• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meet Samson von Northstar. He is a 3 yr. old Saint we rescued yesterday. Some of you may remember we lost our Saint of 10-1/2 yrs this past spring. We were holding off but this just kind of fell into place. He is a big lovey baby just like his predecessor Wolfgang von Rockstar.
View media item 1947View media item 1946View media item 1945

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meet Samson von Northstar. He is a 3 yr. old Saint we rescued yesterday. Some of you may remember we lost our Saint of 10-1/2 yrs this past spring. We were holding off but this just kind of fell into place. He is a big lovey baby just like his predecessor Wolfgang von Rockstar.
View media item 1947View media item 1946View media item 1945

St. Bernard’s are such cool dogs......When at Killington, we stay at the Summit Inn...under long time Billy Bauer ownership, they had a long history of Saints. Always enjoyed seeing them roaming the property.

We still stay at Summit under new owners......no Saints, but still a nice convenient stay while skiing the Beast.

Have a great winter!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@PisteOff I've wondered about getting a giant dog breed like a St Bernard. How much exercise do they want? I'm constantly guilty because my dogs are basically weekend warriors, except not every weekend. The winter is probably best because, on weekends, they have to get walked (condo life), and I usually have time to take them to the Breck dog park after skiing. (I can't deal with dog parks unless the old effluvia is covered in snow.)

I've heard that a giant breed like that doesn't actually need all that much exercise, but is that correct?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PisteOff I've wondered about getting a giant dog breed like a St Bernard. How much exercise do they want? I'm constantly guilty because my dogs are basically weekend warriors, except not every weekend. The winter is probably best because, on weekends, they have to get walked (condo life), and I usually have time to take them to the Breck dog park after skiing. (I can't deal with dog parks unless the old effluvia is covered in snow.)

I've heard that a giant breed like that doesn't actually need all that much exercise, but is that correct?

Some are more active than others. Wolfgang was a very active Saint. Even in his final months he wanted to play and jump and run. His hips were so bad and he masked a lot of pain but that dog would jump around like a puppy when I came through the door. Samson so far is more mellow, but Samson was fixed where Wolfgang was not. They both like lots of walks but will lose interest and head for home. So far Samson prefers the house but he's only been here 24 hrs now so we'll see how he does in time after he gets comfortable. They like to follow you around the house. They are extremely attached to their people. Very affectionate and loyal. Be prepared to give them a lot of your time and affection. They can be a little stubborn but for the most part are very obedient. They do need exercise but they don't have to be run like some breeds. You can manage their weight easy enough with diet. We have a run out behind the house but they both usually just walk around sniffing stuff. Wolfgang liked to play tug of war and was a competent opponent. I'm not there with Samson yet. We're just teaching him what toys are etc. Back to your original question, a couple short walks a day is sufficient. If you're a single working doggy parent for a Saint you should hire someone to come daily about mid-way through your shift to get him out for potty and a walk. We've always had someone available to do that for Wolfgang if we we're gone all day. Leaving them for 8-10 hrs. is ok but after that you really can't be upset with what could happen. It keeps them calm, pottied, exercised, socialized, etc. You will want to train a giant. If you don't possess the skill yourself you will want to have it professionally done. You simply can't have a 150 to 200 lb dog that doesn't obey you. A St. Bernard lives for your affection and they are very easy to train. They can be a bit stubborn, but they are very obedient and easily trained. Samson knows some basic commands. Suzanne and I will work with him and further his training. He's good on a leash but isn't leash trained. His down command needs further training and there are other things we will want him to do on command.

Hope this helps. Always happy to answer any questions.

Jeff

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Some are more active than others. Wolfgang was a very active Saint. Even in his final months he wanted to play and jump and run. His hips were so bad and he masked a lot of pain but that dog would jump around like a puppy when I came through the door. Samson so far is more mellow, but Samson was fixed where Wolfgang was not. They both like lots of walks but will lose interest and head for home. So far Samson prefers the house but he's only been here 24 hrs now so we'll see how he does in time after he gets comfortable. They like to follow you around the house. They are extremely attached to their people. Very affectionate and loyal. Be prepared to give them a lot of your time and affection. They can be a little stubborn but for the most part are very obedient. They do need exercise but they don't have to be run like some breeds. You can manage their weight easy enough with diet. We have a run out behind the house but they both usually just walk around sniffing stuff. Wolfgang liked to play tug of war and was a competent opponent. I'm not there with Samson yet. We're just teaching him what toys are etc. Back to your original question, a couple short walks a day is sufficient. If you're a single working doggy parent for a Saint you should hire someone to come daily about mid-way through your shift to get him out for potty and a walk. We've always had someone available to do that for Wolfgang if we we're gone all day. Leaving them for 8-10 hrs. is ok but after that you really can't be upset with what could happen. It keeps them calm, pottied, exercised, socialized, etc. You will want to train a giant. If you don't possess the skill yourself you will want to have it professionally done. You simply can't have a 150 to 200 lb dog that doesn't obey you. A St. Bernard lives for your affection and they are very easy to train. They can be a bit stubborn, but they are very obedient and easily trained. Samson knows some basic commands. Suzanne and I will work with him and further his training. He's good on a leash but isn't leash trained. His down command needs further training and there are other things we will want him to do on command.

Hope this helps. Always happy to answer any questions.

Jeff

Thanks! I have no immediate need for another canine in my life - in fact, not sure if we'll have more dogs after these, at least immediately - but it does sound like they are less high maintenance in terms of exercise. Loki is an unknown mix, but he acts like a herder. Until he was 3 years old, indefatigable. Not a good match for our lifestyle, in retrospect.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
And then there was my dog........
Anyone who met her usually had a reason to remember her.
An intelligent, curious, easily bored Malamute is force unto itself.
As close to a wolf as you would want to have around.
Nikki on Ice 3.JPG

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Puppy scores
hunter1.jpg
I am up 3 Alieve and two beers, Elly is sprawled on the floor. I am a tired pup.

Attachments

• hunter2.jpg
    hunter2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 19

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Running joke on a different forum that I used the pics on. I did the dogs to protect her identity to.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
nomailpotter.jpg

I have no idea how he got a owl. He is old and takes as much glucosimine as I do to get around.

Attachments

• nomailpotter.jpg
    nomailpotter.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Sponsor