• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
anomimage.pl

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Reno NV
206 AM PST Mon Jan 29 2018

One thing to note in the models this morning is now the agreement
even in the ensembles of the building ridge NOT phasing with the
high latitude ridge near the Bering Sea in 5-7 days. This is an
important development, and not a good one for snow lovers. The ridge
is building in response to the strong MJO and thus is tied to it.
The position of the strong MJO for the next 10 days strongly favors
a ridge near the west coast and very warm conditions. In contrast, a
phased ridge would have had its axis further west with cooler temps,
although still dry. It also would have been more susceptible to
undercutting beyond 10 days. The forecast pattern now is very stable
with dry and warm conditions for at least the middle of February,
and likely beyond. Maybe there is hope toward the end of February? X

Thanks @SSSdave for grim Tahoe snow news.
Confirms my suspicions. BA says about the same.
RRR ridge returns.

I'm now so bummed out I don't know what to do ? PNW,Canada, maybe Mammoth ?
Sensing that Utah and Colorado won't be any better.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Thanks SSS Dave for grim Tahoe snow news.

Big Sky?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thanks @SSSdave for grim Tahoe snow news.
RRR ridge returns.

Well you might do what I did this morning. At https://www.onthesnow.com/skireport.html are the best sources of information for finding which resorts have the best conditions. I especially like the graphs one gets at specific resort pages. Select Resort...Washington
Then select Crystal Mountain that opens up that resort's page. Scroll down to the graph for Snowfall History
Do that for any resort of interest to understand where not only the deepest bases are but also where most recent fresher snows are.
And yeah I thought about driving up to Bend but then thought I ought to get a few more days in about Tahoe since the current snow will still be ok each day after early morning skiers dig up what is just a bit underneath, at least on north facing slopes.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's my current b$%*h....

On my OpenSnow watch list, why is the ONLY place NOT getting any snow the one place I'm headed?

upload_2018-1-31_14-10-24.png

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Buck up cupcakes... it's going to be rain around here for the next several days.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
An unexpected bonus of a dry season. A run at my home mountain that usually has a terrain park on it has been just another normal run so far this season, as the snowmaking toys have all been employed blowing snow on the rest of the runs so they could also be opened up. However, last week I noticed they were building jumps on another terrain-park run that still hasn't been opened yet.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
Stick a fork in the four corner resorts. With another week of dry weather on deck, they are done.
Wave the white flag. Better luck next year.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This kind of works out for me because I find myself needing to travel for family, but my husband reported some pretty unfortunate conditions in Breck. He said I shouldn't even worry about the snow coming Saturday, as it would not be nearly enough to make the terrain fun.

Dunno if it's true, but it makes it easier for me to stay home and pack for my trip.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This kind of works out for me because I find myself needing to travel for family, but my husband reported some pretty unfortunate conditions in Breck. He said I shouldn't even worry about the snow coming Saturday, as it would not be nearly enough to make the terrain fun.

Dunno if it's true, but it makes it easier for me to stay home and pack for my trip.

Off piste is a no go from what I saw the other day. Back to groomers only for now. The wind has just been relentless. I will be skiing again this weekend so will report back from Beaver Creek.

TS
Michael R.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
It was cloudy, windy, and foggy at snowbird today. But no actual snow. Closest thing to snow was rime forming on the upper half of the mountain.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Off piste is a no go from what I saw the other day. Back to groomers only for now. The wind has just been relentless. I will be skiing again this weekend so will report back from Beaver Creek.

I have just been assuming Vail and BC would be pointless, though to be fair I rarely ski there in the first place.

While I'm in Utah, my aunt wondered if I'd like to ski Deer Valley one day between family obligations. I decided against - my husband would have to collect all my gear from the condo (high probability of error), and the only thing saving Deer Valley is the snow making.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have just been assuming Vail and BC would be pointless, though to be fair I rarely ski there in the first place.

While I'm in Utah, my aunt wondered if I'd like to ski Deer Valley one day between family obligations. I decided against - my husband would have to collect all my gear from the condo (high probability of error), and the only thing saving Deer Valley is the snow making.

Im only here to see some family that is visiting from other states. Definitely not worth the drive over here just to ski.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Rain, sleet, ice and chucks of ice falling off the pine trees. Yep, that makes great skiing. Temps in 40s for a week. Bye Wisconsin snow.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One run closed at Whitetail today, and looking at the webcams, several others are looking patchy. It's going to be 77 degrees tomorrow in the middle of February!! Where did winter go?!?!

And it may not get cold enough to make snow again for the rest of the season... **pretend there are several angry emoticons here**

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
One run closed at Whitetail today, and looking at the webcams, several others are looking patchy. It's going to be 77 degrees tomorrow in the middle of February!! Where did winter go?!?!

And it may not get cold enough to make snow again for the rest of the season... **pretend there are several angry emoticons here**

Winter is finally here out west. Can't have it good on both sides of the country! That said, its super cold here today. At 0ºF skis just dont glide the same!

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Rain and fog here for the next two days, but the little hills are hanging on. Not much snow in the forecast but at least temps will drop.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Went from 100 inch base to thirty something over the past 10 days, and they moved a lot of slush around to keep it that deep. Trails are much thinner. 70s this week. Rain forecast all weekend. Even if we get cooler temps later next week we're probably done before St Pat's Day

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Went from 100 inch base to thirty something over the past 10 days, and they moved a lot of slush around to keep it that deep. Trails are much thinner. 70s this week. Rain forecast all weekend. Even if we get cooler temps later next week we're probably done before St Pat's Day

Where?

Sponsor

Staff online