• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Somehow I'm not surprised that Michigan is in the top 20 of fat states, and I'm not surprised that Nevada is ranked fairly low. I've seen the general eating habits of Michiganders, heck I am one, and we do like our swiss steak and potatoes smothered in gravy. I've also seen the lifestyle and eating habits of Nevadans. But then the rankings of total overweight adults, which could be from all the activity we have when we're young, then keep the same calorie intake as an adult with less activity :huh:
I was sort of surprised that Massachusetts is the leanest state, but then you do have that famous marathon.

Anyway, this is an interesting read.
2017 Fattest States

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We could also go into demographics, education levels of the population, overall weather (those areas that aren't much fun to get outside, particularly during the winter.) I will say, that when I moved from CA to OH in 1998, one of the first things I noticed was how fat everyone was. How sad to say that. But it was true.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We could also go into demographics, education levels of the population, overall weather (those areas that aren't much fun to get outside, particularly during the winter.) I will say, that when I moved from CA to OH in 1998, one of the first things I noticed was how fat everyone was. How sad to say that. But it was true.

I can totally see that.
Many of the women I know in Northern Michigan take crafting classes or some such thing. I played volleyball and skied in the winter to stay fit, but mostly because I enjoyed it.
If you sit around doing crafts, eating craft....well....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, you take education levels, income levels, and historic culture around outdoor activity, and none of it's very surprising to me.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooh. Someone got stung, eh?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Utah right behind. We are definitely an active population here. Having the fun so accessible doesn't hurt.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am surprised that NJ is 41 on the list with all the Diners and Great Pizza that's available. But like others have said with education, income levels and the availability of outdoor activities it would keep the weight down.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait, isn't it CO?
Oops you're right.
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 5.21.51 PM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another point about the midwest states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc...
Its kind of cloudy. The sun shines more in out west which inspires you to get out and do something. Cloudy skies, even if its not raining, don't inspire activity.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Utah right behind. We are definitely an active population here. Having the fun so accessible doesn't hurt.
Actually....according to the data, while UT ranks at the top in terms of not being overweight, it's lifestyle factors are not far from the bottom, which is an anomaly as for most states the factors run together.

So what might explain that? The food? Churches don't allow snacks? Huntin' and eatin' are mutually exclusive?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
there are some serious issues in North American diet and lack of exercise . It's having an impact up here as well.

In perspective we have always noticed how fat people are when we go to California or Nevada but maybe they are all tourists .

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier

Easy mistake. In school they taught me there were 50 states.

I'm always amazed that Colorado is the least obese state considering how many heavy people live here (myself very much included). When I go to other states I don't really notice a difference, and when I travel for work it is usually to a state in the top 15.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I've noticed in the past few years is the overall heath view in places like Colorado and Tahoe compared to places like South Carolina or (my home state) Michigan.
Example: A friends mom had a stroke in her late 50's in South Carolina. They rehabbed her to survive and do the necessities.
She plead with her mom to move to Tahoe to be near her, having done the research on rehab for her mom's stroke here, which is a program more focused on rehabbing to thrive. There is an assumption of expected recovery in an area where people tend to live a more active lifestyle. d

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Easy mistake. In school they taught me there were 50 states.

I'm always amazed that Colorado is the least obese state considering how many heavy people live here (myself very much included). When I go to other states I don't really notice a difference, and when I travel for work it is usually to a state in the top 15.

I'm heavy. But I can usually identify tourists at Breck, and not just because of their different clothes.

There were studies a while ago about how if you hang around with skinny people, you tend to be skinny. If you hang around fat people, you tend to be fat. It's just a normalization thing. I'm glad I'm in a state with skinny people ... although it doesn't seem to be working for me!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess one state was so fat it occupied 2 spots on the list?

Sponsor

Staff online