• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
I am heading to ski at Stowe March 18th and 19th, 2017. Any tips on skiing Stowe for someone who has not been there yet? I am a Level 7 (maybe at the lower end) on a scale of 9 and am starting to enjoy ungroomed and bump skiing (although it is still a work in progress). I will be skiing by myself while my wife and oldest daughter enjoy some off-mountain activities. Any thoughts on making the most of 2 days on the mountain and in town would be appreciated. We are staying right in the village so we can walk to whatever town might offer.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ski it before Vail takes over. (Though it might get better, a cafeteria meal for 2 will be $100)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@BluewingDavid , there are few non employees that you have direct access to here who know that mountain and well as @KevinF...and none nicer.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I might be there that weekend as well.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Kevin will have you covered. I will just say this in advance as it's not like this at most mountains. The lift opens at 7:30. Be ready.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Kevin your ditch at the bottom the meadows bowl almost got today. Its big and invisible.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Kevin will have you covered. I will just say this in advance as it's not like this at most mountains. The lift opens at 7:30. Be ready.

The number of times I've been in line prior to 7:30 could probably be counted on one hand... I usually don't start hiking the hill until 7:40 or so. ogwink

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Robin and I are probably going to ski Stowe then too. Perhaps we can all gather.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Hitting Stowe on Friday March 17 for "The Point" ski party. Half price tickets paired with lots of swag to win is good enough to attract the Killington faithful to make the trek North. Plan to hit the Forerunner at 7:30 ripping off as many top to bottom as my legs will handle. When they cry for mercy it's time to take a break and drive down to The Alchemist and fill the cooler with Heady Topper. Head back to the hill to grill and chill for the remainder of the day. Normal classy ambience of Stowe takes a hit when we roll into the parking lot.

TS
BluewingDavid

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
I had a great first time trip to Stowe! Big thanks to KevinF for being an outstanding mountain guide - I never had to look at a trail map all day skiing with him the first day. He showed me a very good sampling of the terrain and got me into some nice intermediate bumps that were awesome and a baby glade that was just right for my first tree skiing experience. It was good getting to ski with SKI-3PO and his son as well, who it turns out, live in my area. The hike up an old ski trail to a very cool vista with a larger group of people we met up with was spectacular as well. Embarrassed that KevinF had to witness some really terrible skiing by me on the short trail descending from there. However, he might have marveled at how someone could try and crash so many ways, but never pull it off! My last run of the trip was memorable. I found bumps and some really nice skied off piled up snow most of the way down from the gondola. Outstanding.

I might not ever go back to Stowe though since it was perhaps a perfect 2 days there. :) Winter storm Stella had dropped 50 inches of snow on the summit so there was incredible coverage, great groomers, soft bumps and nice areas of soft skied off powder to hit. Temperatures were cold, but not frigid, and there was not a cloud in the sky for 2 days and zero wind. Not sure I will be lucky enough to randomly hit such great conditions and weather again!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great to meet you David. We definitely need to ski together again some time. It was a beautiful weekend at Stowe.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rather than start a new thread: can anyone suggest good cheap lodging around Stowe, and maybe a local place for an AWD rental car? I'm planning to go out there in mid-February.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Off-mountain for the family,

Maple sugaring
Austrian teahouse
Pastry baking class

all at Trapp Family Lodge

sleigh rides there and elsewhere

Sponsor

Staff online