• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Once in a Decade" Ski

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Was thinking about these a bit. Inevitably skis I really like in the long run, I mean really like, initially test as 'very nice' with one or two questions. After 3-4 days when the flavor of the current daily driver wears off and Im felling fully acclimated to a particular ski, THEN I start to gush about things. The Z-90 is probably this type of ski. I liked it. It did some nice things and had a very unique feel. I probably need more time to 'ski' it without wondering what it will be like in terrain and snow that I don't want to have any questions about how a ski is going to behave. Part of the trouble (good trouble) is that the Z-90 does things that usually takes a couple of pairs to do, so sometimes expectations are a little unrealistic on my part. They aren't race skis. They aren't as smooth and damp at speed as a 184 Monster 88, but then again, the Z is easier to ski. They are very much like (as mentioned before) a 2/3rds Stoeckli SR 88, 1/3rd Head Titan, which is a seriously unique pairing of expectations and 'feel'. Pretty cool.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@markojp after @Jed Peters initially got on the ski for an afternoon and he was done gushing about the ski I told him, that he woudl be thinking about the ski all the way home, He said said, Nah, it is really good but he would be fine. Later that night I received a text ""Expletive" you, Phil. All I could do was think about that ski." The Z90 does that, it gets under your ski to where you cannot think about it. You think about where you want to ski and the terrain it will excellerate on. You think about missing lunch because you want to take a few more runs. I get the question often of what sk is the Z90 line, I see your 2/3 Stormrider 88 and 1/3 Head Titan as a good reference.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
@markojp after @Jed Peters initially got on the ski for an afternoon and he was done gushing about the ski I told him, that he woudl be thinking about the ski all the way home, He said said, Nah, it is really good but he would be fine. Later that night I received a text ""Expletive" you, Phil. All I could do was think about that ski.".

That's because I knew my wallet had been lightened by almost $2000!!!!!

I so didn't want to like this ski. I thought there was a place a place for the stockli SX in the lineup next to the SR95 and SR115....guess not!!!!

I get the question often of what sk is the Z90 line, I see your 2/3 Stormrider 88 and 1/3 Head Titan as a good reference.

It's a "carving? Turny 90mm ski! That still handles off piste.

Best ski ever made, imho.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been on the Z90's since January, and have had the opportunity to put the Z90s thru everything the east coast can throw at them. Fresh snow, groomers, ice, hard-pack, bumps, slush, crud, and even some powder (can't believe the awesome ski season this year!) The steeps, the groomers, the glades, rocks, trees, etc... so far nothing is outside the capabilities of this ski. The love to go fast, they love to go slow, the love quick turns, the love short turns. Just CRAZY. -They are not incredible at just any one thing, but are just great at everything. The dampening at higher speeds is ridiculous. This ski loves to carve, but will do whatever is asked of it. Has to be on top of anyones list as best all mountain east coast ski.

A very happy Z90 owner.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's because I knew my wallet had been lightened by almost $2000!!!!!

I so didn't want to like this ski. I thought there was a place a place for the stockli SX in the lineup next to the SR95 and SR115....guess not!!!!

So you really only out the difference between the Z90 and the SX, right? Easily affordable!! ogwink

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
So you really only out the difference between the Z90 and the SX, right? Easily affordable!! ogwink

True, but I didn't "have" to buy the SX, as I already had a ski in it's place in the quiver. Difference is that I HAD to buy the Renoun after skiing it. It was THAT good.

Edit: Plus I could get somewhat of a "deal" on the SX, whereas the Z90 was full pop...

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
love reading this thread and I also ordered Z-90's.. first ski I've bought w/out trying since straight ski days.. yes, all the love sold me.. so now what bindings shall I get?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
love reading this thread and I also ordered Z-90's.. first ski I've bought w/out trying since straight ski days.. yes, all the love sold me.. so now what bindings shall I get?
Burt II? Spademan S4? Americana? Moog? Oh oh oh..Kneebinding?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Burt II? Spademan S4? Americana? Moog? Oh oh oh..Kneebinding?

LOL think I have the spademan's on my woodies in my 'historical' ski section of the garage.. keep saying I'll make chairs or a fence out of the old skis but there they sit getting dusty..

38662340_vbattach2981.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Impossible for me to say for sure. But I got to ride the ones @Philpug has here (I share Northstar as a home mountain), so I am lucky. I would never have plunked down this kind of money w/o trying first, but part of that is mere inexperience on my part. Nonetheless, I think its likely you will love it.

I've written more extensively, but I'll use my current DD as a starting point for comparison: Fischer Motive 95. First, understand the Motive is the most I've ever liked a ski. Now, make it lighter. Check. Faster edge to edge. Check. More dampened. Check. Yet livelier. Check. More precise. Check. Easier to engage the shovel. Check. Easier to bend into tight turns. Check. Easier to ride centered in longer arcs. Check.

I think, or at least I thought, it was non-sensical to say that a ski was both lively and dampened. Marketing-speak like saying that a ski floats in powder and carves up the groomers equally well. But I think this HDT thing of Renoun's might just be a bona fide "technology" that really does something. There is something in any event that gives this ski a great deal of pop in addition to just tuning out vibrations and jolts. It also makes for a true progressive flex such that the more input you give it the stiffer the response and vice versa.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You will love them. I've skied them a few times thanks to @Philpug. Crazy fun.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like the Z-Series has a fair amount of rocker in the tail. Seems more so than a lot of skis. What does this do for a ski? Do you need to adjust length for this design?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I found my bindings! perfect use take these off my first pair of skis....what better than to use the first bindings on "the once in a decade ski"

CIMG0480 - Copy.JPG

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like the Z-Series has a fair amount of rocker in the tail. Seems more so than a lot of skis. What does this do for a ski? Do you need to adjust length for this design?
It has a bit more than the Motive 95 or Monster 88. But it's a lot less than many "modern" skis. I think it looks like more on their website than it really is. I think you are in the Tahoe area? If you can swing by True North when @Philpug is around I am sure he'd let you check them out, or even ski them . . .

As for what it does, the CW is that tail rocker makes it easier to release the tails in 3D snow and a flat tails gives you more support in finishing a turn. I'm far from an expert, but I believe I've experienced both of these things.

As for sizing, the 180 is a lot of ski. I'm 200lbs. I know @Jed Peters is a big guy too, and probably a more aggressive skier than me, so he may have more to say. One of the nice things about this HDT stuff (assuming its the HDT) is the harder you push the ski, the stronger it pushes back. Again, it sounds gimmicky, but I know I am not the only one who can actually feel this.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What length did you order?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's the length I have. I would be happy to let you try them if you happen to be near me, but then, you ordered them so,....I'm betting you'll be in love as soon as you make your first turns.

Sponsor

Staff online