• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix CH4... You have failed me for the last time

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I can't believe you guys would quick cool a ski wax. ^^ All you get is a higher internal friction. The wax then will not perform as it should.
@Sibhusky, you know an un-waxed ski can have good glide in super cold snow, but the problem is then going to be base burn.
Better to use the proper cold waxes and the proper anti-static. If the proper anti-static is used it should be as fast as the un-waxed skis in super cold snows.

Jacques

Skier
Any of the cold waxes will sort of work. CH4 is a good one. Rex green is my favorite. You need to scrape it really well. brush the crap out of them, then put them out in the cold. Supposedly the base contracts and forces more wax to the surface. Then brush the crap out of them again. You want an impregnated polished base without a bit of wax left to scrape off.

Wait a minute......maybe you are cooling at room temp., then super cooling, then brushing again. That's okay as long as you don't cool a fresh wax job outside.
Something tells me you must know that already. "Supposedly" in my view if fact in regard to wax extrusion once super cooled. This assumes the base is well saturated with wax.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I can't believe you guys would quick cool a ski wax. ^^ All you get is a higher internal friction. The wax then will not perform as it should.
@Sibhusky, you know an un-waxed ski can have good glide in super cold snow, but the problem is then going to be base burn.
Better to use the proper cold waxes and the proper anti-static. If the proper anti-static is used it should be as fast as the un-waxed skis in super cold snows.
I'm unclear why you think I have an unwaxed ski? I've just not been on those skis in a while. They were waxed on Jan 28. They had 28,000 feet on them before today. They look just fine. I just don't remember off the top of my head exactly what I did with them without going down to the basement to check my records. But it's been cold for a while, so it was probably cold wax.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Jacques is pointing out that an unstructured, unwaxed base is the hot setup for real cold.
This may be why they were burning up bases in Korea, no wax!
A chrome plated steel base would probably work well if it was really cold....
No base burn problems there.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With due respect to Jacques, today was the first cold day he has seen all year;). Everything I know about cold waxing comes from times spent in Frazier, Colorado (the icebox of the nation). We have darn few cold, dry days in Oregon. When we get one everyone stays home.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Toss one of these in your pocket and you can ski in really cold weather and be very warm.
This is the 21st century, take advantage of it.
VEN35009-2.jpg

Jacques

Skier
I'm unclear why you think I have an unwaxed ski? I've just not been on those skis in a while. They were waxed on Jan 28. They had 28,000 feet on them before today. They look just fine. I just don't remember off the top of my head exactly what I did with them without going down to the basement to check my records. But it's been cold for a while, so it was probably cold wax.

Well.......my take on your post was the skis had been run out of wax. Memory........I have that problem too! :beercheer:

Jacques

Skier
Jacques is pointing out that an unstructured, unwaxed base is the hot setup for real cold.
This may be why they were burning up bases in Korea, no wax!
A chrome plated steel base would probably work well if it was really cold....
No base burn problems there.

Well, I did not mention a smooth un-structured base, but you nailed it.
In the serious race world even the base plastic hardness is taken into account.

Jacques

Skier
With due respect to Jacques, today was the first cold day he has seen all year;). Everything I know about cold waxing comes from times spent in Frazier, Colorado (the icebox of the nation). We have darn few cold, dry days in Oregon. When we get one everyone stays home.

Ha ha! I went up today. Snow was slowish. My wife wanted to go home. I only got three turns in! Glide.......no problem had I with some Dominator Bullet over Dominator Graphite Zoom. Scraped and brushed like a semi-pro! :daffy:

Jacques

Skier
Toss one of these in your pocket and you can ski in really cold weather and be very warm.
This is the 21st century, take advantage of it.
VEN35009-2.jpg
Ha ha! Those go dead! Six layers don't die!

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Sometimes they explode too but you can be really warm with a Gerbings vest and one of these powering Hotronix in your boots.
Life is short, take more chances......
That LiPO will cook me for about 2 hours and I have more.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah Lipos are actually pretty safe unless damaged.....

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
yeah Lipos are actually pretty safe unless damaged.....
I tend to think of them as moody.
Unprotected LiPO's can be spectacular when pulling a heavy current draw and I have seen more then one model airplane go up in flames on takeoff run.
At low current draw there is no problem but you have to also use a voltage monitor, if they are over discharged they cannot be recharged.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ha ha! I went up today. Snow was slowish. My wife wanted to go home. I only got three turns in! Glide.......no problem had I with some Dominator Bullet over Dominator Graphite Zoom. Scraped and brushed like a semi-pro! :daffy:

Have you ever used Psycho?

Now imagine it being so cold that your brushed and polished Psycho is slow. Let's say you wanted to do something similar to @Primoz ' old trick of putting a lubricating super-warm into the super-hard-cold. Would Butter work?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I think, I've skied more at 5F and below then above this year. But that's changing this week.

I have been using Purl Purple and Green and it meets my needs. No poling or wishing I could skate and ski faster.

Jacques

Skier
Have you ever used Psycho?

Now imagine it being so cold that your brushed and polished Psycho is slow. Let's say you wanted to do something similar to @Primoz ' old trick of putting a lubricating super-warm into the super-hard-cold. Would Butter work?

IDK, you got me there. Hard as I go with Dominator is with the Bullet waxes. Then it's always a blend with another wax.
It really never gets cold enough for Psycho at Mt Bachelor thank goodness..

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
We finally got to the 0+ range and everything works like magic now. In fact I rewaxed all the skis with CH5 and today was perfect. We had 8" of the driest powder I've ever seen. I was still bottoming out in 12" of fluff but such an awesome day made better knowing that my skis were freshly waxed!

Sponsor

Staff online