• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Will it snow already?

2017-11-27.004.jpg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This isn't feeling good.

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Will be in Leadville over Christmas. Who has the best snowmaking - Vail or Breck? Cooper? THANKS! G

TS
Michael R.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Will be in Leadville over Christmas. Who has the best snowmaking - Vail or Breck? Cooper? THANKS! G

You should not have to ask yourself this :(

I think the better questions is "What ski area will be the least crowded?" Definitely Copper

apache

Booting up
Inactive
You should not have to ask yourself this :(

I think the better questions is "What ski area will be the least crowded?" Definitely Copper
Forgot about Copper! I would like to ski Vail, though. Never been there.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I said this in a recent email: Can we blame the Broncos for the weather in Colorado? :nono:

Also, starting to think about sacrifices to Ullr......:cool:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But honestly ... we do this every year. Freak out (yes, I'm freaking out a bit, mostly because I told @scott43 it would all be okay). But it's going to be fine.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Our Midwest neighborhood is bordered by a lake with lots of wildlife, and we saw large numbers of geese flying south yesterday -- a good sign I guess?

IMG_0686.JPG

2017-11-26.004.jpg

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
As Glen Plake said in his POWELL MOVEMENT podcast, there is a "ski season" and a "snow season". People expect skiing on Thanksgiving, but are done skiing in March. Where in reality the snow season is later and runs well into spring, but people are ready to start golfing by that time.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the opposite of this emoji? :yahoo:

'Cause that's what I want to post.

Maybe something like this...

Me, when it's warm and there's no snow early in the season :
crying-michael-jordan-animated-gif.gif

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As Glen Plake said in his POWELL MOVEMENT podcast, there is a "ski season" and a "snow season". People expect skiing on Thanksgiving, but are done skiing in March. Where in reality the snow season is later and runs well into spring, but people are ready to start golfing by that time.

I'd also recommend listening to his rant on the Totally Deep Backcountry Ski podcat -- http://totallydeep.libsyn.com/total...ing-podcast-16-extra-special-guest-glen-plake

Similar mentality about the goodness of skiing crappy snow.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But because a handful of places were able to blast enough snow to open for a few days last week the stats will say 17-18 season Nov 17th through June whatever.

"Snow season" is changing on us. Yes, there have been other years where November was a bust but most with decent snow making infrastructure were still able to make mid to late November skiable more often than not. Seems like November is a bust every third or fourth year post Y2K.

I've now got expectations for places around here to get beyond 50% open LATE December. A couple places never did get 100% open last season..

James

Out There
Instructor
I've never seen so many mosquitos, or bugs, in November in VT. The long cold patch to kill them completely didn't really come.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Time to wash your cars, all of them. Also start gathering sacrifices for ULRR. Now.

Sponsor

Staff online