• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Technical Models

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
@karlo

The attached video is a presentation by Harald Hard, the founder of PMTS. It's a little lengthy, but he does break down in detail the entire technical and teaching philosophy of his system. It is not just a video of someone skiing, but specific examples of technique broken down by cause and effect. I believe it answers your question, spread over several threads, of exactly what a technical model is, and how to implement it. Whether or not you like the PMTS model, the presentation leaves you in no doubt as to what to expect. If you were planning to achieve a high level of skiing, and looking for a "Technical Model" to follow, this is the kind of information you need to make an informed choice.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@karlo ,

The "Elegant Skiing 1" title in that Richie Berger video is referring to the recent Austrian campaign designed to get more people to take lessons. The Austrians are trying to build excitement about lessons in the public by appealing to how they appear to onlookers.

They've used their premier skier, Richie Berger, to do the demos. I agree with you, he is presenting a "technical model" on behalf of all Austrian ski instructors. Notable fact: every turn in this video, from wedge turns to basic parallel to "skidded and carved" turns at the end, involves a deliberate, decisive up-move at initiation.

He's done a second video, "Elegant Skiing 2," that has a progression for learning arc-to-arc carved turns. Again there is a deliberate up move at initiation. He has some very interesting boot drills for those short radius turns (around 7-8 minutes). Those drills reveal the level of muscular ski rotation going on (high). When the video gets to short radius turns, Berger addresses counter, and demonstrates his flex-to-release transition that I've admired for years.

Thanks for linking that Berger video.

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It's a little lengthy, but he does break down in detail the entire technical and teaching philosophy of his system

Really interesting content. And, now I don't feel so bad, my not fully understanding what USSA is. At least, unlike one in the audience, I know Marcel Hirscher when I see him :)

Anyway, yup, this PMTS is certainly a Model - direct to parallel, 5 key movements. I'd call it a model in the category of Model 2, of the 3 I listed. Very detailed, possibly even more so than Berger's - I mean, like, down to boot fitting? Definitely philosophically different than Berger's. Very nice contrast.

It is really long, more than an hour, explaining the system. So the student stakeholder better have a keen interest in understanding it. I love the end, the 80 year old instructor, and mention of HH's 92 year father still skiing. It not only ties really well with the goal of skiing efficiently, but it's also endearing and inspirational.

He's (Berger) done a second video, "Elegant Skiing 2,"

Going to it now. Thanks. Didn't know Austrians need ski schools. With the Japanese lady, I assumed the video was made to target the Asian clientele. :)

Edit: Just watched it. Elegant Skiing 2 is fun to watch. Interesting production. Starts slow in episode 1, then ramps to a rousing climax in Episode 2. Very savvy marketing material. You come away convinced you'll ski like Berger. Of course, the vast majority of us won't :)

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Richie Berger was/is indeed big in Japan. The woman in the vid is also in the older demo team colors, so I'm guessing she is as well. She ( and several of the top Japanese women 'demo' skiers) skis very well. This is an old video.

Last edited:

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the Elegant Skiing videos featuring Richard Berger were made by the Japanese Skiing magazine Ski Journal. Look at his skis and boots, they are over 10 years old. This is a clip from the original version

They are nothing to do with what the Austrian Ski School Association terms “Schönskifahren” (elegant skiing)

The Austrians updated their teaching manual in 2015 and as of this season it is mandatory that all ski schools in Austria teach “elegant skiing” in accordance with the new version.
Didn't know Austrians need ski schools

They don’t, ski schools are for tourists, the idea that you can learn to ski by taking lessons at a ski school is ludicrous.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
elegant is such a far reaching kind of meaningless term......I d rather watch berger.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
the idea that you can learn to ski by taking lessons at a ski school is ludicrous.

Hmmmm. That's sort of a well past page 4 statement. How many skiers that we admire do you suppose have never had a lesson or coaching?

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Berger discusses his career in this interview http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/richie-berger-interview-in-solden_90962 like many skiers born in the Alps he started skiing as child with his parents, joined a local skiing club and raced. He will have been trained, but not by a ski instructor at a ski school.

When his racing career came to an end he went to the ski instructor academy at St. Christoph am Arlberg where he learnt how to teach skiing in accordance with the Austrian teaching manual of the day, what we call “schulefahren” ski school skiing.

There isn’t much information on the latest Austrian teaching plan in English, but I think should be clear from these 3 articles that’s it’s aimed at tourists, either from the non-mountainous parts of Austria or from abroad.

http://www.snowsportaustria.at/en/teaching-procedure/ski/

http://www.dpa-international.com/to...e-alpine-ski-schools-austria-161116-99-204439

https://mogasi.com/magazin/en/2017/...onal-change-was-also-placed-where-it-belongs/

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
They don’t, ski schools are for tourists, the idea that you can learn to ski by taking lessons at a ski school is ludicrous.
First, I did chuckle at your statement :) .
I agree that most Ski School is designed to accommodate tourists but to say that you can't learn to ski by taking lessons is total B.S.!
I have personally taught thousands of people to ski & at least a few of them learned more than how to ride the lift :huh:.

Sponsor

Staff online