• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suddenly can’t sleep at altitude

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe talk with a doctor?
Hi everyone… I lived at 9000’ for 15 years, never had issues then or before, with the altitude. Moved to Denver in 2021 and it didn’t begin immediately, but over last year and half my ability to sleep at altitude has deteriorated. I notice the racing heart, deeper breaths, slight headache when I get up to the mountains, but I wouldn’t say I feel terrible… but the lack of much/deep sleep (due to body struggling to recalibrate??) does make me feel awful next day. Also.. I’ve aged (yep)… 53 now.

what should I do? Oxygen at night? I think sleep gets a little better if up here over time, but very unfortunately I’m weekend warrior now…

Thanks for advice!!
Maybe talk with a doctor? I would want to know why something has changed after living at altitude for 15 years. Maybe it's just age but who knows?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@jcat, I live in Denver and spend a lot of time at 9700ft. If I don't go up to altitude for a month or so, I'll have to reacclimate and notice it on the first few nights. I won't have any issues if I go up every other weekend or more frequently. Similar with the rest of our family.

Also, try ibuprofen or Tylenol to relieve altitude symptoms. I'll always take some to help me sleep when returning to altitude after a while.

Sponsor

Staff online