• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Never been but from my extensive experience of ski towns - town always beats on hill for all the other stuff outside skiing and you feel less "captive" and a bit more "real".

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Telluride was my first trip out West (back in 1986) and it holds a super-special place in my heart. It is one of the best places for lower intermediates as the runs off of Lift 10 are long and have just about ideal slope pitch for those still working on their turns.

Since you said you'll probably be sticking mostly to groomers, here is a list that I would recommend:

Short and Sweet:
  1. Misty Maiden
  2. Polar Queen
  3. Butterfly
  4. Magnolia
Long Blues:
  1. Sundance
  2. See Forever (one of the greatest family runs anywhere...a moderately pitched intermediate that the whole family can enjoy from the very top of the mountain)
Steep and Long:
  1. Lookout
  2. Plunge*
  3. Bushwacker*
*ranks right up there with the best steep groomers anywhere

Last point: the scenery is great from everywhere on the mountain, but definitely better from in town (a box canyon that makes you feel like you are in the Alps).

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
and thanks again. I was posting last post as others posted. Fwiw Im not even getting a car. Will arrange transport from Montrose airport to tell. Just don't (from what is said by just about everyone everywhere) don't need a car. car seems to be more trouble than its worth. If I stay in MV it will be in the village core and again this way we can walk to everything.

Out of curiosity, how exactly do you plan on getting from the airport to the mountain?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Out of curiosity, how exactly do you plan on getting from the airport to the mountain?
Don't want to speak for Goose, but there were shuttles from Montrose to Telluride with every flight. We had a full-size van drive us there and back..wasn't that expensive. I think there are basically 3 flights into Montrose daily so it was easy to schedule the pick-ups! :)

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
yea, I inquired and there are different services I can use. I am mor concerned now about Altitude. As I read up on it, it seems very many end up with issues and while most are not severe a high enough number do get it bad enough to a real damper on the expensive vacation.

I am considering first staying in Montrose which (similar to Denver) is between 5to6 thousand feet. maybe do this after landing and then move up the 4 thou or so toTell the next day since we wont be skiing till the second "free" day we have anyway.
I figured the first day was about checing in and all. And then day 2 (first real free day) not to ski so as to acclimate without much exertion and we can also get familiar with everything too. But maybe since I am doing it this way it might pay to first stay in Montrose and then move up to Tell and check in on that second day. Just for sake of acclimating in two steps instead of going from sea level to 9though in one trip.

But the draw back to this is that one can still get some sickness going from 5 thou to 9 thousand too. And so I may do this plan and find one or more of us get sick anyway and now it will be day 3. That would be just as much if not more a bummer.

Sorry to sound so negative but we don't have a whole lot of time (not a full week). Hope to ski 3 of the 4 free days we have. But I am worried as the more I read about it and to know that it does affect a fairly high percentage of travelers. That is not so easily settling with me. I been waiting so long (years) to finally be able (time wise) get the chance to get the fam out west and it would be terrible if something like this ruins things for us.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
My wife is not in shape and she has no problems going from 3000 to 12000. Don't worry about it. Instead, prepare wisely and have B and C plans. Staying first night in Montrose is a good idea. Leave early and catch first chair, its a short 2 hourish drive IIRC. Talk to your Doc and bring Diamox. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Look into diamox.
Ooop...Snowfan beat me to it.

We actually started diamox in Toronto before we flew out, a few days ahead. Some weird side effects but nothing too terrible. We were worried about altitude as well..hate to throw it away and have to go to lower elevation.

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
...and if you stay in Montrose, check out the Cedaredge Lodge. Very cool place and priced right. Nice rooms with kitchens and decorated with western themes. The owners are on-site and their senior black Lab works the front desk...
V55BIr7k4QNlWBfwqMwV2BpdJmeyJ0Rt09nlhVumTGkFaYfzrCLX85QoVbTON9yBLFQzF242rSCKfUDxxwJ_x2WxKuQ4_2U3AblaYWrQnKak6YqT6vfBfsvuFJ0FkQ_ZBbId_F1ZDilk8lJlXO-bDLxahP3cpmbGG-uzHIzGtXe-6848QFUJCO3TJugmeenpvrsbl6QppL97tTegWsOC7BayvCDhX2qtoE6BslS2mnC5BveL0FJb0siA7z0W9zgsHVYoaTlogMxnyB67pkdf0ElbB1PGTxyJpSvPoHUzka3PyyOHAMtj89mensTJLFAlVa3vssPVYzZEMmHcSnKkHm-ncTdFdprxR_RJVUOqZlxrQNy-U5jetmN7vML7r4CyqEkt55AU7aNkaB2gRaMdvLTokOjt-nOQffQDU32ZeSWeKghGz2N0y-h2zUMoWkJfOtRmAZK67gMDnkRAja_W10XTFG0-aMV6PqCwCL7ALr6ZaglSDyDFn75F9rLqgzCQzBje27tjdS6y4qoKhKfd2u3b3rzcsjEfr7X5FIRvWZitP3KqHaJDj3z4r9S_IrxDR70UH42afgW6wKogdEqdup6pMBKq6Kb-UPR2jvjk8A=w1672-h940-no

rP9JQ4ehRvQSS0L9ZX4Lv_r_VQAmkxGlAAI3VySbLLYNHSV9pAmXBe5hWk6-J10gOJhu18VU1qugVy1LKs-wR3O8wPovjcH3ns6_CDbxzBOCDBXemHNqNQ4RmlMhFpWwowB7UC3VxSgpt4oGmm8Za9VPu9F9oyLizHU8e4EGHCko3mBe8MBTQg35YnOhE_elGOlL3mVG2Vxh6m27W7sygbzxNsXws7CyoeYDzbaJWejHA3Ee3IUSn84XSpksVDTrPwd2cry3eEjmC93GOt0oObekieQyzkWJeaDdbrMoSn8xZxpjOML9sgFYDvimARSzXyBuUU0tSv98fvYznN9fN2b4BhtPvhjD1Ugz7v2Hh0sNcfUgtP6TfmMLIXR4iZ9yUAcr8Y-dPyqIUsoxJjXZsa9fpIfQRERktToExrmsz6QD6zBHqPBlcCuKhu4UPokKYF5YMUE-hQCcI3x3O_o-Eu2eP6zfQcPkV3hctx7QBZR6UIGv0868jvZvog_wpPZAcFEZdGsszXqyAtiwYgIZwPRYQ6suCCmcb71ss56YX8z2cHQqE21VUoxHo5IPW6JDwayKP2yaZOH-EVKqp-_Wm9ubCaogYFLxYYDkLZbKjq6j1AUWXaDi=w1672-h940-no

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Steep and Long:
  1. Lookout
  2. Plunge*
  3. Bushwacker*
*ranks right up there with the best steep groomers anywhere

While these are fun steep groomers, you left out Milk Run, which I think is THE best steep groomer anywhere :)

Really though, pick up a groomed run report (or download it to your phone), because "groomed today" makes the biggest difference.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have only been to Telluride once. Honestly the Mountain Village looked really nice but IMHO unless I was traveling with a big family group and needed a big place to stay I would much rather stay in town. It is just awesome and getting on the hill quite easy and convenient. The higher elevation of MV is definitely noticeable and most likely bothersome for the first few days. Ski High, sleep low. Also staying in town really offers a unique experience compared to all other Colorado resorts. The box canyon is really a sight to behold and the views all around the area are just the most amazing in all of Colorado. Starting from Ridgway to the Dallas Divide and beyond Telluride. Just wow.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
you left out Milk Run, which I think is THE best steep groomer anywhere

Really?!? My information regarding Telluride might be a little dated then. I still think of Milk Run as a steep mogul-fest known as Woozley's Way. (Not sure when, but the name was changed to Milk Run, then they added a new run off of Lift 6 and named it...Woozley's Way.)

Really though, pick up a groomed run report

I wholeheartedly agree with this advice.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My humble advice is to not overthink the altitude issue. There are many threads and advice available on how to deal with it.

Many altitude sickness headaches are actually caused by dehydration. In addition to not noticing that you are sweating in a dry, cold climate, each breath you take sucks water out of your body and you can dehydrate easily, especially while you are panting going up the stairs!

Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. More than you think. If you get thirsty, you haven't drunk enough. Especially while you're skiing. Take a pack with some water bottles. Or buy those cheap, plastic water bottles that you can crush down as you drink. They will fit in a pocket.

water, water, water.

We live at nearly 8,000 feet and ski and hike higher and we have seen lots of friends and family come and go. Those who got hit hard by the altitude were always the ones that didn't heed that advice. If you have honestly been hydrating and still develop symptoms of nausea and bad headache, then get to lower altitude. (In 20 years we have never had any visitors from babies to grannies need to do that.)

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really?!? My information regarding Telluride might be a little dated then. I still think of Milk Run as a steep mogul-fest known as Woozley's Way. (Not sure when, but the name was changed to Milk Run, then they added a new run off of Lift 6 and named it...Woozley's Way.)

According to skimap.org, they renamed it from Woozley's Way to Milk Run between 1989 and 1990... you should visit Telluride more often! It wouldn't surprise me if they let it mogul up still between grooming runs, but my past few trips to T-Ride have been timed right to enjoy it freshly groomed, and one year they were running some sort of race on it. Definitely well worth a try if you time it right.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
We were in Telluride this year - last two weeks of February. We stayed in the Columbia Hotel which is right alongside the gondola in town.

We'd love to go back and would stay in town (v's the Mountain Village) every time. If we were a family, and were cooking dinners in-house, I could see us staying in the Village, but we were out on the town each night. If we were going back - and I hope we do one day - we'd stay at Columbia again. It was perfect.

5:00-6:00 = happy hour = half price Cosmopolitans in the bar

I will admit to a little headache behind the eyes for the first few days. It might have been the altitude ... then again, it may have been self-imposed.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've stayed at the Columbia. Beautiful. Can't get more convenient. Practically ski in/out. And they have suites with kitchens. Pricey though.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've looked into that Columbia and strongly considered it but honestly its pricy for a hotel room. And if imo you want a bit more room and comfort for a family of 4 (whos kids are no longer children but are grown and basically 4 adults) then even a small tight condo would seem the much better fit.

That aside I think I am now deciding on the town. One reason is cost especially since the place in the village which had a sale no longer has that..lol.
The other reason is altitude. I am just too concerned with this. I know its only about 800 feet difference from town vs village. But none the less according to charts has (although small) a touch higher available percentage to breathe. Of course its always 21% per unit of air but available percentage to breathe drops a tad from 8000 to 9000.

Think I will stay in Montrose at 5500 first day, sleep there and then head to Telluride next day. Though (as said earlier) Id hate to see one of us having any issue the next morning in Montrose because then we wouldn't be able to continue up since that's the last thing you should do if symptoms arise. So while it seems smart to stay in Montrose it could sort of backfire and keep us there an extra day more than the one. Kind of a catch-22 in a way.

I know it sounds like Im crazily worrying too much but honestly its an expensive trip and a once in many years trip (may be never again, who knows) and so would suck for anyone of us to not be well and that can ruin things. So Im trying to give ourselves the best chance to be well. Im figuring staying in Montrose one day/night could help and also staying in town (800 feet lower sleeping vs village) are both things that would increase our chances.

Or LOL it could simply be that someone or two would get sick regardless of these things I would do to help in which case none of it matters anyway. So its kind of driving me nutzy cookoo.

Also , what about pre-shipping our ski equipment? Not having to tote equipment I think is a nice thing.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
My humble advice is to not overthink the altitude issue. There are many threads and advice available on how to deal with it.

Many altitude sickness headaches are actually caused by dehydration. In addition to not noticing that you are sweating in a dry, cold climate, each breath you take sucks water out of your body and you can dehydrate easily, especially while you are panting going up the stairs!

Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. More than you think. If you get thirsty, you haven't drunk enough. Especially while you're skiing. Take a pack with some water bottles. Or buy those cheap, plastic water bottles that you can crush down as you drink. They will fit in a pocket.

water, water, water.

We live at nearly 8,000 feet and ski and hike higher and we have seen lots of friends and family come and go. Those who got hit hard by the altitude were always the ones that didn't heed that advice. If you have honestly been hydrating and still develop symptoms of nausea and bad headache, then get to lower altitude. (In 20 years we have never had any visitors from babies to grannies need to do that.)
Hydration (from what Ive learned) doesn't prevent altitude sickness at all but what it does is prevent headaches and other things associated with being dehydrated which can mimic altitude symptoms and/or also make you feel even worse if you do get it. So while its highly recommended, it doesn't prevent it but only prevents its own problems and prevents them from adding to any altitude sickness. Very important for sure and a must do but not for the same reasons people actually think.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
According to the experts, spending your first night in Montrose is a good thing and should help you acclimate.

I have never pre shipped my gear though it can be a PITA schlepping all that crap through airports.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Goose, Staying in town sounds like a good choice for your family. Once you're done skiing for the day you can either take the Gondola down and walk home, or you can ski down if your lodging is within walking range. To do this though it truly will be beneficial to store your boots and skis in the big locker room at the base. It's downstairs. Has bathrooms as well. Very close to the slopes!! I highly recommend it.

All this talk of Telluride has me jonesin' to get back there sooner than later.