• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The last three years we've been driving from Florida to Montana and Steamboat was our first skiing stop. Nice mountain, cool town but a bit pricey at $219 each for a three day pass. This year our season pass at Whitefish includes 3 days of skiing at Loveland and we drive right by it! So the question is... is $438.00 enough to to switch to Loveland?

We have to have lodging either way and we can still make Whitefish in 2 days afterwards. But where would we stay, Silverthorn? Georgetown?

Going from sea level to 10-13k at Loveland might be a bit drastic. Steamboat tops out at 10k.

How does the mountain compare? I gather Loveland can be a bit windy at times.

Any thoughts?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm..well elevation is gained rather gradually when you drive, rather than fly to Denver and drive up to 10K in the same day. So not an issue.

Free is ....well, free. Why not give it a try this year? Then next year, when someone else asks a similar question, you will be the expert.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Loveland is a great ski area. Definitely a different vibe than the rest of the front range ski areas, they tend to have more locals than vacationing skiers. Even though it's the closest major ski area, it's also one of the least crowded. Part of the reason is due to the fact it's not attached to any multi resort season pass such as the Epic pass or Rocky Mtn Super Pass. The other I think is because there are NO high speed lifts.

I think their trail map is a little misleading and makes it look smaller than it actually is, it's HUGE.

Yes, it does quite windy. But as long as you dress appropriately, you'll be ok. I wouldn't say it's much windier than Breck.

In terms of terrain, I feel like it has plenty of intermediate terrain, along with some good black terrain off of chair 1 and great stuff off of chair 9 (which is subjected to quite a few wind holds)

If you are traveling with kids, it's also worth mentioning that they don't have safety bars on ANY chairlift, not even the new one they installed a couple years ago, which can make some skiers anxious.

All and all I think it's worth checking out, definitely a good deal.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Loveland has a very different vibe from what I understand Steamboat to have. Loveland is a locals-focused ski area, Steamboat is a full on resort. Loveland has no high speed lifts, no fancy food, no safety bars, and no on-hill lodging. What it does have is quaint on-hill warming huts, inexpensive but filling food, easy walk-up parking, awesome high-alpine terrain, and a free cat with access to great terrain.

Honestly, I would say a lot of this depends on what kind of terrain you seek out. If you're focused primarily on long groomers, with forays off piste -- then Loveland isn't in the same league as Steamboat. But if you like skiing off piste, high alpine terrain, bumps, and everything in between, Loveland is worth it for 3 days. Lodging will be cheaper than Steamboat if you stay down in Dillion/Silverthorne/Frisco (or Georgetown, it just has less options. Maybe one day in georgetown and two in Dillion/Frisco?)

Honestly -- I'd take the money you save, ski 2 days at Loveland and get a buy-one-get-one to Copper for the 3rd day (shell gas stations have one that usually starts in December with a 10gal fill up.)

Last edited:

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Steamboat and Loveland are very different places. The mountains don't compare, at all. Totally different experiences. Loveland is probably more similar to Whitefish. Stay in Silverthorne. I think the only place to stay in Georgetown is the Alpine, though that may be cheaper than what you find in Silverthorne (La Quinta). All the hotels in Silverthorne are nice enough, and you will always be going opposite of traffic. Hotels in Silverthorne have hot tubs, if it's a bone-chilling cold day, a hot tub would be really nice. There may be some lodging deals through https://www.lovelandreservations.com/. I don't know when you are planning to ski, but it's unlikely that you would be skiing 13,000' at Loveland if you go before February.

I'm not sure what you mean about $438 -- is that what you save by skiing Loveland instead? If so, that seems like a no-brainer to me. If you are looking for long greens and blues, go to Steamboat. If you are looking for open, gladded trees, go to Steamboat. If you are looking for big terrain parks, go to Steamboat. If none of those sound like your thing, give Loveland a shot. Also, it gets pretty busy during peak holiday times, though I imagine Steamboat does too. Steamboat has hot springs, Loveland does not (though Idaho Springs kind of does). Steamboat has good restaurants, Loveland has nothing, though there are restaurants in Silverthorne, and in Georgetown you have the Alpine (which is a bit like the bar on Cheers) and a new Pho place. Silverthorne has a City Market with amazing sushi burritos. Georgetown has a gas station with a little market, though it seemingly has most of what you really need.

You can make Whitefish in one day from Silverthorne, weather permitting. Go back to Denver and take a left. It's about 15 hours from Denver. IIRC it is actually a bit more from Steamboat. My sister does Silverthorne to Calgary as a day drive, which is a bit long.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you drink beer:

- Georgetown: Guanella Pass brewery. Brand new and solid brews.
- Dillion: Dillon dam, Okay brews but great HH Sun-Thurs.
- Frisco: Open Range brewery is best in the Summit/Vail area.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
Loveland and Steamboat are very opposite hills. Elevation/exposure doesn't become a factor until spring weather, as Steamboat gets more snow at 9000' then any resort in the state outside of Wolf Creek. If you're coming mid winter, I think the experience at Steamboat is much better. If it's spring and LL is 100% open and covered, give it a go. Whitefish is lots of spaced out trees with consistent pitch, but nothing extreme? If you want that experience, you'll absolutely love Steamboat.

I've tried to love Loveland, it's convenient, chill and gets plenty of snow, but it just doesn't do it for me. There are some weird flats, the weather can suck, the lifts are slow and that 350" of snow can be feast or famine with the massive winds. However, if you want BIG alpine terrain with wide sweeping treeless bowls, it's a really cool place.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Thanks all, great response as usual. So yes, the $438 is the cost of lift tickets that I wouldn't have to spend if we skied Loveland instead. This will be mid January and we'll be spending 6 weeks in Whitefish but we like to stop and sample as we go. I like Steamboat a lot and so does the Wife but I'm also keen on doing different things when I can.

I guess my real consideration is that our first stop has become sort of a "let's see if everything is still working" affair. Sort out any gear issues, ski as much as we can, get a giant burger at Rex's and after 3 days on the mountain we get a rest / drive day before we get to Whitefish. I have to admit the wide sweeping treeless bowls of Loveland would be better with a few days under my belt first.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The good thing about Lovelands bowl terrain is that you've got all levels of bowls. You can start out with some chill mild-pitched stuff off of Ptarmigan chair, work over to chair 4, and Chair 8 which is mostly intermediate terrain with lots of meadow-skipping bowls. Hit Hook 'em Horns for a little more pitch off Chair 8, and if all that feels well, head up to chair 9 where you can progress as you see fit: Rookie Road -> Patrol Bowl -> Castle Rock -> No 4 headwall -> Field of Dreams -> Super Bowl -> Wild Child -> Marmot.

In an average year, lift 9 will be running by mid January with terrain immediately left or right of the lift open (this is still a lot of terrain.) Depending on how the snowpack evolves bigger lines like Super Bowl / Wild Child / Marmot may not be open yet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I wouldn't say it's much windier than Breck.

This is a hilarious quote. I'm trying to think of a similar analogy. "I wouldn't say they're much more morbid than Wednesday Addams." "I wouldn't say she's much smarter than Stephen Hawking." ...

Loveland has no high speed lifts, no fancy food

Man, I had my favorite ski meal of all time at Loveland. Some delicious meat cut - don't remember - slathered in gravy with mashed potatoes and green beans. For nine dollars. NINE DOLLARS. You would have to hand over your favorite kidney to eat that well anywhere else.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Man, I had my favorite ski meal of all time at Loveland. Some delicious meat cut - don't remember - slathered in gravy with mashed potatoes and green beans. For nine dollars. NINE DOLLARS. You would have to hand over your favorite kidney to eat that well anywhere else.

Yep. It ain't fancy. It's comforting and calorically dense. I can ski all day on their breakfast until a 2pm break for a big chili-smothered dog for $4.50 in the Rat.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Before we lived in Colorado we visited 'LL and while there are no high speed lifts, they move a a moderate pace. It is a wide open bowl but there are trees and defined trails at the first 1000 feet. Off Chair 1 there are blue and black trails that are really good. The steeper trails are bumped. The view from their is awesome. Chair 6 is super slow and not really worth it but there are low angle trees that are fun. Ptarmigim lift has many options. Chair 4 has some good runs as well and is used to get to Chair 8. Which has nice runs as well. Chair 9 might be open and if it is it gets you to the Continental Divide. Depends on how much snow falls in December. Since that trip we moved to Colorado and ski 'LL about 4-5 times per season even though we have the Epic Pass.

There are two levels in the base lodge top floor gets busy so we often hang out on the lower level. Food is relatively cheap.

If you are interested in A Basin you cam use one of our 2 for 1s from our Gems Card.

When we visited we stayed in Dillon which has lots of food options and is close to Silverthorne and Frisco. We used homeaway.com, vrbo.com, and airbnb.com and got a cheap condo.

I think it is worth a shot!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The idea of getting a Gem card for the two of you for $25 bucks, sharing the 2-for-1 at some combination of Monarch, Loveland, Abasin, Sunlight, Cooper or Powderhorn actually has some merit. Most of those places have at least a day of terrain. And all having amazing views and cool towns with decent food, inexpensive lodging (Salida, Dillon/Frisco/Georgetown, Glenwood City, Leadville, Palisade) not far away.

If coming from the South, something like Monarch/Salida -> Abasin/Dillon -> Loveland/Dillon, or Monach/Salida -> Cooper/Leadville -> Abasin/Dillon would be logistically easiest.

And tickets would max out at A-basin so like... ~$7-80/day for the two of ya and typically a good bit less. Total cost of lift tickets may not be much more than tickets for 1 to the Boat.

Last edited:

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I stay at The Miner's Pick Bed and Breakfast in Idaho Springs when I ski at ABasin ($99 on weekdays). Loveland is only 30 minutes or so from there and you wouldn't have to go over the mountain or worry about Loveland Pass closing as you would if you stayed in Dillon/Silverthorne. I also find it helps to sleep at 7500 feet. The owner is lovely and cooks breakfast to order daily. I've stayed in Keystone and Dillon before, but now I much prefer The Miner's Pick.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess my real consideration is that our first stop has become sort of a "let's see if everything is still working" affair. Sort out any gear issues, ski as much as we can, get a giant burger

That's actually a pretty good reason to go to Loveland. The sport shop is 50 yards from the lift. They have good boot fitters and honestly about anything you are likely to need. They can make adjustments to your equipment, you can take a run or two and see how it's working, then duck back in for another tweak.

In an average year, lift 9 will be running by mid January with terrain immediately left or right of the lift open (this is still a lot of terrain.) Depending on how the snowpack evolves bigger lines like Super Bowl / Wild Child / Marmot may not be open yet.

I like the way you think, but I wouldn't plan a trip counting on that terrain to be open.

This is a hilarious quote. I'm trying to think of a similar analogy. "I wouldn't say they're much more morbid than Wednesday Addams." "I wouldn't say she's much smarter than Stephen Hawking." ...
It might be cold, but at least it's windy. Loveland might be cold, but it isn't Breckenfridge.

Try a Zip Basin burger from the upstairs bar.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's actually a pretty good reason to go to Loveland. The sport shop is 50 yards from the lift. They have good boot fitters and honestly about anything you are likely to need. They can make adjustments to your equipment, you can take a run or two and see how it's working, then duck back in for another tweak.

They've also been super great for us when we had a binding screw come loose. Solved it super fast and cheap. Good people.

Try a Zip Basin burger from the upstairs bar.

I'd have to do without the bun, and that's just not worth it. (I can handle a little hidden gluten like in a gravy, if I have to - but a full bun, no way.)

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Other's have already commented on Steamboat and Loveland being totally different experiences, so I won't rehash.

Steamboat is only a couple hours north of Loveland - so one option would be to drive up, stay a night in Denver or Georgetown, hit loveland for the day and then finish up in Steamboat.

If you really wanted a sampler you could go Loveland -> Winter Park -> Steamboat, and ski a day at each before heading up to Whitefish.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I stay at The Miner's Pick Bed and Breakfast in Idaho Springs when I ski at ABasin ($99 on weekdays). Loveland is only 30 minutes or so from there and you wouldn't have to go over the mountain or worry about Loveland Pass closing as you would if you stayed in Dillon/Silverthorne. I also find it helps to sleep at 7500 feet. The owner is lovely and cooks breakfast to order daily. I've stayed in Keystone and Dillon before, but now I much prefer The Miner's Pick.
This^^^.

IME it's way easier to sleep at 7500 than in Dillon at >9600, and that's way more important than the elevation you ski at. Flatlanders can't realIy acclimatize to altitude in a few days or even a few weeks, you just get used to feeling sluggish all the time. OTOH your fine dining choices are pretty limited in Idaho Springs, so three nights there might be a lot.

OTOOH I really like Loveland.

dm

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
This^^^.

IME it's way easier to sleep at 7500 than in Dillon at >9600, and that's way more important than the elevation you ski at. Flatlanders can't realIy acclimatize to altitude in a few days or even a few weeks, you just get used to feeling sluggish all the time. OTOH your fine dining choices are pretty limited in Idaho Springs, so three nights there might be a lot.

OTOOH I really like Loveland.

dm

We flew in from NH and went straight to Dillon. But everyone is different with altitude. Lower elevation may be a good idea. If you are there during weekdays it would be fine.

Some mentioned Loveland Pass, there is no need to go over Loveland Pass. Unless you want to drive it fornthe fun of it.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
there are deals on tickets at Steamboat; there was just a 3 day pass for 179$. Also, the altitude isn't really a factor when skiing, its when you are at rest and sleeping. Staying at the boat will be at 6700-7000 where as staying in Summit will put you at about 9000-9600. Huge difference., Driving up will not acclimate you since you are essentially driving from sub 5K elevation to 9600 in one day. If you are sensitive to altitude this could still be an issue.

That said if you want a difference experience, then stay in silverthrorne or Dillion and ski Abasin, Copper, Loveland and maybe a day at Vail if you have never done that. IF you are looking to ski at LL, you HAVE to ski at Abasin. Its a fantastic mountain and a great experience.

Sponsor

Staff online