• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subie/VW thoughts?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We almost bought a new Rav4 Hybrid, then drove an Outback. The electric only mode was cool, always wanted to try a hybrid or plug-in, but took the OB home.
Really hard to argue with the new OB...we didn't need the space and liked the drivability of the Alltrack..it was a tough choice.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Sorry. I was talking about current OBs, 2017 and 2018.

It would handle 184 skis easily. I can fit 184 skis in my forester with only the 40% side folded, with skis lying diagonally and tip poking driver's seatback and B pillar. Consider Outback has 20 cm longer cargo area it should be able to handle 200 skis if necessary.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Really hard to argue with the new OB...we didn't need the space and liked the drivability of the Alltrack..it was a tough choice.

I did not test drive the Alltrack. Partly because I knew I would like it. The dieselgate thing kind of bugged me, but primarily, I just did not want another German car, or any domestic cars. Really wanted something AWD from Japan. I'd never owned a Subaru (or VW) and had been interested in getting one for years. Of course, my next car might be a Golf GTi. :)

We have 10,000 miles on the OB in 3 months and are very happy with it. Fuel mileage hand calculated is just a bit over 27 mpg. I hoped for closer to 30, but other than that, we are totally satisfied, and then some.

I guess I should write "German brand" or "Japanese brand". The OB is made in Indiana. I forget the %US content but its pretty high. The factory where they are made was used for a dozen years+- until recently, to build Toyota Camrys as Toyota was unable to keep up with demand. I suspect Subaru picked up a few good ideas from the Toyota builds. Fasteners to electronics, materials, panel gaps....etc. all are very impressive, especially considering it is a "value" and not "premium" car.

Already checking into swapping it for an 18 3.6 Limited or Touring. I figure that means we are satisfied.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Currently very happy with the Alltrack's MPG. We don't have a lot of stop lights here, though, so even though the average speeds are low, they are not idling time.

Short local trip across town and back:

IMG_20170804_121106.jpg

Extended time, including a drive on the Sun Road and to and from Missoula:
IMG_20170804_120922.jpg

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
We just did 1000 miles in the OB with a ski/cargo box on top and averaged 31 mpg. Best ever. Surprised, especially with the box, 2 adults, a kiddo and the back stuffed with coolers, chairs, luggage....

JeffS

Booting up
Skier
I've had 184's and 193's in the Outback with the narrower rear seat folded down.

As a tool to get to the mountain in the snow, it's been great. As a former car hobbyist, it's the most uninspiring car I've ever owned.

TS
tch

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re mileage: just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to see the eclipse. 2017 Sportwagen 4Motion. Nothing on roof, but driving a LOT of 70mph and through the mountains of WVa. 36.5 mpg.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Re mileage: just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to see the eclipse. 2017 Sportwagen 4Motion. Nothing on roof, but driving a LOT of 70mph and through the mountains of WVa. 36.5 mpg.
You will not get that in a Subie I don't think!! :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WOW...what octane were you running?

TS
tch

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reg. 87. ...and it cost $2.09 in Kentucky! They might as well give it away!

BTW: I just ran an inflation calculator, and $2.09 in 2017 equals $0.36 in 1973 (when I started buying gas) -- which is EXACTLY what it cost me back then. WHOA! :eek:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Correct.
I get 35+mpg at 60 and 28 at 75. O'well, I do have 8.7 inches of ground clearance!!!
That's still pretty good..2.5 I assume?? I think at best I get 26 or so with the 3.6. However, it does make cool sounds when it downshifts.. :D

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
That's still pretty good..2.5 I assume?? I think at best I get 26 or so with the 3.6. However, it does make cool sounds when it downshifts.. :D
:) Yes. 2.5 17 premium. I know many call it underpowered but mine screams and does well passing. Really enjoying it. Fun to enjoy a tiny 4boxer and get 25+ hauling an awd wagon. I looked at 3.6's today....may do a swap....kinda happy with mine though. :)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've done 3 round trips from FL to MT, 2 round trips to VT and 3 to TN in my 2015 Outback 2.5. No problems, averaging 28-29 mpg. Yeah the performance is a bit uninspiring but it really is a solid little car.

The car is great, the dealer however neglected to tighten the crankcase drain plug all the way on my last oil change. The oil light came on and I pulled over immediately (a block away from my house). The plug had maybe 2 threads holding it in - almost a lunched motor. 4 qts later I got it over to Tampa to get it checked out. You would think after having saved them 5-7k in warranty expense they would be a bit more thankful...