• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tecnica shell sizing 22.5-23.5

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I was doing some research on possibilities for my wife and noticed that if you look at the BSLs for the Tecnica line, they appear to use the same shell across two full sizes for some models (e.g. Mach1 W MV). If this is true It would seem that no one looking for a 22.5 who wants a good shell fit should be buying those models. Also, anyone looking for a 23.5 could go with a 22.5 that was on prior year closeout to save a bit and put in a different footbed?

Unrelated question: what shell size are the last widths of women's boots referenced to?

TS
DonC

DonC

Skier
No one? should I ask over in the main gear forum?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You're right about the same shell across 2 size models. Its only for the smallest size. I believe the liner in the 22 is shortlasted, so you'd want a different liner, footbed, etc.

I know it's rubbed some women the wrong way that they do this. Don't advertise that you're making gear that is specific for women, and then sell a "22" that is really a 23.

TS
DonC

DonC

Skier
You're right about the same shell across 2 size models. Its only for the smallest size. I believe the liner in the 22 is shortlasted, so you'd want a different liner, footbed, etc.

I know it's rubbed some women the wrong way that they do this. Don't advertise that you're making gear that is specific for women, and then sell a "22" that is really a 23.

It does seem misleading to me but I assume any competent fitter will take this into account and probably steer someone in that size to a different boot.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unrelated question: what shell size are the last widths of women's boots referenced to?

Shell size last width is usually based on the 26.0 shell.

ETA - to the extent it's helpful at all, I have the 2017 Mach 1 W LV in a 22.5 and the ball width on my right foot actually measures at 94mm (recently had my feet scanned when buying new running shoes with this thing: https://www.volumental.com/). I had to get the shell punched out for the right foot.

Last edited:

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
I think this is typical across many boots in small sizes (at least for women). My wife measured a 22.5 a few weeks ago and we had a long day of trying to find true 21.5 (shell fit on the 22.5s was not good) boots to fit her. It took several shops before we found something that fit right. All the boot fitters immediately who didn't have true 21.5s immediately said so and sent us elsewhere, so I don't think it is something to worry about unless you are buying boots on your own.

Sponsor

Staff online