• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Analogies not for teaching however that are quantifiable where pumping or moving the CoM at the right time will increase speed. This concept as mentioned can easily be applied to skiing or riding.

Longboard side to side movement, at 1:29, the boarder is pumping to overtake a bicycle rider.

Shiffrin at 1:49 pumping up and down to move around the pump track while hardly pedaling the chain.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great video. Some of the turns the racer makes illustrate the slingshot effect or feeling I am referring to.

I don't know. The term slingshot sounds a bit brutal.

I would like to describe it more as float. Leg retraction coincides with the ski rebound in rate, intensity, direction and timing allows me to experience the best float. There is no apparent up push from the skis felt by the legs. A truly weightless sensation for me - float.
I know my timing is dead on when I also experience a sense of time dilation through the float prior to the engagement of the edges for the next turn.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Asking the first timers..."What other activities do you do?"
Dance---always on the balls of your feet.
Tennis---ditto. "What did your coach yell at you about being back on your heels?"
Basketball---ditto
Now...skiing---ditto

Sometimes we need to use opposites. "What other activities?" "Horseback riding."
The only thing I know about horses is that one end bites and the other end is good for the garden.
But, I did watch cowboy movies when I was a cute little kid.
"Here we need to do the opposite. To stop a horse you put your feet forward and lean back pulling on the reins, right? Here we want to do the opposite. Lean forward. Get over your toes. Engage the ski tips into the snow."

Give them things they can see, not things they're supposed to feel. "Move your whole body forward and twist to the left (for a right turn) so your zipper pull is over the brand name of the left ski." (They never move as far as they think they're moving; most of us don't, either.)

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That all depends on how the student learns; watcher, thinker, doer, feeler, etc. Or the combination that they prefer. There are a multitude of different ways people learn. A good instructor knows them; a great instructor adapts how he is teaching to how the student learns.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That all depends on how the student learns; watcher, thinker, doer, feeler, etc. Or the combination that they prefer. There are a multitude of different ways people learn. A good instructor knows them; a great instructor adapts how he is teaching to how the student learns.
Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner!

Well said.

:beercheer:

TS
john petersen

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
yeah, T-square....good, simple and to the point. bingo!

I have found (and read about) that we use each and every learning style but have preferences whether we realize it or are cognizant of it or not. thats why knowledgeable instructors, or intuitive ones, address many of them throughout the lesson....

JP

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I know that this meme has been around a long time, but it has been shown to be not valid. While there is some truth in how different people learn in different ways, most learn in mostly the same ways. They may express it differently, though. https://www.wired.com/2015/01/need-know-learning-styles-myth-two-minutes/

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Sometimes we need to use opposites. "What other activities?" "Horseback riding."
The only thing I know about horses is that one end bites and the other end is good for the garden.
But, I did watch cowboy movies when I was a cute little kid.
"Here we need to do the opposite. To stop a horse you put your feet forward and lean back pulling on the reins, right? Here we want to do the opposite. Lean forward. Get over your toes. Engage the ski tips into the snow."

Give them things they can see, not things they're supposed to feel. "Move your whole body forward and twist to the left (for a right turn) so your zipper pull is over the brand name of the left ski." (They never move as far as they think they're moving; most of us don't, either.)
Depends on english or western and if they are doing dressage.
With a english you are posting which is like the pumping bike thing, or hunter jumper, you are up over the stirrups posting and moving with the horse. Western dressage is laid back but if you watch cutting, pole bending or barrel racing then the rider is over his stirrups. A decently trained rider and horse will use very little rein.

0:34-1:00 check the riders body position, horses to
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...117F1EC45669AE0EB6A5117F1EC45669A&FORM=VRDGAR
Heels are dropped, but the pressure is on the balls of the feet
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FE9D97581024FD499A1AFE9D97581024F&FORM=VRDGAR

skimore1

Booting up
Instructor
I had a never ever lesson with a 10 year old boy, I took him to the beginner area and had him go through basic sliding,wedge,stance etc. he seemed distracted by the larger hill next to us which had moguls.He seemed pretty athletic and caught on fast so we moved to the intermediate area and worked on turns, he was struggling a bit (banking) when I asked him what other sports he does and he dropped the bomb! "I am a regional champion BMX racer! Bingo I had him grab the handlebars and use his ski's as his pedals. Instant parallel turns! Then we refined it so he wasn't lifting his inside "pedal" and kept some weight on it as he steered. The bike analogy turned the light on instantly. He was very happy! and so were his parents.
Later that day I saw him on the "big hill" he was distracted by earlier cruising through and of course jumping the moguls this was before terrain parks but if there was. I'm sure he would have been shredding that too!

TS
john petersen

john petersen

Instructor
awesome, skimore1

The art of using familiar transferable skills is nearly priceless!. Even if kids are nonathletic there will be some common ground to draw from....Math skills can be visualized through geometric shape carved in the snow, Music students can visualize giant whole notes lying flat on the trail, skis can be made to skid loudly or curve around more quietly, bugs can be stomped, bunnies can hop, we can ride bikes or skateboards or move our feet like we move our thumbs on a cell phone........

wait, I just addressed a few learning styles, sorry.....

;)

JP

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Learning styles are an appealing, "common sense"/"intuitive" way to understand learning. Educational psychology researchers have found that catering to learning styles does not produce meaningful results.

We almost all* have functioning eyes, ears, nerve endings, and (sometimes despite evidence to the contrary) brains. It is by helping our learners to engage all senses that we can create more effective situated learning experiences.

The one concession that can be made is around the "doer" style - we are all doers. Doing a given task, and receiving effective feedback, are an absolute requirement for improvement. (Feedback can come in many forms, which may or may not include an instructor yelling "bend zee knees!")

* The caveat is around people disabilities. Accommodations should be made to adapt teaching to the senses that learners can use (but still without trying to cater to one specific preference.)

https://career.ucsf.edu/sites/career.ucsf.edu/files/Article UCSF SEJC January 2017.pdf
https://www.psychologicalscience.or...ry-and-visual-learning-psychologists-say.html
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/mar/12/no-evidence-to-back-idea-of-learning-styles
https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ609651

Last edited:
TS
john petersen

john petersen

Instructor
IMHO...

The learning style debate, arguably, has merit on both sides.....but, I think this may be one of those theories that gives educators better perspective and more depth of knowledge on the possibilities of how people learn. Its a beneficial theory for an educator to have knowledge on. It allows them to be more versatile in their approach to any given teaching segment. I am of the belief that we all use many different learning styles at any given time and may indeed need to experience more that a set few when being taught.

For skiing, I try to say it, draw it, show it, then ask for participation. This covers a few bases in a simple and quick way. If there are questions, I know that person needs to hear more, or see a different diagram (drawn in the snow) or see another demonstration......If there are not questions, then folks are generally thinking about the topic and internalizing (or tuning me out!). when I hear, "Im ready to try that!".....I know something clicked!

skills are acquired through repetition, practice, failure, success, ect....

getting back to analogies, The familiarity analogies induce for me, anyway, helps my confidence.....If I can do the analogous thing, then it seems I can do this new thing and am more willing to try it out.....

Feedback can be analogous too..... Good work there on those left turns, smooth as silk.....good use of short snaky turns to navigate a crowded slope, I can really see your upper and lower body actually separating!......

JP

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Carving a turkey. Slicing rather than chopping or hacking, from front to back (direction of travel) of the blade. Imagery of the skis as a tool. Imagery of its motion. Highest pressure at the middle of the motion.

Bird of prey's talons. Gain purchase of its prey with the tips, pull it in, then sink the talons in deeply. Imagery of ski tips making contact, gaining purchase, and the edges sinking deeply into the snow at the belly of the turn

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some analogies that I learned aren't really politically correct, but they worked.

For working on my uphill hand dropping back while skiing bumps I was told to imagine a little guy standing on the top of the bump. Stab him in the toe and punch him in the nose.

This helped with my pole plant and driving my hand forward, but since I ski with a 44" pole, that was one tiny little guy.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....For working on my uphill hand dropping back while skiing bumps I was told to imagine a little guy standing on the top of the bump. Stab him in the toe and punch him in the nose.....

I've heard that metaphor with a polar bear as the victim. Stab him in the toes, punch him in the nose.
Problem is, my vision of a polar bear is of a mother with cubs, and I like her.

James

Out There
Instructor
I've heard that metaphor with a polar bear as the victim. Stab him in the toes, punch him in the nose.
Problem is, my vision of a polar bear is of a mother with cubs, and I like her.
Just use a Troll. Works in Norway.
Or... go with the old standby, shifting a car. But then one would have had to have driven a manual trans.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Some analogies that I learned aren't really politically correct, but they worked.

For working on my uphill hand dropping back while skiing bumps I was told to imagine a little guy standing on the top of the bump. Stab him in the toe and punch him in the nose.

This helped with my pole plant and driving my hand forward, but since I ski with a 44" pole, that was one tiny little guy.

You sure it was the nose? :duck:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Swords, not foils.

D5CFEB89-2071-4D6C-9E97-55F4555FA039.jpeg