• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix CH4... You have failed me for the last time

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
You would think -25 to 10F wax would work pretty well at -2F but the last two cold blasts we've had here I diligently waxed the skis with CH4 and had a great deal of difficulty getting anywhere at the summit with slightly better results at base elevation which is maybe 6 degrees warmer. Perhaps the biggest difference is the wind driven surface we have up top. The wind was fierce overnight and our 12" of powder has turned to chalk. Surprisingly dense weird stuff to navigate.

So is there a waxing solution for these conditions? It didn't just bother me on the flats, it seemed like my skis were stuck in every turn.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Your not going to get 28 degree F snow glide on snow that cold. No matter how hard the wax your going to be slower.
That's my take anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You would think -25 to 10F wax would work pretty well at -2F but the last two cold blasts we've had here I diligently waxed the skis with CH4 and had a great deal of difficulty getting anywhere at the summit with slightly better results at base elevation which is maybe 6 degrees warmer. Perhaps the biggest difference is the wind driven surface we have up top. The wind was fierce overnight and our 12" of powder has turned to chalk. Surprisingly dense weird stuff to navigate.

So is there a waxing solution for these conditions? It didn't just bother me on the flats, it seemed like my skis were stuck in every turn.
-2*? The only solution is a bottle of bourbon to wax my liver. :rocks:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Were other skiers gliding past you or was everybody stuck?
Jacques is right, when it gets too cold for liquid water to form under the skis you might as well be skiing on sand.
This doesn't happen at an exact temperature but -2 is in the ballpark.
When it is this cold an unstructured, unwaxed base will be fast but it wont last long.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
What is the relative humidity? Michigan is strange with lake effect snow so we can have 3 degree temps and 90% humidity, We use lots of LF5, HF5 and LF4.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Relative humidity has been low. 75% at night and 50% in the afternoon. So yeah, I noticed a lot of folks were poling in areas that that wouldn't ordinarily require it. Lots of squeaky snow.

So what I'm getting is that I need to learn yet another accommodation to imperfect conditions... skiing is hard!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Your not going to get 28 degree F snow glide on snow that cold. No matter how hard the wax your going to be slower.
That's my take anyway.

^^^^ This.

I have skied a handful of days this season here in Colorado at 0ºF or below and it is not easy. Sticky AF. Even on the steeper stuff. On the flats forget it.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Funny

We had a cold xmas holiday here in the East. Lots of mornings the temps were around -5.
I had no issues moving down hill or across the flats on those mornings. I wax blue or red. with the break at 10 degrees F, anticipated.
There are "some" cold snows that defy wax selection, but it's not entirely temperature related. Things need to be "just so" to be met with a sand pile when exiting the lift.

When you are on the hill at 7:00 every morning, you see it all...and deal with it.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Fuller you're making me think I need to get up there. Almost got there today and was changing to go, then couldn't get my mind into it.

Skiing is exactly what your mind needs right now, hopefully the crowds will not be an issue tomorrow. We'll make a late start but we'll be there!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Relative humidity has been low. 75% at night and 50% in the afternoon. So yeah, I noticed a lot of folks were poling in areas that that wouldn't ordinarily require it. Lots of squeaky snow.

So what I'm getting is that I need to learn yet another accommodation to imperfect conditions... skiing is hard!

Air humidity and snow wetness are not the same. Use the snowball test to check the snow, not air humidity gauge.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Coldest days in Minnesota were always Holmenkol blue days/nights..

http://www.race-werks.com/holmenkol-ultra-mix-blue-wax/

I remember one time back in high school working at the ski hill the Women's Pro Tour was in town. All the local ski shops were sold out of H Blue. The pro techs were sharing the same ski and tuning room with the instructors and patrol that weekend. I ended up trading one of the pro techs like 15 blocks of other assorted colors for ONE cake of my H blue. His racer got 2nd.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to use a purple wax from @SlideWright that seemed to work well in the super cold temps in Michigan.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Was out today in 1°, my skis were fine. I don't even remember what they were waxed with last, will have to look it up. Not super slippery, I did have to pole more, but none of the "skiing on the beach" feel. I remember having that once years ago, but nothing like that today. I probably had a mix of Racewax green and some CH4 along the edges, but the last full wax across the whole base with CH4 would have been preseason. Sure there could still be some, because the stuff is tough, but nothing recent except for the edges. How's the structure on those new skis? I don't normally worry about structure until the spring, but maybe that's an issue in hyper cold conditions as well? I always have good structure since I touch it up a bit most times I wax, just a pass or two.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any of the cold waxes will sort of work. CH4 is a good one. Rex green is my favorite. You need to scrape it really well. brush the crap out of them, then put them out in the cold. Supposedly the base contracts and forces more wax to the surface. Then brush the crap out of them again. You want an impregnated polished base without a bit of wax left to scrape off.

Franzz

Ἀνερρίφθω κύϐος
Skier
Actually i Bronze brush the CH4 after coling outside from a hot scrape then 3m it and Blue nylon brush again like a mad Curler on good beer;)

Sponsor

Staff online