• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Once in a Decade" Ski

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia, if you haven't been on the 100Eights (173cm), we can swap for a bit. Comfort food. It's like skiing on mac & cheese. ;)
You know your way into her heart. Yes, she has been on it..and likes it.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I stumbled on this detailed, favorable review of the Renoun Endurance 98 over on Yellow Gentian:

http://www.yellowgentian.com/ski-reviews/all-mountain/renoun-endurance-98

Notice that the Endurance 98 has become the reviewer's #1 favorite all mountain ski. I wonder what will happen when he gets on the Z90? :)

(The particular Yellow Gentian reviewer, Craig, has been a Vail ski patroller and PSIA instructor, and has reviewed lots of skis well, to me.)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, that was my hunch. It's also the case that the ski that rewards advanced skills penalizes the lack of them. Thanks a lot for the offer, I don't think it's sensible for me to demo at this point. Maybe in the spring if I managed to put a good number of quality ski days and things moved forward. I'm loving the learning process and enjoying every minute of it. :)
I'd respectfully disagree. I am not the advanced skier a lot of these commenting are. I skied them in adverse conditions, and too short. And found them to be, well, all in all, easier than my Motive 95s.

The thing I think is special is that they are softer at low input and stiffer with big input. I think you are on a powertrack or pinnacle? They won't be slip-slidey-slarvy fun like that ski. But to go from that to a genuine--carver isn't the right word, but to a ski that rewards good technique (probably a better way to say this)--you couldn't ask for a better ski.

IMHO, you owe it to yourself to get on this ski. If nothing else, it will show you the road ahead. More gently and with more fun than any other ski I can think of. It might (or might not) be too soon for you to think of owning it. But I think its exactly the right time (not ever having actually seen you ski) to demo it.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I'd respectfully disagree. I am not the advanced skier a lot of these commenting are. I skied them in adverse conditions, and too short. And found them to be, well, all in all, easier than my Motive 95s.

The thing I think is special is that they are softer at low input and stiffer with big input. I think you are on a powertrack or pinnacle? They won't be slip-slidey-slarvy fun like that ski. But to go from that to a genuine--carver isn't the right word, but to a ski that rewards good technique (probably a better way to say this)--you couldn't ask for a better ski.

IMHO, you owe it to yourself to get on this ski. If nothing else, it will show you the road ahead. More gently and with more fun than any other ski I can think of. It might (or might not) be too soon for you to think of owning it. But I think its exactly the right time (not ever having actually seen you ski) to demo it.

Thanks, yes, the Powertracks 89. I think they are pretty balanced between carving and pivoting, and balanced overall. Definitely forgiving.

Thanks for the interesting perspective!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kill them? Seriously, some skis are "too much ski" for some of us. I like how some of the big ski shops and some times even manufacturers will rate a ski as "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced" or "expert". What would be the minimum skill requirement for the Z90? Thanks!
I can't speak to the minimum skill for the Z90'S but...I am an ok skier, probably upper intermediate (though my Mom says I'm a level 7) and I got to use the 174 version of the Renouns. In a word?
Holycowthesethingsareamazing!
I don't have the experience to compare to dozens of other skis but on the first run I could tell these skis are different. Groomers that I skied yesterday on my regular skis (Moment Tahoes) were faster, better turns, and smoother today. There was no chatter on the crusty groomers or the pack underneath. Today was pretty much groomers only but that's what I like. Honestly, if I looked half as good as I felt, I looked maaaahhhhhvelous! A great experience. Thanks @Philpug! Or, as I said earlier, thanks a lot. Now I'm ruined!

So, to the original question, I think someone who is an intermediate/advanced skier will up their game a lot on these skis. Are they worth the price of admission? I don't know since I have a very limited comparison base and just got back into skiing after several years off. But they'd definitely be something to look at if you ski a lot and aren't afraid of paying some bucks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink doesn't smoke, but he asked if we could get a "satisfied" smoking emoji after skiing these skis.

smoking-smiley-face.gif

*I didn't add this emoji I just copied the image into photos

Last edited:

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
@Andy Mink I wish I could have seen that. I like seeing someone try these skis for the first time. It's pretty awesome.

And, I think something along the lines of the renoun will really help your cruising and carving...what you were on yesterday seemed to be a bit wide for the fun cruising of the conditions!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I got on the 180cm z90 yesterday. I liked it every bit as much as the 174 and then some.

What I am wondering is if these are mounted to the original mounting point, or have been moved back (is it -3cm?)? When I first got on them, they were a little squirrelly. Could have been the conditions which were dust on ice w/ death cookies. I moved them back 1cm and MONEY. Just for fun, I moved them back another cm and, although they were still nice, the tips wanted to come around into a tighter turn than I intended at speed. They were however fun to ride out (at -2cm) down Village Run (flatish green) and give very minimal input. Just a little big toe and . . . swish. That was nice. But at speed . . . not folding up, just giving me a tighter turn than I meant to do.

So I don't think -3cm would have felt right (although I didn't try it). But I also didn't like -0- at all either.
:huh:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I can't speak to the minimum skill for the Z90'S but...I am an ok skier, probably upper intermediate (though my Mom says I'm a level 7) and I got to use the 174 version of the Renouns. In a word?
Holycowthesethingsareamazing!
I don't have the experience to compare to dozens of other skis but on the first run I could tell these skis are different. Groomers that I skied yesterday on my regular skis (Moment Tahoes) were faster, better turns, and smoother today. There was no chatter on the crusty groomers or the pack underneath. Today was pretty much groomers only but that's what I like. Honestly, if I looked half as good as I felt, I looked maaaahhhhhvelous! A great experience. Thanks @Philpug! Or, as I said earlier, thanks a lot. Now I'm ruined!

So, to the original question, I think someone who is an intermediate/advanced skier will up their game a lot on these skis. Are they worth the price of admission? I don't know since I have a very limited comparison base and just got back into skiing after several years off. But they'd definitely be something to look at if you ski a lot and aren't afraid of paying some bucks.

Thank you tons, Andy, for taking the time. And then they say that money won't buy you happiness! :huh:

Now that my plans to be hired by Renoun as a lowly astoturfer failed, I am thinking of staring a negative campaign to reduce their re-sale value, and get one of our fellow Puggers sell me their pair for next to nothing. :D

In terms of sizing, I know these don't ski short. Are they better off to the top of your head? (match your height) Cheers!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got on the 180cm z90 yesterday. I liked it every bit as much as the 174 and then some.

What I am wondering is if these are mounted to the original mounting point, or have been moved back (is it -3cm?)? When I first got on them, they were a little squirrelly. Could have been the conditions which were dust on ice w/ death cookies. I moved them back 1cm and MONEY. Just for fun, I moved them back another cm and, although they were still nice, the tips wanted to come around into a tighter turn than I intended at speed. They were however fun to ride out (at -2cm) down Village Run (flatish green) and give very minimal input. Just a little big toe and . . . swish. That was nice. But at speed . . . not folding up, just giving me a tighter turn than I meant to do.

So I don't think -3cm would have felt right (although I didn't try it). But I also didn't like -0- at all either.
:huh:
The pair that you skied, are mounted correctly. I will say the squirrelliness you felt was in the tune which was pretty agressive with a .7 base. I didn't ski the ski before you got on them, I did today though and while the ski performed great on the groomers, it was a bit unwilling to be worked in mixed conditions.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you tons, Andy, for taking the time. And then they say that money won't buy you happiness! :huh:

Now that my plans to be hired by Renoun as a lowly astoturfer failed, I am thinking of staring a negative campaign to reduce their re-sale value, and get one of our fellow Puggers sell me their pair for next to nothing. :D

In terms of sizing, I know these don't ski short. Are they better off to the top of your head? (match your height) Cheers!
I am 5'10" and probably 235 all geared up. I didn't ski the longer ones (180's) but can't fathom how they'd be better than the 174's at my physical stats and abilities. If they are better, I'd need two of @Tricia 's cigarette smoking emojis!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink I wish I could have seen that. I like seeing someone try these skis for the first time. It's pretty awesome.

And, I think something along the lines of the renoun will really help your cruising and carving...what you were on yesterday seemed to be a bit wide for the fun cruising of the conditions!
@Jed Peters, the carving was eye opening for me. I can carve my Tahoes at 98 underfoot and they hold well but I wasn't really confident. I had no idea how hard I was working to make them carve, though. The Renouns just do it with a drop of the knee. Drop your hip too and you're a hero! Long or short carving turns were so much easier and confidence inspiring. I had a few where I felt the tails wash out but it was because I was getting lazy and not finishing the turn.

Last edited:

Jed Peters

Skier
Personally, I like the .7 base bevel. Both on and off piste.

HOWEVER, I can say that undoubtedly, they take a certain pilot.

I think a 1 degree base bevel is quite a bit "friendlier" for the masses.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will not get into @Andy Mink's history but he hs skied more this month than he did in the previous 15 years...combined. Andy is just getting back into ski seriously this season. I got him set up in boots and he had some skis i.e. the Moment Tahoes that he won. Now he is getting serious and is considering a new ski. @Jed Peters actually skied with Andy and myself the day before and Jed, I was was skiing at 8-9/10 of my usual speed and Andy on the Z90 was either with me the whole time and actually passed me more than once. The Renoun was a game changer for him.

Jed Peters

Skier
I will not get into @Andy Mink's history but he hs skied more this month than he did in the previous 15 years...combined. Andy is just getting back into ski seriously this season. I got him set up in boots and he had some skis i.e. the Moment Tahoes that he won. Now he is getting serious and is considering a new ski. @Jed Peters actually skied with Andy and myself the day before and Jed, I was was skiing at 8-9/10 of my usual speed and Andy on the Z90 was either with me the whole time and actually passed me more than once. The Renoun was a game changer for him.

That's AMAZING. I will say that I had a very skilled ex-racer on the ski in the afternoon yesterday, and he thought equally that the skis were superlative.

@Andy Mink I think you're mischaracterizing your skiing anyhow--you have many of the trappings/making of an advanced skier--if anything, according to most who characterize their skiing--you're "advanced" as a skier.

It truly is a revolutionary ski.

I know every time I ski on mine, I really like them.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Any Renoun demo possibilities in SLC next month?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The pair that you skied, are mounted correctly. I will say the squirrelliness you felt was in the tune which was pretty agressive with a .7 base. I didn't ski the ski before you got on them, I did today though and while the ski performed great on the groomers, it was a bit unwilling to be worked in mixed conditions.
Interesting. Validates my impression of -2cm. But still, try them at -1 and tell me what you think? I loved them at -1.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Personally, I like the .7 base bevel. Both on and off piste.

HOWEVER, I can say that undoubtedly, they take a certain pilot.

I think a 1 degree base bevel is quite a bit "friendlier" for the masses.
I liked it plenty when I moved them back 1cm! Two things I didn't like on the line: they were difficult to ride flat. Obviously, don't do that is a good answer. I took lookout bypass (was with my son) and they kind of wore me out. Also, on the firm+death cookies, my tails were breaking loose.

I tend to ride forward and I have plenty of mass to power them with. Totally unrelated to the ski, but brings up a question: would you say I was too far forward. Or would you say, if they are perfect when you moved them back a cm, then who cares?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They are hero makers, in my mind. As I said, I don't have a lot to compare to but these skis are so damp without being dead, responsive without being twitchy. You don't have to be "on them" at 100% all the time. You'll be rewarded if you are, but they won't bite you if you're not. The vibration and chatter is almost non-existant. They are smoooooth. They're like art to me: I can't explain it but I know what I like and I like these. A lot.

Jed Peters

Skier
I liked it plenty when I moved them back 1cm! Two things I didn't like on the line: they were difficult to ride flat. Obviously, don't do that is a good answer. I took lookout bypass (was with my son) and they kind of wore me out. Also, on the firm+death cookies, my tails were breaking loose.

I tend to ride forward and I have plenty of mass to power them with. Totally unrelated to the ski, but brings up a question: would you say I was too far forward. Or would you say, if they are perfect when you moved them back a cm, then who cares?

I will have to ski with you to determine that, sorry.

Sponsor

Staff online