• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tell me about Billy Goats

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
I'm looking for my next Daily Driver. I had Soul7 188's in the past, and I liked them but I felt they were a little too soft for my liking to purchase them again.

Considering Cochise, Bodacious, Wailer, and the Billy Goat as well. I thought it might be a little too wide underfoot (116) for use on the hardpack, but all the reviews I've read say it does very well.

Would like to hear from anyone who's tried out a few of these.

@Philpug

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I demoed the on3p Billy Goat two years ago and the year before. The first time, in soft snow (day of 3" fresh) I loved it, both early and late after things got skied off. I liked it in crud bumps, groomers, in the trees, in powder (what there was of it) and chop/crud. The RES (reverse elliptical shape up front) is unusual, but not as noticeable in soft. It was quick, responsive, short or long turns. On groomers it was a bit different (because of the RES) but good.

The second time, it was late on an old snow day, same area, Loveland. It did not do well on old snow out on the open slopes. I got off it fast, for those conditions. For soft snow, I'd still like it a lot. But not as a one ski quiver.

TS
Michael R.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
I demoed the on3p Billy Goat two years ago and the year before. The first time, in soft snow (day of 3" fresh) I loved it, both early and late after things got skied off. I liked it in crud bumps, groomers, in the trees, in powder (what there was of it) and chop/crud. The RES (reverse elliptical shape up front) is unusual, but not as noticeable in soft. It was quick, responsive, short or long turns. On groomers it was a bit different (because of the RES) but good.

The second time, it was late on an old snow day, same area, Loveland. It did not do well on old snow out on the open slopes. I got off it fast, for those conditions. For soft snow, I'd still like it a lot. But not as a one ski quiver.

Interesting. This is the first bad thing I've heard anyone say about the BG's. What year did that model come out? Want to compare specs.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've demo'd the BGs a few times at Loveland. I can sort of echo what ski otter says. For me, they are one of the most intuitive, fun and able skis in anything soft / deep / crud. But they would never be my daily driver in CO unless I had a 90mm ski I was happy to ski on a lot. They do not rail hardpack like some other bigger skis can. (I felt the bibby to be better on hardpack for instance.) I would take a Cochise or Wailer 106 in-low tide conditions over BGs any day -- but they are both 1cm narrower at the waist.

Really, I think the BG is an awesome ski. When my bibby's die they will likely be their replacement. But the BG to me is a quiver ski, not a standalone like the Cochise or Wailer.

(And I hang around a lot at TGR where BGs are revered.)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting. This is the first bad thing I've heard anyone say about the BG's. What year did that model come out? Want to compare specs.

Old snow, afternoon, skied off, unpredictably icy around the turns here and there. The BG not so much. (Two different years, different lengths: second time was on 186s (probably 15/16). First time was whatever size was closest to that. This is a usual soft snow length for me.)

The BGs would probably have been fine the morning of that same day, on the groomers at least, or exploring in the trees.

(The Katanas 112 and Pettitors 120 are fat skis that would probably have handled that late day scene a bit better, among the fat skis I've been on - but there are better tools for such conditions than all but a few fat skis, in my limited experience.)

On the other hand, in both crud and powder, great float and feel to the BG. Way better than the Cochise, for example, to me, in Powder/chop. And probably equal in crud/variable.

The BGs are damp and stable at speed in their element: incredible. No real speed limit, I found. You don't get tossed around.

Best skier at Copper I've seen was on BGs at even a hint of soft snow, wow. For three seasons, at least. On old snow days, he was on the BGs back in the trees, in unusual places. He also at times would straight line soft snow through very steep, gnarly or bumpy terrain on that ski, a ski that also, partly because of the RES, is incredibly quick-turning in powder trees and bumps. I am a fan; maybe favorite fat ski I've been on that I haven't owned.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S., I also own and love the Bibby. On chalky Rockies hardpack, both the Bibby and BG do well, to me; but, again, not so much for such p.m., old snow, semi-icy conditions as I described.