• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Once in a Decade" Ski

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This will be the first major trip for the Alltrack, will need to see how it handles skis.

Inside? I use the thule bag I posted about a few weeks ago. Leave it open so moisture escapes. My 190's fit straight inside my Honda Pilot but basically take the entire length of the cargo area almost to the center console of the front seats but there is some space left. On the Forester the tips rest on the center console. No biggie. At worst thats what its gonna happen in your alltrack with longer skis.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So you're saying if Renoun makes a 70-80 something, you're in? You're going to spring for $1400 clams? And just now when you can finally pick up a pair of used MX88's for less than $400? Are you ok, CR? :crossfingers:

My point was more that for groomers and light fresh 70-80 is probably a better dimension for most when it comes to actual utility. But, they don't look nearly as cool. Only thing I will ski under 80 are designated bump or race/carve skis in the 60s. 70-80 is probably a much better dimension for pretty hard stuff, but they just aren't in because they aren't as cool looking as the 80+ If Renoun was looking to make the BEST PERFORMING frontside ski it would be a little narrower. That ski wouldn't sell no matter now much better it performs though.. Just.Not.Cool.Looking

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
My point was more that for groomers and light fresh 70-80 is probably a better dimension for most when it comes to actual utility. But, they don't look nearly as cool. Only thing I will ski under 80 are designated bump or race/carve skis in the 60s. 70-80 is probably a much better dimension for pretty hard stuff, but they just aren't in because they aren't as cool looking as the 80+ If Renoun was looking to make the BEST PERFORMING frontside ski it would be a little narrower. That ski wouldn't sell no matter now much better it performs though.. Just.Not.Cool.Looking

Renoun make essentially the same ski in 77 width - Z-77 - Same construction etc as the Z-90 just narrower. Ask @Philpug about them. When I demoed the Z-90's they carved/held better then my Magnum 8.1's on hardpack.

Really don't understand you comments about ski's being "in". Do you buy skis for "looks/coolness", or because of "peer pressure"?
I buy skis that WORK the best for ME

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
This will be the first major trip for the Alltrack, will need to see how it handles skis.

Could have been this weekend, but I know how you love smelly feet.

FYI, PowMow should be fully open tomorrow after a week closed and a limited offering/opening today.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Renoun make essentially the same ski in 77 width - Z-77 - Same construction etc as the Z-90 just narrower. Ask @Philpug about them. When I demoed the Z-90's they carved/held better then my Magnum 8.1's on hardpack.

Really don't understand you comments about ski's being "in". Do you buy skis for "looks/coolness", or because of "peer pressure"?
I buy skis that WORK the best for ME
I don't. Like I said, HUGE hole in my quiver for the 70somethings.. I really think that wider skis look cooler and narrower 60somethings carve best on hardpack and are e2e quickest in bumps. I honestly believe that 70s would be better performing on packed and harder, anything not deep enough for your pole baskets to disappear in due to basic physics. Today's 80s and 90s are pretty good, good enough when aesthetics are also a factor in my what to ski today decision. If I want THE BEST hardpack performance I go 60s but it needs to be a decent looking race ski or dedicated bump ski.. something cool. Nothing in the 70s seems "cool" to me for any reason other than physics..

I had some 70s but never used them.. mostly because I didn't think they were cool looking.

Do you want your turns to look good? Do you want your jacket and pants to look good? We all have the desire to look "cool" and seek approval on some level. Some more than others of course..

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I don't. Like I said, HUGE hole in my quiver for the 70somethings.. I really think that wider skis look cooler and narrower 60somethings carve best on hardpack and are e2e quickest in bumps. I honestly believe that 70s would be better performing on packed and harder, anything not deep enough for your pole baskets to disappear in due to basic physics. Today's 80s and 90s are pretty good, good enough when aesthetics are also a factor in my what to ski today decision. If I want THE BEST hardpack performance I go 60s but it needs to be a decent looking race ski or dedicated bump ski.. something cool. Nothing in the 70s seems "cool" to me for any reason other than physics..

I had some 70s but never used them.. mostly because I didn't think they were cool looking.

Do you want your turns to look good? Do you want your jacket and pants to look good? We all have the desire to look "cool" and seek approval on some level. Some more than others of course..

Wow, I guess you are way into the "Some more than others..." "cool" category. I've never met anyone who would give up a whole performance category of "something", in this case skis, just because they are NOT "cool".

You say: " I honestly believe that 70s would be better performing on packed and harder...".
Then you say: "I had some 70s but never used them.. mostly because I didn't think they were cool looking".

I simply don't understand your logic, sounds like you would cut of your nose to spite your face, as the old saying goes.

Referencing your last paragraph, of course I like to look "good" on the slopes, but I would never sacrifice functionality and performance for the sake of "coolness" or "fashion".

Anyway, to each his own; good luck skiing around that "HUGE whole in my quiver...'.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wow, I guess you are way into the "Some more than others..." "cool" category. I've never met anyone who would give up a whole performance category of "something", in this case skis, just because they are NOT "cool".

You say: " I honestly believe that 70s would be better performing on packed and harder...".
Then you say: "I had some 70s but never used them.. mostly because I didn't think they were cool looking".

I simply don't understand your logic, sounds like you would cut of your nose to spite your face, as the old saying goes.

Referencing your last paragraph, of course I like to look "good" on the slopes, but I would never sacrifice functionality and performance for the sake of "coolness" or "fashion".

Anyway, to each his own; good luck skiing around that "HUGE whole in my quiver...'.
Nothing here I disagree with. I'd rather ski a more dedicated 60s than an all mountain 70s under just about every very hard snow scenario. I'm perfectly happy on a cooler looking 80s or 90s ski in softer conditions

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
......... any words on the Endurance? Mainly 98 vs 104?
Love the 104's for the couple of runs that I had on them. A month into the 100 day guarantee period with 19 days and 253K Vert logged so far on the 184 Endurance 98. Rarely beat my wife racing but yesterday on the Renouns took her by two seconds. My old Tigersharks that I raced in are headed to the trash heap as I have a new fast race ski. A couple of our female friends thought I lost weight and noted that I was looking good. So not only do this skis make my ass look smaller they also move my ass faster. Skied my V-werks Katana for the five days before putting the Renouns in service with zero days on them since. How can one 98 under foot ski bump both my race ski and powder ski out of the line-up. It must be some of that Vermont magic that @Cyrus Schenck sneaks into the mix. Mainly bought this ski to be my Killington daily driver and it does a superb job at the task. I can make slower tight radius turns when following the wife. Dance down the steepest most technical lines with ease. Slices thru the bumps with ease and talk about fast. The faster you ski the smoother the ride gets. Yes it is that good a ski in my opinion.

Rich Peters

Booting up
Skier
Ok, I'm the guy that gave up a pair of Stocklii AX's and Stormrider 95's for Renoun Z90's in 180!
Yep, I did it! Call me crazy or crazy like a fox. These skis will replace two pair in my quiver, and I'm having a blast.
We skied the cream cheese last weekend at Northstar but these Renoun Z90's really surprised me. Light, easy to turn, and just plain fun.
By the way kept my Stocklii 107's for powder tomorrow at Powder Mountain, Utah.
Yep, @jedpeters and I will be high tailing it to ski some Utah fluff......can't wait!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, you guys are killing me with the ongoing high praise ! How to pick one Z90 ? E98 ?
( especially since you say you don't ski your VWK's anymore, which I luv too )

With Renoun, sounds like it's a case of .....

Untitled-1.jpg

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ "Locutus" not THAT's a cool name for a ski!! LMAO :hail: then again Borg would work, Vader, Yoda, The Emperor, Khan........... tons of great names to pinch! How about "Mod Squad"??? Pete, Julie and Link???? The list is endless!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, these posts make me suddenly almost feverish, like maybe "gotta have these skis" feverish.

The Z90 will replace both the Stockli AX and the SR95 (skis I've been carefully planning to demo, at last)?
And the Endurance 98 will replace both the Enforcer 100 and the V-Werks Katana (a favorite powder/chop ski that makes me go, "Thank God I found these skis)?"

And there are at least four choices here, the Z77/90 and the Endurance 98/104?

How to decide which ski to get, a Z or an Endurance? If the Endurance 98 will replace the VWerks Katana (God forbid), what on earth will the 104 do? Yikes! :yahoo:

I've got to sift back through the Pugski reviews I had so casually read bit by bit w/o it really sinking in how good these skis are:

In what thread(s) can I find the best comparison of the two lines, at least the Z90 and the Endurance 98, to have some basis for how to choose? (taking one small step at a time.)

From what I'm reading, Bode Miller invested in promoting the wrong ski company! It sounds like a pair of custom race Renouns might be just what the guy needs for his comeback.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Every once in a while, a ski gets under my skin that is so good and so different that it separates itself from the pack. Skis that not only I think are special but so do others with discerning tastes. These are skis that have changed everything. Skis that when you put them in the rack at the lodge, you walk away, look back at them, and think "I'm not that hungry, let's take another couple of runs." Skis that I don’t have to ski, but that I want to ski. Skis that make even the most marginal conditions skiable.
[snip]

That whole piece was really well written, Phil

Last edited:

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Man, these posts make me suddenly almost feverish, like maybe "gotta have these skis" feverish.

The Z90 will replace both the Stockli AX and the SR95 (skis I've been carefully planning to demo, at last)?
And the Endurance 98 will replace both the Enforcer 100 and the V-Werks Katana (a favorite powder/chop ski that makes me go, "Thank God I found these skis)?"

And there are at least four choices here, the Z77/90 and the Endurance 98/104?

How to decide which ski to get, a Z or an Endurance? If the Endurance 98 will replace the VWerks Katana (God forbid), what on earth will the 104 do? Yikes! :yahoo:

I've got to sift back through the Pugski reviews I had so casually read bit by bit w/o it really sinking in how good these skis are:

In what thread(s) can I find the best comparison of the two lines, at least the Z90 and the Endurance 98, to have some basis for how to choose? (taking one small step at a time.)

From what I'm reading, Bode Miller invested in promoting the wrong ski company! It sounds like a pair of custom race Renouns might be just what the guy needs for his comeback.

The Z90 is the best all mountain ski I've ever been on. I've said it before. Groomers, fluff, chop, steeps, slow, skidding, playing, charging...they are the best I've ever been on.

I've now been in literally every type of snow condition on them. They are good in all of them.

For what it's worth, I'm not as hot on the endurance 98. IMHO the stockli 107 is a better ski in that vein. I was just "meh" with the 98.

I think I wrote about the endurance 98 in that thread. If you aren't a "precise" type skier, the 98 may be for you....it reminded me of a Rossi soul 7 with HDT. Which, while the most popular ski in the world, doesn't blow my skirt up.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Feel free to unload your cast-offs on me.

Sponsor

Staff online