• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Once in a Decade" Ski

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's the length I have. I would be happy to let you try them if you happen to be near me, but then, you ordered them so,....I'm betting you'll be in love as soon as you make your first turns.

I can't wait! and Oh how I wish I was near you, I'd love to go skiing. was just lamenting (whining) to my DH how much I miss skiing... may have to go to killington
I wish I wasn't so busy at work or I'd hop a flight out west to ski more.. make turns for me please :)

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
It has a bit more than the Motive 95 or Monster 88. But it's a lot less than many "modern" skis. I think it looks like more on their website than it really is. I think you are in the Tahoe area? If you can swing by True North when @Philpug is around I am sure he'd let you check them out, or even ski them . . .

As for what it does, the CW is that tail rocker makes it easier to release the tails in 3D snow and a flat tails gives you more support in finishing a turn. I'm far from an expert, but I believe I've experienced both of these things.

As for sizing, the 180 is a lot of ski. I'm 200lbs. I know @Jed Peters is a big guy too, and probably a more aggressive skier than me, so he may have more to say. One of the nice things about this HDT stuff (assuming its the HDT) is the harder you push the ski, the stronger it pushes back. Again, it sounds gimmicky, but I know I am not the only one who can actually feel this.

"Release the tails"? Not so much. At least not making GS/SG race turns on icy conditions with a .7 base tune.

Needless to say, I would suggest a 1* base grind.

As for sizing, the 180 will take you faster than I'm able to go or comfortable with, along with the HDT. The stuff really works.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
How do the Z90's compare to the MX89's? I might have missed the comparison if it's buried in this thread. I've skied the Z90's and plenty of Kastles, just not the MX89's.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow, I got them yesterday! I am going to try to get them to Bluezone for mounting this afternoon and try to ski them tomorrow. Usually I wouldn't consider brand new skis this late in the season, but, yeah, coverage is . . . good.

Here is a picture of the tails for @Jay Townsend :

h1Sbk2LJaelllf6OrYSuwu1AXsvxCIn79tFqj_LHkKmAjEJKPOfbS13l4sWRLgqgBPFhOiUQpCwXgCJ914j0biqoW92YTWxistbmYyhkMARSiC6ARQbCAh08xooisR4V6IT_sDd72JdLBVEW6x2fzPXf7WaGcW-PgbuV1hX_h4bc06PWYUtF-0o_s8fjggQ118xJ9uWEszSM200t0vYvjZGaYHk9KoXd6OpyMF64GIXKRko09OZro4_rbWZ69UgpjAs7E7FcLYGGXUBcbwQXlNk1dLMVHxz9Eq9AA6kF5CZeRVVZVkzosPH_DaJ_Z8URvZQlzoHByd-RLRxmhbiRfew1VJHgX69yUr3141IlNExcZDWhORZB4fWFm4yI-bmvJ0BaF6m3MsW1iBYJHWUKRkx6eTt7PgGjHuIbCOq3Bgb47uZmuh1LWbhYg7itEiW73co3xpv1zQBIqoulM4XsW1ixL89f-4iIk08UUDdNHwbawtBqGJo1vwWxhX0GEI8dxxK0HhVDqe8owbJNmXjCywtXTv1OJZO8jxQVP2zIbRJP49EQNrVVjjdonhCJeZywhYxycoYRwMh8UvoLr1yhiYHaNmeDhkAbq3xrDpDPeCHaPJMOv4FP=w851-h638-no

My thumb is on the point where they touch the table.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@skibob

Photo is not showing up, but it could be me as I'm in China and the internet is a bit weird here

Thanks for posting it though! Hope you enjoy the skis

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm reading all this love for the Z-90, anyone skiing the Z-77?
We have. The 77 is the the 90, just 13mm narrower, tip to tail. The differences are as you would expect, quicker edge to edge with a bit of loss of versatility in softer snow.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
Well maybe at Abasin. Though sizes will be an issue. I believe Phil only has the Z-77 in 180. I'm think @FairToMiddlin might have a Titan.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well maybe at Abasin. Though sizes will be an issue. I believe Phil only has the Z-77 in 180. I'm think @FairToMiddlin might have a Titan.
Or maybe @Philpug @Andy Mink @Sierrajim @Jed Peters @TahoeCharlie @Unpiste @textrovert @Mendieta and myself and others could get together sooner to A/B them . . . We are all big enough and/or skilled enough skiers.

It would be a fun format to put something like that into a conversation that revolves around a day of several people actually skiing these (and perhaps others) together.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Or maybe @Philpug @Andy Mink @Sierrajim @Jed Peters @TahoeCharlie @Unpiste @textrovert @Mendieta and myself and others could get together sooner to A/B them . . . We are all big enough and/or skilled enough skiers.

It would be a fun format to put something like that into a conversation that revolves around a day of several people actually skiing these (and perhaps others) together.

Hell, yeah! I call a day at Rose now in May. I am perhaps big enough, not skilled enough, but I can give the perspective from the lower end of the spectrum. Important to keep in mind that a late Spring day will very likely mean 2 hours of real skiable groomers. 10 to 12 or so ...

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

FWIW, neither the 180 Z-90 or 177 Titan ski 'long' at all. I'm assuming the Z77 is similar in that regard. The Z90 would be a great western OSQ for many, so if eliminates the need for extra skis, then the $$$ is worth it. With the 77, you're really into more competitive piste product a la the supershapes and non FIS race skis.

Sponsor

Staff online