• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
B184C5FF-8251-4508-BE9C-8B40FF777DCF.jpeg
Our three-pack of rescue dogs: Milo (couch), Marshall (front) and Fannie Mae. I adopted Milo illegally, without meeting him first, from VIrginia Beach Animal Control.

We got Fannie Mae, a pit bull mix, from a high kill shelter in South Carolina after randomly seeing her pic on a Friday, and reading that she was a volunteer favorite who was going to be PTS that Monday. Since her shelter name was Fannie Mae, and I had started a new job at the company Fannie Mae (housing finance, not candy) a month before, I got the sense that she was supposed to be our next dog.

We accidentally got Marshall, also a tan mix from a high-kill rural SC shelter, when we drove a volunteer transport leg with 5 dogs an hour up I-95 to help them get to rescues, fosters or pre-approved forever homes up north.

Fannie Mae was supposed to come up that weekend from SC but she had to stay back because she had sarcoptic mange and couldn’t travel across state lines or be around other dogs.

Marshall was on his way to a rescue dog sanctuary / farm in Northeast PA where he would likely soon get a forever home with a Philadelphia-area family. He wasn’t even supposed to be in our vehicle. Two weeks later we drove to PA to bring him home with us.

Marshall is what’s known as a “transport failure,” which rarely happens since the transportees are already spoken for and safe when leaving the SC rescue. If they weren’t spoken for, most of us who do weekend transport volunteering would have 5 dogs and be up to our ears in fines after getting code violation nastygrams from our HOAs.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 36199 Our three-pack of rescue dogs: Milo (couch), Marshall (front) and Fannie Mae. ....

We accidentally got Marshall, also a tan mix from a high-kill rural SC shelter, when we drove a volunteer transport leg with 5 dogs an hour up I-95 to help them get to rescues, fosters or pre-approved forever homes up north.

hahah,

I try and do rescue which is rewarding but especially handy when one wants to add to their pack. That's how I managed to persuade my better half into keeping a pooch or two ..or 4 over the years.

in fact, this spring may be a good time to consider adding to our current two. Mean eldest daughter for whatever reason felt it ok to take her Husky Hocki to Wisconsin ..... so our younger rescue boy could use a playmate with some long lasting energy.

Otherwise he just naps a lot with our 13+yr old r/w rescue ...

Roxy and Bill.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"Gee, I wonder who dropped that ball on the recliner?"

Loki likes to skin tennis balls. It's a little creepy.

20180202_182855.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online