• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer workout stokage!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mountain bike at night when its cool. Hiked a few mountains. Eat enough ice cream to stay at 170. Back is still screwed up so limited upper body. It's not natural for 40 year olds to do 20 pull ups anyways.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been hiking around Alta usually going 6-8 miles a couple times a week

Attachments

• IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 4
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 4

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
We have been hiking a lot as well. Never hiked much in New England due to humidity and bugs. Since i have been in Colorado, we hike every weekend and we found it helps to prevent early ski season leg burn. Gently hike up and trail run down.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did most of it, but was dying by the end. I couldn't do the lateral/ventral jump things with my right leg- I tweaked my ankle and its still recovering. The last exercise- low lunge with a twist, I just sucked air and watched.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Year long gym rat here, currently doing CrossFit-like strength-cardio-stretching a couple times a week. Also do tennisonce a week year round.
Warmer weather brings biking. Usually road biking and climbing hills, but this year am slowly adding mtb.

The biking has really helped with the skiing. The stretching is really helping with recovery.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think I might have found my summer workout stokage. I hiked down the summit of Killington in Vermont today and I think I'm hooked. i admit I'm lazy and uphill waking isn't my thing but walking downhill was way more interesting to me. It was around 2.5 miles from the summit to the bottom. I told my guy Michael that I may have found my summer thang. It's a challenge to get me to hike anywhere. However, put me on a ski mountain at the summit and say 'downward' and I seem to do it with a smile. Maybe it was the late august vermont summer air, the cool breezes, the happy vibe all around. Something about today was magical. Put me on a ski mountain in the summer and say let's walk down and I seem to do it with aplomb. I might have found another summer stoke thing for me to do............

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I might have found my summer workout stokage. I hiked down the summit of Killington in Vermont today and I think I'm hooked. i admit I'm lazy and uphill waking isn't my thing but walking downhill was way more interesting to me. It was around 2.5 miles from the summit to the bottom. I told my guy Michael that I may have found my summer thang. It's a challenge to get me to hike anywhere. However, put me on a ski mountain at the summit and say 'downward' and I seem to do it with a smile. Maybe it was the late august vermont summer air, the cool breezes, the happy vibe all around. Something about today was magical. Put me on a ski mountain in the summer and say let's walk down and I seem to do it with aplomb. I might have found another summer stoke thing for me to do............
I'm more of an uphiller when it comes to hiking. The views get better and better, and I enjoy the exertion. Going downhill for too long hurts!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm more of an uphiller when it comes to hiking. The views get better and better, and I enjoy the exertion. Going downhill for too long hurts!

My guy is trying to get me to walk uphill but that seems unappealing to me, too much work. Right now I'm all about downhill, such great views at the summit and pretty all the way down.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Indoor rock climbing. Generally chasing kids around. Chores around the house and yard. Hmm, I've also started to incorporate more "gym" exercises, some ski-specific like this one
https://www.fitnessblender.com/vide...itioning-workout-strength-and-cardio-training

We really like those Fitness Blender workouts. We have quite a few of the HIIT and Pilates workouts we cycle through. We were doing the ski conditioning video you linked a couple times a week last year and will start incorporating it later in the year.

Here are some simple exercises to unlock those hips, no fancy equipment required.
https://medium.com/@supremeski/the-...ke-your-skiing-to-the-next-level-280e3c9a86e0

I'll be incorporating those into my routine. Nat is abnormally limber/flexible, whatever. Part of it is because of her Thai/Asian culture where they comfortably squat for hours, but even that her body seems extra flexible. All of her joints are as flexible as her arms.

nat.jpg

Whenever she fell on a flat area with her skis, I would rush over to help because I know how very difficult it can be to get up in flat areas with your skis on, but she'd be up before I got there. I'm 100% positive her flexibility allowed her to escape an ACL injury and end our ski season very early on. She took the typical backward fall, but I watched in slow motion as her leg/knee bent in a very abnormal way. She was in pain and not happy, but was pretty much ok the next day.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I barefoot water ski in the summer and that will be stopping shortly, I'm afraid. Started the gym routine this week, it's been 4 yrs of not going. This week is full of new stiffness and pain. :) By snow time, I should be in better shape to snow ski and drink more beer. :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
By snow time, I should be in better shape to snow ski and drink more beer. :)

Why wait? Drink more beer now.
I'm sure you are in good enough shape to do that. :cool:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just think of it as more road hugging weight to better embrace the pull of gravity.

Sponsor

Staff online