• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of the perspectives. I am definitely leaning more toward the SC than I was before.

As for the Stormriders, I find it interesting that no one seems to talk much about the 105, here or seemingly elsewhere. Is the 95 just that much more versatile? Is it just better known? Maybe it is just my search skills and the discussion is already out there, but I am not seeing it. (Similarly, why are there few comparisons of the Stormrider 95 and Renoun Endurance 98?)

Thanks all. This has been super helpful.

Between the 95 and 105... As a level 9 skier you understand the nuances and physics of skiing - the three ways that we can influence our skus. The answer should be apparent.

Which of the three aspects will a wider ski favor?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lazer AX will not be made next year, so I purchased an additional pair. That is how much I like them. They are one of my primary day-in, day-out work skis and will handle any and all Western conditions, unless we see one of those dumps that drops 36" + in a day - which is very, very rare in the Inter mountain west.

Are you sure the AX will be disco'd ?
Phil recently posted pics of the 2018/2019 Laser AX from SIA -> it was all yellow, not the current yellow+green
https://www.pugski.com/threads/sia-or-2018-reports-from-the-floor.8304/#post-198542

My travel-ski this year was a BMX105 non-HP 181, which I was very happy with in a variety of conditions.
But I see there is an SR97 177 available locally for a good price but not sure if I should flirt with it, considering how much I liked my BMX105 non-HP

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The Laser Ax will be produced next season, the SR83 is gone as is the SR115 and they will add the Laser MX which is a women's or lightweight Mens AX. The SR88 gets an overhaul to a stiffer chassis.

Stockli will also be increasing production so that should help with supply

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Between the 95 and 105... As a level 9 skier you understand the nuances and physics of skiing - the three ways that we can influence our skus. The answer should be apparent.

Which of the three aspects will a wider ski favor?

IMHO, they should have increased the tip and tail rocker profile on the SR105.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The Laser Ax will be produced next season, the SR83 is gone as is the SR115 and they will add the Laser MX which is a women's or lightweight Mens AX. The SR88 gets an overhaul to a stiffer chassis.

Is the new stiffer SR88 on par with the old red and gray ones? I understand the newer models (while lighter) lost a little too much in the stiffness department?

The beta on older Stockli's was that they were ungodly stiff... I hope they're not swinging the pendulum that far back.

I see a lot of Stockli's at Stowe; I have yet to see somebody on the SR83's. AX's, 88's and 95's seem to be the popular choices.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Is the new stiffer SR88 on par with the old red and gray ones? I understand the newer models (while lighter) lost a little too much in the stiffness department?

The beta on older Stockli's was that they were ungodly stiff... I hope they're not swinging the pendulum that far back.

I see a lot of Stockli's at Stowe; I have yet to see somebody on the SR83's. AX's, 88's and 95's seem to be the popular choices.

Cant directly compare. I skied it once but dont remember. I can say this new 88 isnt burly but seemingly felt a little muted as compared to the SR95. It was quick edge-to-edge and was fun. If you are on the fence for width, I'd go to the SR95 which has a better feel with damn close to the same quickness. Keep in mind I am skiing the 184 and did not ski the 175 in the SR95. IMHO Calling @Doug Briggs and @dawgcatching for input. I know scott skied the SR95 in the 175. I would say demo!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Anyone ski the SR83....comments?
Is the SR97 still in production for next year?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The sr107 was replaced by the sr105 this season and returns unchanged for next season.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

AX - New top skin. Small structural and dimensional changes.

If I indicated that it was being discontinued... poor choice of words on my end.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I just ordered a pair of in-stock SR 83's mounted with Rossi FKS bindings from Ski Depot in Maine...that ski had been on my radar for over a year.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the Italian site linked above ( and also a German site ) , they make reference to a new "Turtle Shell Comfort" on the AX, and a "Turtle Shell Racing" on the SX and CX.