• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
So you all know I am a gear junkie and love to support a local small biz so I when was at the Christy Sports Powder Daze Sale this morning and saw the words "Polartec NeoShell and Alpha" together in one jacket, I had to partake...

So now I have another Colorado brand, Strafe Outerwear, that I am psyched about. The Exhibition will serve as my cold day jacket, accompanying my Freeride Systems shell quite well. I am a huge fan of both NeoShell and Alpha. Most know NeoShell, which is breathable and windproof and has a quiet, soft feel. Many don't know about Alpha, which was originally designed for U.S. special forces as a lightweight, breathable but warm insulation. It is truly different in that Alpha is designed for high output wear. It breathes, wicks, and transports extremely well but doesn't retain heat like traditional insulation, so once you stand still or get on a lift, it is very efficient at dumping heat. Couple that with NeoShell, and you've got a pretty serious technical jacket. The build quality on this is really nice, and I like the design; just a bit new school but not blingy. The zippers are well designed and the pockets have great placement and size. I am wearing a large. It is true to size in general and is cut a touch longer in the length and sleeve, which I like. This piece has 60 g of insulation. Tests to follow this winter.

strafe-jpg.12517

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Looking at the Highlands (no Exhibitions left in L size) but seems to be a lighter-weight (100gsm) Neoshell but with more (100/80g) Alpha.
Any insight on what that means for lift riding at -20 C & strong winds?

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would love to hear some impressions as well...it is good looking and could be a winner with the Neoshell.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really really like the Strafe things I've seen.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Ron

Hey, I know this is ancient history, but I’d love to hear how you felt the NeoShell and Alpha Direct did together

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I looked at their site and they have a one piece powder suit for those who want to return to that era ogsmile

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to post! I think I’m just about to pull the trigger on a marmot castle peak....

I just got a chance to look at the castle peak, looks like a great jacket. I Love the combo of neoshell and Alpha.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I apologize for not seeing the posts from 2017, Aways best to tag a person.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid