• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Once in a Decade" Ski

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Wow, I just realized how old this post was......I actually wrote a reply and then deleted it. After thinking about I figured I would reply anyway since it didn't seem that anyone ever gave you the input you were looking for.....

Just based on what you said in this single post I would offer the following advice.......If you're not a carver and therefore not accustomed to really bending a ski and stepping on the gas pedal than I would advise you against getting any race ski at this point. I would suggest a medium flex ski with a medium flex boot that fits tight. A great developmental ski is the Rossignol Experience 77 or 80 but not the HD models. A regular E80 and a 90 flex boot with some coaching is what got my son carving. I will continue to work with him this season on this set up. You will develop your skills rapidly on a medium flex set up. Once you can rip that ski, move up to a stiffer flex ski and when you start to overpower the boot move up to a 110-120. Work up to the race boards if thats ultimately where you want to end up. Years ago I tried exactly what you're suggesting and it didn't work out for me. I had to take a couple steps back and work myself into it in the manner outlined.

Thank much, @PisteOff . I later opened a dedicated thread on the topic. Long story short, I wound up on the Head iRally's at 170cm. Some of the people who helped, actually skied with me late in the season, and guided the search. It was a toss between the Rally's and the Titans. But I already have the Dynastar PT 89 @ 179, so the Rally's seem like they would diversify the quiver a little more. I can't wait to try them out!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thank much, @PisteOff . I later opened a dedicated thread on the topic. Long story short, I wound up on the Head iRally's at 170cm. Some of the people who helped, actually skied with me late in the season, and guided the search. It was a toss between the Rally's and the Titans. But I already have the Dynastar PT 89 @ 179, so the Rally's seem like they would diversify the quiver a little more. I can't wait to try them out!
Having skied mine for a season I am sure you will LOVE them. Once you find your spot on the ski it delivers like all the claims. The binding moves so easy on the tract that you can play with moving it forward or back of the mounting mark to get a variety ski movement by doing those binding shift.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Understood :) Here is the thing, I don't carve well, I tend to skid, but I do put them on edge, a lot better that I steer/pivot. Actually, I had to get better at pivoting to be able to do bumps (work in progress as well). I do need to increase the edge angle, which in turns needs better angulation and separation, better focus on for-aft, etc.

All things said, my plan would be to get a carving ski, likely a Masters GS (I know I shouldn't look into FIS anything). And start like in my first season, from greens, and only use them in smooth groomed runs. And build from there. So, I would always have my 90mm all mountains as daily drivers, or for bumpy conditions, etc, Thanks for the suggestion!

Just found this... you made the right choice, AND it's a great compliment for your Powertrack 89! Let us know how it goes! (And after you get used to them, a 1/3 will be the next performance upgrade for your Rally's. ogsmile ) I have no idea what I was thinking when I said you should get a race ski. I think I was responding to someone else and pasted your quote in.

:philgoat: :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online