemu itself. Hemu is a small village in the Kanas district. Originally I thought we were going to be in Kanas itself (also an actual town as well), but we were actually staying in a resort called the Hemu Hotel. It is a large complex with over 400 beds. It is very popular in the summer time but they want to become a year round resort and this is the first year of winter operation. Traditionally they would close in the winter. So they have stayed open and are running with a relatively small amount of staff.

Originally, they had thought they could start up a cat skiing operation. They bought a passenger cat (Chinese manufacturer) but then realized that they don’t have suitable nearby terrain for decent cat skiing. They do have a massive mountain right in front of them, but it is super steep and there is no way they could get a cat up it, not that you would, as it is very dangerous and avalanche prone at the moment (we’ve seen a few slides come down). So now they have a small slope behind the resort that they have groomed and they had been using the bottom at least, for beginner skiers. They also have a large fleet of snowmobiles and we have been ripping around on those, but the snowpack is so weak and rotten that we can’t really get anywhere on those either (not that we are really keen to ski at the moment, we are here too late for that I think). They have been doing some horseback accessible skiing, but the tracks are now too soft for that as well, so skiing has really taken a back seat. We spent more time training the locals in avalanche safety and doing siteseeing, than any actual skiing. All good though, I’d rather stay safe myself and get home in one peace.

So that should give you a rough feel for the place, so let’s continue on with the story. We had a lovely breakfast (here the steamed meat buns are fresh and delicious, I feel like Kung Fu Panda as I want to eat all of them!) and then jumped in one of the vehicles for a drive down into the village of Hemu. Hemu is a farming community where the locals all ride on horses and the cows roam free. Consequently the ground is shall we say, very fertile? (ie. covered in dung), so it always small like a farmyard and you definitely don’t want to be wearing your smart shoes. It was a Monday so we were invited down to watch the local flag ceremony in front of the main village government office. They do this to start the week, a lot of the villagers come down and then line up in front of a large flag pole and then they hoist the Chinese flag and play some patriotic music.

Then we jumped back in the 4wd and drove to a small house in the village. This was the Lama’s house, the main spiritual man and wisest man in the village. His wife had prepared a local feast for us which was great as it had been at least an hour since we had last eaten (come to China and be prepared to eat an absolute ton of food….). There was fresh bread, butter, a really nice jam, some dried fruits and raisins (very good for the constitution, as it turned out!), lamb butter (wasn’t game for that one), dried cheese (in a pellet, extremely hard and not so good, I regretted nibbling on that one) and some yoghurt and milk tea. The highlight was the welcoming ceremony that the lady gave us. She sang to us and presented us with a token (a white silk scarf each) and then gave us the local drink. This was fermented cow’s milk, thankfully not as potent as the white spirit, but still made you (as the locals say), “feel very relaxed in the legs”. Then we met the Lama himself and he sat with us and welcomed us to the village. He then disappeared (using Lama magic I think) and then we were taken to the local temple.

The Lama was in the temple and we looked around and he performed a blessing on all of us which involved getting hit over the head three times with a magic plank of wood (thankfully covered in soft cloth). Concussion is the path to enlightenment and combined with my wobbly legs from the fermented cow’s milk rocket fuel, I was well on my way to the heavens! Fun times! The Lama posed for some photographs with us at the steps of the temple and we were on our way. Then we went back to the hotel for some much needed 3rd lunch (hobbits would be very happy here).

We changed into our ski gear after lunch and headed back outside. Then a fleet of snowmobiles came around the corner, about 7 sleds and their drivers, in all. It was quite the scene. They were brand new Ski Doo sleds and all the drivers were kitted out in proper sno-mo gear. They looked the part, but could they actually ride? That question was answered in the first 5 minute when we nearly rolled going around the first major bend….. my driver didn’t lean (and consequently neither did I), so over we almost went. I’m not a fan of snowmobiles in general (not a fan of the noise, the smell of them and just how dangerous they can be, I’m ok if I’m driving, but I just can’t relax when someone else is driving). He was also super aggressive and went way too fast for the trails were on (very rough and often off camber, not groomed trails but tracks put in by the snowmobiles themselves).

I quickly changed onto another sled but it was not much better. These guys haven’t had any training (I guess Ski Doo were supposed to come out and train these guys when they bought all the sleds and they never did) so they are all self-taught. They are doing well with what they have then, but definitely need to be shown how to handle a sled properly and drive more conservatively when they have guests riding with them, but also they need a proper network of groomed trails. The other challenge is that the locals use the snowmobile tracks as paths for their horses, so I think they would always get pretty beat up (also covered in poop as well). They do have a decent groomer, so maybe in high winter season; they could get out and regularly groom the trails? Anyway, our trials and tribulations with local snow mobile drivers would continue, as it had done in Aletai…….

They wanted to take us to a small hill at the base of the big mountain, to do some skiing. The snow felt rotten to me and I was not sure I wanted to go anywhere near the bottom of the big mountain, so I suggested we stop for a minute. I got my probe out and pushed it into the snow. There was a little bit of resistance in the first 30cm’s of the snowpack and then the pole just dropped about 60cm’s to the ground. It was rotten, faceted snow. That was not good. We probed all around us and it was the same everywhere. I really didn’t want to be going anywhere near a mountain that had a snowpack like that. We turned around and went to another area. Again, I got my probe out and found the same snow. Then I dug a quick pit, down to the ground. At the base of the snowpack was large depth hoar, about 4mm in size, quite large grains. That put me off wanting to go skiing. I was keen to learn more about the snowpack though and do some stability tests on different aspects. So we called it and headed back to the hotel.

After a break, we went over to the bottom of the bunny hill for a look around there. Maolin’s good friend Mallequin, a local snowboarder, hunter and guide, was at the ski park. He was snowboarding and we stopped to meet him. He had some homemade skis and we were keen to try them. They are cut from local wood, heated and bent up at the front and then they have horsehair nailed to the bottom. The horsehair gives good grip on the uphill and is very smooth on the downhill. They have leather straps for bindings. They use a large wooden pole as a brake and a rudder, but typically they do not turn. They say it is inefficient and slows you down too much. The local people have been using these skis for hundreds, maybe thousands of years, traditionally for hunting. They would find an animal track (say a deer), then follow it. The hunters are able to move faster than the animal who will be struggling to move through the deep snow. They then chase the animal to exhaustion and they are able to take it down. The government has protected all the wildlife in the area and has banned hunting (and the cutting down of trees without special permission), so the manufacturing of the traditional skis is dying out. I hope that if we bring Western tourists to the area, we can help to keep the local ski industry going.

We all had a quick go on the groomed run. The leather bindings were a little too small for my massive hooves, they did stay on my feet but the skis were quite wobbly. On the uphill, that is where the skis really excelled. They glided really nicely, were very light (nice to tour in my hiking boots) and the horse hair gave great grip. I have never felt so light on my feet going uphill. Going downhill was really sketchy; you had to be really focused. Because I couldn’t get the leather straps very tight, my skis wanted to wander off, so going downhill definitely was a challenge. I liked the uphill better (never thought I’d ever say that). Overall, it was super fun and I was stoked to finally try these handmade skis that were one of the top items on my China bucket list. Tick! Grant and Maolin both tried them and then the skis were gifted to Maolin by Mallequin (Maolin had given Mallequin some of his old Armada skis in exchange for the handmade skis). That was a nice way to end the day. We had another nice dinner that night and we ate with some of the local leaders of the area.

DSC05272.JPG

DSC05273.JPG

DSC05274.JPG

DSC05275.JPG

DSC05277.JPG

DSC05278.JPG

DSC05279.JPG

DSC05280.JPG

DSC05281.JPG

DSC05284.JPG

DSC05285.JPG

DSC05287.JPG

DSC05288.JPG

DSC05290.JPG

DSC05292.JPG

DSC05293.JPG

DSC05294.JPG

DSC05295.JPG

DSC05296.JPG

DSC05297.JPG

DSC05298.JPG

DSC05299.JPG

DSC05300.JPG

DSC05301.JPG

DSC05305.JPG

DSC05306.JPG

DSC05308.JPG

DSC05309.JPG

DSC05310.JPG

DSC05313.JPG

DSC05315.JPG

DSC05317.JPG

DSC05319.JPG

DSC05322.JPG

DSC05327.JPG

DSC05329.JPG

- Matt

Last edited:
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Time to move on with the report! The admins informed me that all the photos that I had ported over from the old blog were still linked back to Epicski, so when Epic shuts down, then the photos on this blog will also disappear. So I had to go back in, delete all the photos and re-post them here. The text is all ok, just the photos had to be changed. Unfortunately I also had to remove all the text labeling each photo so I could post all the photos at once. It would take too long to go back in and re-label everything unfortunately, but I will add that for all the subsequent posts. Hopefully the admins will return this blog back to the Trip Report section soon......

Anyway, that's all been going on in the background, so now let's move forward with the blog. Here are some video's then to give you a better feel for the cultural events in Hemu.

Our first morning started with a visit to the village square and the raising of the flag ceremony. The pulley was a little rusty apparently, that is the noise you hear in the background. Then we went to a local villager's house and enjoyed a lovely second breakfast and had a couple of cheeky fermented milk shots (my favorite!) and a blessing ceremony and a beautiful song. Good times!

Then we went to the village temple and we received a blessing from the village Lama where he hit me over the head with a plank of wood several times. Concussion is the pathway to spiritual enlightenment apparently!

We went snowmobiling next, but I didn't show any of that as it wasn't very interesting. I'll show more snowmobiling shots later, for the scenery...... we finished the day with a quick visit to the bunny hill that they have right next to the hotel. Mallequin, a local guide and friend of Maolin, was there skiing and had some local skis for us to try. I was mad keen to try them and they let me have a go. The skis are handmade from wood, with no metal edges. They have leather straps for bindings (free-heel) and the key to them is the horsehair that is fixed to the bottom, for permanent skins for going uphill. Traditionally skiing was used in these parts for hunting, not recreation. The hunters would find animal tracks in the snow and then chase down the animal until it was easy prey. The hunters could move much faster than the quarry (deer) that was bogged down in the snow. Hunting has since been banned, so skiing and ski making, is consequently dying out. Sad as skiing in these parts could potentially have been going on for thousands of years.

Anyway, I digress slightly...... The horsehair gives great grip on the uphill, but it has amazing glide, glide like I have never felt before on regular touring set-ups. Having my regular hiking boots on, the uphill was extremely easy going, the horsehair gliding effortlessly. Going downhill was a different story, with no support and no metal edges, it was a case of using the long wooden pole for balance and braking and hanging on for dear life. It was quite the rush! We were only on the bunny hill, so I can only imagine what it is like to take these puppies off the groomers and into the deep powder and go full-tilt..... quite the ride I should think! Anyway, it was really fun to try them out and a major tick for my Chinese bucket-list.

Plenty more to come!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Tuesday 28th March

The marketing lady wanted us to go on another snowmobile tour and try and find somewhere to ski. We wanted to dig more pits though and find out more about the snowpack before we agreed to any skiing. We weren’t stoked to be going back on the snowmobiles, but we gave it another shot. It was the same story as the day before, just very unsafe driving. We started heading up to a hill using a well-worn (and pooped on) horse track. It was hard going, with the off-camber trail causing us to nearly go over a few times. Then the trail turned to rock and mud. One of the sled drivers tried to go up on a ridgeline next to the path, but he quickly got buried. It looked like we weren’t going too much further, so this would be a good time to dig a pit and do some tests. Maolin and Mallequin had never dug any pits before, so it was a good time for them to learn.

I wanted to hike out a little ways from the sled, onto an open slope, but before it got too steep. We broke through to our waists in the rotten snow. There was a firmer layer on top, about 30cm’s which you had to break through, then it was rotten to the base and you sunk right in. Mallequin thought this was great fun and he dived into the snow, disappeared and came out through the snow, several feet away. That’s one way of testing the snow…… After some effort wading and breaking through the snow, we started digging the pit. It was very easy going and in about 10 minutes, we had a 2m wide pit, about 85cm’s deep, cleared down to the ground. We excavated some extra snow to make a bigger viewing platform, for (hopefully) the snowmobile drivers to come and take a look as well. We spent time looking for different layers, finding several, but the main profile indicated slightly cohesive and firmer snow on top (about 4 finger hardness), then really soft fist hardness snow (facets) in the mid-layer, then slightly firmer snow (still fist hardness, but slightly more resistance than the middle) with well-developed depth hoar at the base (4mm). Lovely stuff…..

The snowmobile drivers were still hanging back so we asked them again if they would like to come and see what we were doing. Only the boss of the snowmobile drivers was keen to come and check things out. I set up with the first 30cm’s to do a shovel shear test. I separated the sides and left the back intact. I put my shovel blade down the back and without any force, the top 30cm’s popped right away. Not good. The rest of the column broke at the base (about 55cm’s of faceted snow with large depth hoar at the base), with only a little more effort. Then I set up to do 2 Column Tests. I did the first one and it broke on that same 30cm mark, but only on one tap. Wow! Scary stuff! Maolin did the second one and his released on two (not quite a firm enough first tap or his would have gone on one as well).

Then we did an Extended Column Test (ECT) and we got a clear shear with an aggressive failure of the slab at 30cm’s, on one tap. That was really bad. That was an eye opener for everyone. I’m glad we hadn’t gone any further on the sleds and that they hadn’t been able to make it up the ridge. We finished the session with a Ruschblock test. We had 2 people scramble around the sides and place our probes into the snow 150cm’s up slope and then I got my cord out and we separated a 150cm by 200cm block. Then I had Maolin climb up with his skis on to test the block. Just before he climbed down onto the block, he punched through the top 30cm’s. That made it a little harder to climb onto the block. He made it onto the block and then stepped down the 35cm’s. Then he extended and pushed down onto the block. It failed at the weak interface (30cm’s down) and sheared off cleanly and fast. Maolin lost balance and fell uphill.

That was the first time he had been in a “slide” and it scared him, how quickly and abruptly everything moved and how little control he had. That was a RB3, I think if I had been the one testing the block, it would have been a RB2. It was a real eye opener for everyone who witnessed it. The thought of any kind of skiing was gone. Now this was only testing in one area and on one aspect (south), so we wanted to gain more knowledge and check out a more northern aspect. The drivers finished their cigarettes and turned the sleds around. I was a little disappointed that all of the drivers (apart from their boss) had taken part in digging the pit and testing the snow. I was determined that they would take part in the next pit.

We drove back down into the valley and then across to the other side. There was a wide open plan and then the start of a treed, northern-facing slope that was protected from above. Just below the start of the trees, there was an open slope that looked like a good safe spot. We drove the sleds close and then parked. I jumped off and straight away, was up to my waist as the snow was also rotten here as well. I made a track towards the bottom of the slope and got about 2/3 of the way. Then I doubled back and improved the track. I wanted to make a good track so the drivers had no excuse not to come up. Then Maolin suggested we have some lunch and the drivers got out the tasty packed lunches they had for us. As we were sitting down eating, we heard a rumbling. We looked up and saw a large avalanche come down from the mid-level of the mountain, through some trees and over a cliff band. The snow was dirty as it thundered over the rocks. It was a wet slide and had obviously run to the ground. This was further confirmation of instability.

After lunch, we then mustered the troops and made our way up the track and to the bottom of the small slope. We got the drivers to help dig our way up the slope and they got to practice some strategic shoveling principles. Again the top 30cm’s was more cohesive and required proper shoveling techniques (chopping blocks and then moving the snow to the side). We made it to our spot and then put in the same 2m wide put down to the ground. The snow was a little deeper here, nearly 1m deep. It didn’t take long to dig all the way to the ground. I got out my crystal card and I showed the drivers how to feel for different layers by lightly passing the corner of the card down through the sidewalls of the pit (our observation walls) and marking them. They all had a go of that and then I showed them how to test the hardness using the hand hardness test. It was pretty much the same results as the southern aspect. Then we went through the same series of stability tests: Shovel Shear; Compression Tests and Extended Column Tests. Maolin did a great job of translating and showing the guys what to do. We did multiples of each and we saw similar results; consistent failure of the top 30cm’s on either 1 or 2 taps, with clean and aggressive shears. The only inconsistency was whether the failure went all the way to the ground or if it just took out the top 30cm’s. I have no doubt in my mind that if something failed at the top, it would easily step down or entrain the rest of the snowpack down to the ground. The point releases we had a seen on some isolated slopes down lower all went down to the ground. We set up for another Ruschblock test, this time Mallequin was the tester.

He climbed up and stepped onto the block. He got onto the block and immediately punched through the top layer. He stepped down a little further and then I had him rise up and push down. The block failed but this time it went all the way to the ground. This was another RB3 and it was looking like similar snow and instability existed on the northern aspects too. Ideally we would have tested this on higher elevations and looked for greater special variability in our tests, but we’d seen enough for now. Looking up at the mountains, all the natural releases were happening around treeline, the top wasn’t moving yet, but I felt sure with a stronger trigger (ie. us!), snow would start moving up there too. There were cornices at the top, so there was probably a more complex snowpack up higher with wind slab more than likely present in the start zones. Either way, no one was keen to go up any higher than where we were (the valley floor) so it was decided that we would abandon the thought of skiing and go site-seeing instead. That was much safer potentially, although driving anywhere during the middle of the day would also be very dangerous. That was it for a very interesting and eye opening day. Everyone was really happy for the lesson. I was really happy the snowmobile drivers finally got in on the act and they learned quickly. I hope these are skills they will keep up with!

DSC05330.JPG
Mt. Yemugaite looking good. Shame we didn't get to ski it......

DSC05331.JPG
A 360 degree view of Hemu.

DSC05332.JPG

DSC05333.JPG

DSC05334.JPG

DSC05335.JPG
No fishing allowed unfortunately...... bummer!

DSC05336.JPG

DSC05338.JPG
The snowpack was so rotten and weak that Mallequin could dive through and tunnel underneath it. Glad the roof didn't collapse on him!

DSC05339.JPG
We weren't keen to go skiing after we realized how weak the snowpack was, so we decided to focus on some snow science and training for Mallequin (who is a local skier and guide) and Maolin, who had never been shown how to analyze and test the snowpack.

DSC05340.JPG
Testing the hardness of the snowpack using hand hardness tests. It was mostly fist or 4 finger softness (mostly fist), meaning soft and poorly bonded grains through the entire snowpack. The top 30 cm's was more consolidated, but that was sitting on top of 50cm's plus of facets and the bonding between those two layers was very poor. it was very easy to trigger a slide in that top layer and that would no doubt step down and entrain the rest of the snowpack. Not exactly inspiring conditions for skiing, hence why we didn't ski the rest of the trip. Oh yeah, then it rained. You though it was bad now, it got real bad after that........ happy we made it out in one piece!

DSC05341.JPG
The preferred local means of transportation in Hemu village.

DSC05343.JPG
Heading to the other side of the valley to look at some north-facing aspects. The same snowpack existed on this different aspect. Yikes!

DSC05345.JPG
Practicing strategic shoveling with the local snowmobile guides.

DSC05346.JPG
Maolin translating and helping the local snowmobile guides. They were fast learners, I hope they can further their education and keep up with their training. Not sure how that's going to happen.....

DSC05349.JPG
Nippy was happy to see us again. My favorite local dog!

Video's to come!

- Matt

Attachments

• DSC05347.JPG
    DSC05347.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC05348.JPG
    DSC05348.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 1
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Here is some video then showing the potential avalanche problem we were facing in Hemu....... This is why we didn't go skiing in Hemu.

We really wanted to ski something (that massive big Mt. Yemugaite was staring at us the whole time, but she looked angry to me), but the quick handpit we'd dug the day before had shown us some pretty rotten looking snow. The writing was on the wall; we'd seen the avalanches on the way into Hemu as well and plenty of naturals all over the mountains around the hotel (not close by thankfully), so the warning signs (red flags) were all around us. I still wanted to go and dig some pits and do some tests to learn more though and hopefully show some of the locals how to do some initial stability tests and make some observations.

We dug around on a south facing aspect and the results of our stability tests (didn't show all of the tests we did) were pretty scary. I'd never seen such a weak snowpack. I was hoping that by this time of the season, the snowpack might be starting to gain strength (faceted grains turning to rounds ideally) but that wasn't the case. We moved to a northern aspect (slightly lower elevation) and repeated the same tests with the same results. At the same time, we witnessed a large wet slide come rumbling down the mountain on a southern aspect. That was enough for us. The thought of any backcountry skiing quickly left out minds. I wasn't in the mood to risk myself or anyone else. I thought I'd seen the worst, then 2 days later, it rained........ then the mountains really started to slide...... more to come!

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Wednesday 29th March

Skiing was now out for us, so we wanted to see as many of the local sites as possible. We did another drive around Hemu, I think we’ve covered the whole town by now. It’s interesting to see that they were putting up a bunch of new razor wire around the official buildings, not the best look for a village trying to become a year round tourist destination. Maolin told me it was to keep out wild animals (bears and wolves most likely), but this seemed a bit like overkill. I think it’s more in line with the general beefing up of security in Xinjiang province. I think we would have been better getting out and walking around the village, then we would have had more interactions with the local people. It felt a bit weird pointing our cameras out of the vehicle at people and I’m sure they didn’t appreciate being made into the tourist attraction. So, I didn’t really feel like we were really experiencing a lot of the culture this way. Anyway, we’d already been around the village before, so I was happy to move on to new things.

Next we were driven back to the edge of town where there was a new bridge built over the river. We had already been there with the snowmobiles, but this time we were meeting some horsemen and we were going to go for a sleigh ride through the forest to meet the oldest man in the village who used to make skis. We had heard other stories about this man, allegedly he had fought off a bear with his own hands and had also designed and built the old bridge (since replaced by the new bridge for reasons unknown) without any plans or prior engineering experience. The design came to him in his sleep apparently. When we got to the bridge, there were two guys with two horses and two sleds attached. They had a nice looking dog with them too (he almost looked like a German Shepard, but had some slight muttliness about him). Grant and Mrs. Lee jumped in the first sled and I rode with Maolin in the second. These sleds are a little different. You sit facing backwards. The challenge there is that you cannot see what is coming (part of the fun I guess?) and it is already a very rough ride, so you definitely get thrown around a lot. Our driver (or who we thought was our driver), attached some rope to the side of our sled and then the first sled took off, closely followed by ours. I thought our driver was going to stay on with us, but he jumped off. For about 5 minutes, Maolin and I thought that our sled was driverless and we were just following the other sled, but when we rounded a sharp corner, I was able to see that we were roped to the sled in front. Phew! That was a relief. Then we had about a 20 minute ride through the forest, getting absolutely pounded in the back of the hard sled with no suspension. We took a couple of big hits when the horse had to speed up to get us through a deep depression. Not so fun….. Finally we made it to the farm where the old man and his family lived.

He definitely looked old but he was only 87. 87 is pretty old for these parts apparently. The average life expectancy is in the fifties here, due to the old drinking supply. Apparently the old water supply had been overly high in certain minerals (apologies that this is all a little vague as I am going off a pretty rough translation) and that was causing health problems that was leading to medical complications and eventually an early death. They have put in a new filtered water system and the harmful minerals have been removed, so they are expecting the life expectancy to rise in the region. That’s good news. The old man spoke Kazak so Maolin couldn’t talk with him except through the man’s (I’m assuming) daughter. He had a couple of old pairs of skis left, but he hadn’t made any skis for more than a decade and was long retired from skiing himself. Maolin showed him a video on his smart phone of some modern skiing and the man seemed to really enjoy that. Then we were shown into the house and given the traditional local lunch of milk tea, homemade bread, butter, jam and dried fruits. The dried cheese was also on the menu but I stayed away from that this time. The old man came in and Mrs. Lee was able to strike up a bit of a conversation with him. He said he was a bit leery of the tourists; they just come to his home, take pictures and then leave. He says it makes him feel like a bit of an object. He was happy to talk to us more as we had made an effort to talk to him and interact with his family. I can totally understand his viewpoint. I think it confirmed my feelings that we should not be driving around the village, but we should walk through it and be closer with the people. It’s similar to driving a lot on the snowmobiles, we drive past people, I try and at least wave and say hello, but there is no chance for us to interact with them, we seem to just be driving past and potentially scaring their horses and making them feel nervous. I would definitely do things differently if I came back here and spend more time meeting the local villagers. We spend a lot of meaningful time with the staff at the hotel, but I think we need to do that more with the villagers next time. Note to self…….

We had a nice lunch and a good chat and then it was time to leave. We got back into the sleds and took the rough ride back to the bridge. As soon as we were dropped off, the sleds were out of there. Off they went with a quick wave. We headed back to the hotel. I had been asked to give an avalanche safety presentation to the staff, so after dinner, we assembled in the main dining room and I set up my laptop to give a PowerPoint presentation about avalanches. It would just be some of the slides I use when I give my regular presentation to our guests during their initial avalanche safety training, with Maolin acting as the interpreter. There was a pretty big crowd, more than 40 people turned up. I’ve never given a safety presentation to that many people in one go before, but with Maolin doing a fine job helping me, I soon got into a rhythm and the nervousness went away. We only had Grant and mine avi gear, but we did have 2 people come up and we put our airbags on them and they set them off. The crowd liked that one. Then we went outside and I showed them how a beacon worked. We had Grant’s beacon hidden under 1 of 3 boxes at the end of the carpark and then I had to go find it. I did a slow walk through and then a go at speed, then we had 3 people volunteer to try it themselves. Grant had brought out a bunch of prizes with him and the 3 people each got a gift. Nice one Grant, they were stoked. The initial training went well, the feedback was positive and everyone was happy as they had never had any kind of avi safety training before. My hope is that all on snow staff and guests will have access to beacon, shovel and probes in time for next winter. That was the end of another busy day. Now to get rid of all that horsehair on my jacket and pants…….

DSC05350.JPG
Grant in front of the Hemu Hotel.

DSC05352.JPG
What a location for a camp site and a stage for concerts......

DSC05353.JPG
Grant and Mrs. Lee (quite the surprising dresser!).

DSC05355.JPG
No driver and a direct line of fire to the "danger zone" of a flatulent horse. Nervous times......

DSC05356.JPG
Faithful horse dog keeping us safe from the wolves!

DSC05357.JPG
We made it to the parking lot. Time to check out some handmade skis.

DSC05358.JPG
The real deal!

DSC05360.JPG
These are about my size!

DSC05361.JPG
The oldest man in the village and former ski maker.

DSC05362.JPG
Photo of a photo.....

DSC05363.JPG
The ski makers house.

DSC05365.JPG
"Hey Grant, that's cow's intestine drying in front of you over the fire." Grant, "oh."

DSC05366.JPG
Checking out the rest of the two room house.

DSC05369.JPG
The bedroom.

DSC05370.JPG
More food! Second lunch......

DSC05377.JPG
Mt. Yemugaite, oh how I would have liked to have skied you!

DSC05378.JPG
Avi safety presentation for the local workers at the Hemu Hotel. Time to liven the crowd up with a little airbag pop!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Here's the video that accompanies the post above......

It was an "exciting" 20 minute horse sled ride across the river, to the outskirts of the Hemu village. We were going to meet the oldest man in the village (87 years old) and check out some of his hand-made skis. It was a rough ride! At first, we didn't realize that we were tethered to the sled in front, so we thought we were driving blind. The seating was pretty uncomfortable, sitting on a wooden sled with no padding or suspension, facing backwards. So we felt every bump and couldn't see the big bumps coming. A few times we went around some very steep off-camber corners and I thought we were going to tip over, hence the noises from me. Maolin wasn't very happy with me as we had the option to go on the snowmobiles and Grant and I had turned that down (we weren't really enjoying the sketchy snowmobile rides....) but turned that down, to try something different. Oh well......

We went to the old man's house (he had built the main bridge in town without any plans, the design had come to him in his dreams apparently AND he also fought off a bear with his own hands! All legend of the old man.....) and we got to see his ski collection. He was a keen skier but was now too old to ski and make skis, but he enjoyed watching Maolin's video's on his phone of modern skiing. We looked around and then were shown inside his house where we had a nice lunch. Mrs. Lee knew the man very well and they chatted a lot. It was a nice day, something different and very memorable!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Thursday 30th March

This was a pretty low key day. Mrs. Lee was keen for us to go on another snowmobile tour to a small peak, but we weren’t into that due to the avi danger, plus we weren’t too keen to go on the sleds anymore anyway. Unfortunately there had been a large avalanche and that had taken out the power so we stayed at the hotel and I caught up with some writing. Around 3pm, we had organized with the snowmobile drivers to do some more beacon training, this time on snow. We headed over to the bottom of the bunny hill, but there was no one to be seen. Mrs. Lee was doing some skiing, but that was it. We waited a while and then Mrs. Lee was told that all the snowmobile drivers were off helping clear another avalanche. One of the managers came to ask me if I would go with them to make sure the site was safe for the people to go up and fix the power line that had been taken out by another slide. It was still really warm and it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was still really dangerous out there. It wouldn’t likely start to firm up until the sun started going down. I don’t think you needed to be any kind of expert to realize that and not to be a coward, but there was no way I was going to put myself at harm’s way going out on some crazy mission to goodness knows where to check on the stability in an avalanche prone area. I wasn’t into that at all so I had to tell them that I thought it was still too dangerous and they had to make their own call on if it was safe or not. I suggested it wouldn’t be safer till later.

It was 3:30pm and the snowmobile drivers still weren’t there. Then some ski instructors turned up so I suggested I start beacon training with them. They had done the theory session the night before and they were keen to learn more. This was also good training for Maolin too as he hadn’t done any on-snow beacon work with me either. We had marked out a large training area, with a crown, flanks, 15m in from the side of the flanks and a green flag that marked the last seen point. Grant had leant me his beacon and that was buried in the snow in my skins bag(the snow in the main run was rock hard but I had to bury the beacon there because as soon as you got off the groomers, you were up to your waist in the rotten snow). I did a walk through with the instructors first, then I gave them a demo at high speed next. Then it was their turn.

We only had three instructors, so we could take our time and make sure they really got it. I made sure they did a walk through first so that they hit all of the steps and I could give them feedback. The first guy had the toughest job going first and then the two others could also learn from what the first guy did. It was crucial then that we (Maolin and I) gave them detailed and accurate feedback. Then they could do a timed run each. The first guy did well, he needed to communicate better at the start, calling out when he got a signal and then calling out his distance readings. That is obviously less important when you are conducting a search by yourself, but in the long run, I’m preparing these guys to do searches as a group and then if they do well, at some stage, then they might also be the ones giving the training to others, so the correct mechanics need to be taught from the start. I always tell people during the training that I should be able to turn my back to the scene and still know exactly what is going on. That’s a good way of thinking about the communication side of things.

He also had a slight turning of the beacon in the pinpoint phase, but the probing and shoveling was spot on. In the timed run, he was able to add the feedback to his searching and uncovered the victim in 2:54. That was an amazing time for someone doing a search for the first time in a large area. Excellent job guys! Then it was the turn of the second person. They didn’t communicate about turning all beacons to search mode at the top, but then was very fast to find the signal and get down to the pinpoint phase. During the timed run, they managed to uncover the victim in 2:07, a really, really fast time. He was pretty stoked with his time. Then the third person, he did really well too. He powered through his timed run and got the victim out in 2:01! Amazing! Grant had more prizes for them and they were really happy. Then Maolin and Grant had a go, they were not as fast as the boys but both had their victims out in 5 minutes or so. Then we finished off with one more run, this time with the skis on and this time with the probe not assembled already, with the three boys working together. The guy with the beacon did a good job, just moving a little too fast in the last 10m and overshooting the landing. He then had to turn around and then he was able to pinpoint. We also had a little bit of a problem assembling the probe, I had to show them how to lock that down properly and they found the victim in about 2:35. Not bad at all. I had them all practice assembling and folding up the probe until they could do that fluidly, then we were done. It was a really awesome training session and I have never seen people get it so quickly. They obviously need to do a lot more than 2 runs each (and work on multiples, in nasty snow conditions) to say they really own it, but it was a really encouraging start and really fun to work with these guys. You could tell they were hungry for more. I wish we had more beacons, shovels and probes because then we could really develop their rescue skills. I hope they get the necessary safety gear in time for next winter and they can continue training with it.

DSC05379.JPG
Maolin looking resplendent in his Altai ski outfit! This was gifted to him by Mallequin in exchange for teaching him how to ski.

DSC05381.JPG
Mt. Yemugaite.

DSC05382.JPG
Pretty amazing view surrounding the Hemu Hotel complex.

DSC05384.JPG
Teaching beacon skills to a couple of local ski instructors. They picked it up really quickly, I was really impressed how good they were for their first times ever using the beacons.

DSC05385.JPG

DSC05386.JPG

DSC05387.JPG

DSC05388.JPG

DSC05389.JPG
Grant with our new friends.

DSC05391.JPG
Grant, myself and Maolin, plus the local ski instructors.

DSC05392.JPG
Grany heading back to the hotel.

DSC05393.JPG
Nippy's favorite past-time was chasing these poor cats......

DSC05394.JPG
This one got a bit stuck. Local person to the rescue!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Friday 31st March, Saturday 1st April, Sunday 2nd April.

Trapped in Hemu – avalanches close road

Unfortunately on the Friday, the weather changed and it started to rain lightly in the morning. The mountains were socked in. I could only imagine what adding more water and weight to the already extremely weak snowpack would do. Sure enough by that afternoon when the sun re-emerged, we heard reports of more large avalanches coming down and closing the road. There were at least 5 slides blocking the road. Then a massive slide came down, 100m wide and more than 10ft deep. We were trapped. There is only one road in and out of Hemu and it was shut down. The power keeps coming in and out, same with the internet service. We are supposed to be flying out of Aletai tomorrow morning, but who knows if we will make our flights or not. If there was a helicopter around, we could fly back to Aletai but that is not happening unfortunately.

Finally we were given some good news. They were close to having the road clear and we were going to be able to leave in the afternoon. The time was set for 3:45pm departure. Whilst I was happy about the thought of leaving, I was concerned about us leaving at prime avalanche time. Most of the avalanches we were witnessing were coming down in the heat of the afternoon, from 2pm to 5pm. It was cloudier this day at least, when the sun was hidden, it was a lot cooler, but as soon as the sun came out, it warmed up really fast. We’d have to hope that the sun stayed away. Unfortunately, there was a convey heading down and we were in it. We didn’t have much of a choice. The vehicles were loaded up and we headed out with about 40 people in 8 different vehicles (several 4wd’s, 3 buses full of staff and a tanker truck).

We started away from the resort and got stuck behind the tanker. Going up the first hill, I noticed a piece of metal pipe fall from the bottom of the tanker. It lay steaming in the road ahead of us. The tanker did not stop and neither did we. I mentioned this to the driver but he did not seem too concerned and we kept going. After about 30 minutes, we rounded a bend and saw a police truck pulled over at the side of the road. We kept going and then we saw several vehicles stopped further ahead. Then we saw that a large avalanche had blocked the road. The debris was piled up around 4ft high. It was a point release that started 200m up and then fanned out about 30m wide. It had slid all the way to the ground. It was only a shallow slide, maybe a foot deep, but over that distance and the weight of the heavy, wet debris, you would not want to be caught under that. The road surface was a perfect terrain trap. There was still a ton of hangfire left behind and the previous bowl was also ready to rip.

The driver wanted to pull in right behind the other vehicles but we made him back up and pull in under a big rock face and outcrop where there was no snow above us. We were really concerned about the risk of secondary avalanches. We had hoped that the other vehicles would park next to us and that people would stay back, but as soon as the coaches came along, everyone got out and started to walk out towards the slide, like moths to the flame. We had shouted for people to stay back, that it was too dangerous with the risk of more avalanches. Maolin tried to get them to listen, but most of them just kept walking, saying they needed to help. There were only a limited number of shovels and before we knew it, there was a crowd of about 40 people hanging out with most of them taking selfies next to the slide. I couldn’t watch, it was an accident on a massive scale about to happen. Then the winter operations manager turned up. He saw the vehicles stopped and the slide, and just kept driving towards the debris pile and pulled in tight with the other vehicles. It was crazy. Grant and I were so frustrated. We were waiting for the rest of the slope to go and then people would be buried and it would be a disaster. We didn’t even have access to any rescue gear (all mine was in another vehicle and Grant had donated his shovel and probe to Mallequin), so we felt quite helpless. It was hard to watch.

It took about an hour and a half for them to clear a path through the multiple slides, wide enough for all the vehicles to pass through. It was a massive relief to leave that spot with everyone safe but we sensed more of the same was just around the corner. Sure enough, it didn’t take long for us to reach the next slide blocking the road. This was a relatively small one and we made it through relatively quickly. Then we came to the big one, about 300m wide with a car stuck in the middle. Again, all the vehicles were parked willy nilly, bumper to bumper. We stayed back, away from the crowd under an area where there had been a large slide already above and where the slope considerably lessened. The crowds all piled out to go take a look. This time we could see heavy machinery working its way towards us. This must surely be the end of the obstructions? It was getting late now, it was past 8pm and we had been on the road for more than 4 hours already. It was going to be a long night as we still had a long way to go. The temperature was starting to drop so I decided to hop out and have a look around. The slide was huge, running from way up high, through the trees (taking a few down with it) and crossing over the road. The car was extremely lucky; it was pretty much untouched by the debris and had a large 50m swathe surrounding it where the slide did not come down. It would have been very scary to have been in that vehicle. Hopefully the slide had come down relatively slowly and they had time to make it to that free spot. Maybe that was what happened, either way, I’m glad no one was hurt (it was confirmed to me later that no one was hurt).

I watched as the snow blower tried to plow its way through the debris, but it kept getting stuck. The debris was just too wet and heavy for the blower to make much headway. Then the digger took over and it plowed into the snow, scooping up massive loads and then dumping it over the side. It took several hours to get through to the convoy, but finally around 11pm, we were free. We could continue on. On the way, we must have passed about 30 places in total where they had cleared slides that blocked the road. As we got up high, we saw another digger, but with only 1 snow blower and 2 diggers, they had had their work cut out for them. It was amazing that no one was hurt. We got to the town we were staying at (no chance of making it to Aletai) by 2:30am and was able to get to bed by 3am. Then we were up at 8am with a nice breakfast (steamed dumplings and eggs) at an awesome hole in the wall place opposite the hotel. We were at the airport by 11am with the flight leaving just before 1pm. We had the usual crazy amount of security with my brand new multi-tool getting confiscated (even though it was going in the checked baggage!) but my hand luggage trick (put anything electronic in a plastic bag which I would then take out of my airbag), working well. They flagged my airbag (remembered to unscrew the battery this time) and checked that again, but not Grant’s. The security here is very inconsistent.

The flight to Urumqi was quick, only an hour and then we said goodbye to Maolin. He was going skiing at the Silk Road ski area the next day. Then we had the 3.5 hour flight to Beijing which arrived on time around 8:20pm. I said goodbye to Grant (he’d been a really great person to be on this trip with, laid back, fun and was great to have a second person around to be able to discuss any concerns with when we were exposed to avalanche danger, cheers Grant!) and I headed to the Langham Palace to meet my wife (MUCH better hotel than the Ibis, a lot more expensive but really, really nice, strongly recommended if you need a place in Beijing right next to Terminal 3).

That’s the end of the daily reports for this trip and what an adventure it has been! If you guys want to see more, then I can post some more photos and write a bonus report on the traveling my wife and I did in China after the Xinjiang adventure. Thanks for following along, expect a few more posts (plus plenty more to come from the Japan and India trips).

- Matt

DSC05395.JPG
As it warmed up on our final day, a lot of the roofs started to slide. They went big, this was approximately 4ft of slab on top of this roof that went (the whole roof eventually went). If you were caught underneath that when it went, you would have been crushed. There were a few near misses that day. This was the first time the resort had opened in the winter time, hopefully they will learn from this and make sure the roofs are cleared or the walkways that have overhanging roofs near them are closed off......

DSC05396.JPG

DSC05400.JPG
This is the small hill that is behind the Hemu Hotel that will become a ski hill. They are looking at putting in a lift to the top in the near future and will have a ski school.

DSC05401.JPG
Looks like my bar is byo! Unfortunately it is closed during the winter.....

DSC05402.JPG
The convoy is getting ready to leave.

DSC05403.JPG
One of about 30 avalanches that had crossed the road, on the way out. I'm not going to lie, the car ride out was one of the scariest day's of my life......

DSC05404.JPG
Imagine 40km's of this....... not fun.

DSC05405.JPG

DSC05406.JPG
They have 1 snow blower and 2 heavy diggers to keep this entire stretch open. They are woefully under-prepared. Hat's off to the people that put their lives at risk to keep this road open.

DSC05407.JPG
This debris pile was probably about 12 feet high. There were some that were closer to 25ft high. It was a long day getting out.....

DSC05408.JPG
Yes, that's a trapped car! Thankfully the car was in a gap between two big slides and was hardly touched, so no one was hurt. That must have been pretty darn scary to have the mountain come down around them.

DSC05409.JPG
This was the biggest slide, probably about 300ft wide and debris up to 30ft high. This one took down trees. That's what happens when an already massively weak snowpack receives considerable rainfall and then it warms up again.

DSC05410.JPG
The snowblower could not cope with the heavy wet snow and kept getting stuck. The heavy digger came through and did most of the major clearing. We were stopped for several hours, all the snow had already come down from the mountain in this spot, so watching the digger work helped to pass the time.

DSC05411.JPG
Finally the big slide was cleared and we were through. There were another 20 old slides that we passed through that they had cleared........ we made it to our hotel at about 3am, then had to be up at 8am that day. It was crazy, but I'm thankful that everyone was safe and we made it out in one piece.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
G'day gang,
I thought I'd finish the blog with a little showcase of Mr. Grant Nakamura's fine photography work. Here's some of the highlights of our trip to China...... looks like I will be heading back there in 2018 with a small group. Excited to be going back!

539934_1490004891019345_4334416641110908870_n.jpg 983936_1489972427689258_8629256224142081830_n.jpg 17358542_1214584985315327_425465243312163913_o.jpg 17424590_1217892964984529_6849270031002498990_n.jpg 17498392_1489979277688573_6733719738118173386_n.jpg 17498762_1218396624934163_5205039077580597603_n.jpg 17522671_1489993064353861_4709836817277691126_n.jpg 17522749_1218396888267470_6599056963072473369_n.jpg 17620167_1489998504353317_2883668182502980373_o.jpg 17621693_1219317041508788_512138592684201721_o.jpg 17626384_1489975491022285_3823140841464483056_n.jpg 17626426_1489975794355588_7223031108962890179_n.jpg 17626626_1489974994355668_8268634805279025465_n.jpg 17629708_1489960784357089_3056232710281004892_n.jpg 17634323_1489970627689438_6786876771937928639_n.jpg 17634344_1489974697689031_9026971921771904959_n.jpg 17634371_1489971584356009_455669626690375147_n.jpg 17634401_1489992194353948_70229487933829999_n.jpg 17634459_1489983027688198_4994332181690569866_n.jpg 17634649_1489988034354364_3888782767866062611_n.jpg 17634802_1489996711020163_8205869040293220593_n.jpg 17757645_1489961731023661_6910703219780027305_n.jpg 17759751_1489970157689485_3548935091684352719_n.jpg 17759872_1489983941021440_8367705836315982099_n.jpg

A big thanks to everyone involved in this unique trip: Grant Nakamura for being my wingman and taking all these great photos; Maolin Gu for being our local liaison and coordinating everything in China; "Darren" Wang Peng our Chinese travel agent; all the guides and staff at the Aletai Snowpark; the staff at the Hemu Hotel and all the friendly, kind and generous people of Xinjiang who really made this a special trip. Finally, thank you to all you readers for following this report and sharing the journey with me. Thanks to you all!

- Matt

Sponsor

Staff online