• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In a recent post, @Muleski stated that the women on the USST were more interesting to watch these days, which I find accurate and interesting.
I'm currently watching this Facebook Life from the USST at Copper Mountain.
Its basically a video of them talking to kids who are training at Copper and asking them questions.
I found it interesting that the majority of responses from girls and guys alike, when asked the questions, "who's your favorite ski racer?"
Lindsey Vonn and Mikaela Shiffrin.
Hope this video shows up.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Yep, all kids and all parents love MS. LOVE her. In CO, in particular, or if she is racing nearby, many kids love LV. Parents are a bit more on the fence. But in person, in ski wear instead of runway garb, LV can be very appealing.

Ted is a great guy...tremendous. But he's been hurt, and it takes a hard core kid to be all about Ted.

In fact, they are ALL really good people, and they ALL tend to be really great to kids. They were all "those kids" at one point. MS was chasing autographs herself 10 years ago!

Good stuff!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend's daughter is training at Copper right now. Be interesting to hear what she has to say when she comes home.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I gotta say, I loved the comments also liked the brief introduction of Mark Engle from Truckee, Making Mullets Great Again. :roflmao:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Will be fun to watch. My daughter is more than excited. Vonn, Gut, Shiffrin and Veith.....all her favs including our Canadian women who we always cheer for as well.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We just got done watching the women's DH at Lake Louise on the NBCSports App.
Now we're watching the Men's SG Birds of Prey. There wasn't much talk about the Men during the coverage of the women's event, but they chatted quite a bit about Lindsey Vonn and her dominance over the years at Lake Louise and how strong Mikaela is skiing in the speed events.
See...the girls are more interesting.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Gender aside, it was interesting to see how each handled the changing conditions at LL as more snow fell for each successive skier. (But of course, I was watching the women!)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gender aside, it was interesting to see how each handled the changing conditions at LL as more snow fell for each successive skier. (But of course, I was watching the women!)
I was thinking the same thing.
Also, it seemed like the women were attacking the course with a lot of energy.
I loved it when Bode said that Travis Ganong looked like he needed an espresso when he started his run.
It just seemed like the guys didn't have the same kind of energy.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the most interesting girl would be the Czech dh skier, Esther Ledecka, finished 13th, who may become the first in the Olympics to compete in skiing and snowboarding.

From an article in 2016:

"It's pretty incredible what she's able to do," World Cup leader Lindsey Vonn said. "I wish I had that much athletic talent. I'm only good at skiing. I only have the one sport."

"Everybody thinks I'm crazy," Ledecka said after finishing 23rd in Saturday's [Feb 2016] downhill in La Thuile. "I know. I am crazy. But I love the way it is and I love that all the girls here are really nice to me and welcome me."
Ledecka is still snowboarding, too. She has won two World Cup races this season ['15/'16] and plans to keep going back and forth between the two sports, using her sponsorship money from snowboarding to fund her skiing career.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ns-from-snowboard-to-ski-2016feb22-story.html

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I caught that too @James. I can't imagine the energy it takes to do that!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Hard boot GS snowboarding is beautiful, one of those things I wished I learned to do young but it hadn't been invented yet. It seems alien to snowboard culture, something "other".

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Mitch is out with a torn ACL and banged up shoulder. So no Olympics for her. She says she'll be back for world cup.

Lindsay skied away from her crash, but I didn't hear anything further about her. She's OK?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Hard boot GS snowboarding is beautiful, one of those things I wished I learned to do young but it hadn't been invented yet. It seems alien to snowboard culture, something "other".

Guess it's a bit off topic, but I agree 100%. Our local ski academy produced some of the world's best when hard boot snowboard racing was more of "a thing", and wow was it fun to watch those guys. I was also fortunate to spend many days free "skiing" with a couple of really exceptional hard boot riders. When I first met one, he was riding in Lange plug boots, with the longest board I had ever seen. He would just rip, digging incredibly beautiful big trenches. Love to watch it. And, yeah, he has always pretty much dressed like a skier. Haha,

Mitch is out with a torn ACL and banged up shoulder. So no Olympics for her. She says she'll be back for world cup.
Lindsay skied away from her crash, but I didn't hear anything further about her. She's OK?

Mitch Gagnon is going to have her shoulder "rebuilt" as well. I guess that she's had a lot of separations, dislocations, and other issues with that shoulder over the years, but nothing bad enough to necessitate surgery. Sort of "playing through pain", etc. So now is an opportunity to get that right. I'm guessing both labrums, cleaning up some cartilage, etc. A lot of racers ski with shoulders that are worse than they realize, and when they do finally have the surgery they realize how much better they feel, and what they were putting up with. Also sounds like her ACL surgery should be "easy and clean". As in no other significant damage. We tend to toss out "ACL" or "Blown out knee" and it covers a lot of ground. This sounds like a good one, as odd as that may sound. For example, contrasted with Anna Veith's. Anna will likely never be fully back.

What I think will be more interesting is to see what Mitch's program will look like after she is fully rehabbed, and back ready to go. She's a very strong athlete, and if I had to bet, all will go well. I'm very curious as to whether we see a fairly drastic change to what she skis. It would not surprise me to see her transition to DH, SG, and GS. Essentially only skiing SL in the combined. It's a hunch, no more. The guess is that she might be even better, in terms of results, in speed. She is a great all-round skier.

Has to be frustrating, but she's a class act.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just saw it on a pretty bad resolution and the footage wasn’t great, but that crash looked a little strange too me. Almost like her outside collapsed? Have to look at it a bit more.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just saw it on a pretty bad resolution and the footage wasn’t great, but that crash looked a little strange too me. Almost like her outside collapsed? Have to look at it a bit more.

Yup, looked like her right knee collapsed a bit. LV says it's swollen, and I'm not sure whether she went for the MRI exam post-race or not (or if she'd even heed what it said if the results were for the worse). Needless to say, that knee didn't like that flex, and likely didn't like the twisting it did in the B-netting.

If that's the LV we're seeing right now, she's not looking overly solid for the season - at least to my eyes. I hope to be proven wrong.

James

Out There
Instructor
Her inside ski knocked out her outside ski. I guess the moment the inside ski hit the outside, left, the outside hit a little bump and was very light. Then the left foot went out, splitsville and shot into the net.

Several that I saw had problems with bumps down at the bottom.

Ar one point past the hardest turns she was .5 sec ahead of the leader. What do we make of how she lost so much time on the bottom?

Well she finished today. Nothing great, but she needs confidence. Yeah I bet she didn't want an mri. I would think after LL she'll get one.