• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Looks like there will be some snow immediately after I leave on the 31st.

Can not wait to get out there! Should be on the mountain Saturday morning.

Reactions: Ron

Skicheryl

Skiing with the truck camper every chance we get!
Skier
We will be there this weekend. Camping. Skiing Friday and Sunday. Maybe Saturday. I’ve skied tomahawk groomed blue and couple others in that area but don’t know the other side of the mountain. Appreciate a tour or tips on easy blues (haha I know it’s the boat) away from Rendezvous lodge area. That place can be a zoo!

I won’t forget to read the grooming report after my disaster getting down the bumps on lower noon, Don’t care to ever ski bumps again!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Skicheryl -- I'll let others chime in re:blue groomers cause I failed to pay attention to any names, but curious about where you're planning on staying in the truck camper. Just did 3 nights in a van up there and always looking for more beta. Awesome time.

Skicheryl

Skier
@Skicheryl -- I'll let others chime in re:blue groomers cause I failed to pay attention to any names, but curious about where you're planning on staying in the truck camper. Just did 3 nights in a van up there and always looking for more beta. Awesome time.

My BF doesn’t pay attention to the signs either, guess that is okay when you can ski anything! The campground in town has a few spots open in winter. Bus picks up there. Not cheap but it is a campground right there in the boat , we share the cost so it’s not too bad. Would rather be boondocking but limited places in winter. Top of rabbit ears I’ve heard there is free parking with the snowmobile folks but I would rather be in town on the bus line. I’ve also heard stagecoach reservoir has winter camping available maybe one loop open. We’ve stayed there before in summer, about 20 minutes or so from town. We boondocked on a forest service road out by the hot springs in Sept but I’m sure that is gated now.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Skicheryl we are getting some really nice snow including 3" last night and another storm coming in Thursday or Friday. That should really put the entire mountain in fantastic shape. For blue cruisers, look at Buddys Run (top of Some peak lift) first thing in the AM if its clear. Beautiful views and its a long rolling cruiser. I would also hit 4 points lift to Upper and lower Rainbow. You could also hit Cowboy coffee or Alarm clock on Morningside but the tops could be bumped up. Otherwise, on the lower mountain, Vagabond is also a good one. I don't think this weekend is supposed to be crowded but the key up here especially on weekends is to get up and out early. BTW- bumps are awesome :).

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Hey @Ron I heard some interesting things about good flyfishing below stagecoach reservoir in the winter. Know anything about that? Sorry if this is off topic, feel free to pm.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
there is great fishing up here at this time! Check out any of the shops in town and hire a guide to get you on some private waters!

I am battling some angry lower back muscles so I forget who's up here skiing today but I'm feeling pretty good. If anyone is around for a few turns this AM, please let me know. I was actually told I HAD to ski today. really!

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Since this seems to have become the most fun Steamboat thread going right now, may I throw a few questions to the wise ones here? My two brothers and I will be skiing there from Feb. 1 to Feb. 5 (woohoo!), our first trip to 'the boat'. I'm loosey-goosey when traveling by myself, but obsess over planning when others depend on me. These questions have popped up while I've been planning our trip. I apologize in advance for their stupid simplicity, and thank you all in advance for your help. I'm sure I'll have more soon. And I do hope to meet some of you there - would be happy lagniappe to an already happy trip.

· How is Pony Express area accessed if the PE lift is closed? From top of Storm Peak, I assume, but can runs be accessed from black runs (Crowtrack or The Ridge, for example) or only extreme runs such as the chutes? I am not an expert skier, so I avoid extreme terrain.

· Looks like a bowl or meadow on Morningside, between Frying Pan and Rooster, funneling down to lift. Good area to ski? Are the tree areas there – especially those on each side of the Morningside lift – all skiable?

· What is the level of tree well danger right now, with the relatively shallow base?

· What is the general level of terrain difficulty at Steamboat, compared to, say, Taos? I can competently ski all blues and many blacks at Taos (the only mountain I visit frequently), so I can use that as a benchmark. One of my brothers can ski anything steep, but the other brother is not ready for anything too challenging – the blacks at Taos were a bit much for him to be comfortable.

· What makes First/Last Chance runs black-diamond level? They seem to mostly traverse the mountain, which usually indicates a modest slope.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Eddie S -- I'm a relatively newb but to save @Ron some typing ...

How is Pony Express area accessed if the PE lift is closed? From top of Storm Peak, I assume, but can runs be accessed from black runs (Crowtrack or The Ridge, for example) or only extreme runs such as the chutes? I am not an expert skier, so I avoid extreme terrain.

I could only figure out a way here via the "extreme" runs. Those runs vary a great deal in difficulty, from rock drop/cliff laced to just steep with loose trees. Christmas trees or East face are the easiest skis. You then still have to sort of know where the hike is off to the skiers right. For someone from CO in decent shape its a bit under 10min. Add some time if you're not used to altitude.

· Looks like a bowl or meadow on Morningside, between Frying Pan and Rooster, funneling down to lift. Good area to ski? Are the tree areas there – especially those on each side of the Morningside lift – all skiable?

It's OK in my opinion, not great. Most the trees are skiable, but the pitch is relatively flat after the first bit which can suck if you get flatted out in the trees. Worth a run or two early, but don't get trapped back there after 10:30/11 as line gets long. However, if you want to access the peak / extreme terrain, it's the easiest way.

· What is the level of tree well danger right now, with the relatively shallow base?

It didn't seem horrible, but definitely need to still pay attention around the coniferous stuff. I punched through a few times. As always, ski trees with friends if possible.

· What is the general level of terrain difficulty at Steamboat, compared to, say, Taos? I can competently ski all blues and many blacks at Taos (the only mountain I visit frequently), so I can use that as a benchmark. One of my brothers can ski anything steep, but the other brother is not ready for anything too challenging – the blacks at Taos were a bit much for him to be comfortable.

I'd say pretty even, with perhaps Taos being a touch stiffer. Rarely did I have surprise very-steep or technical skiing unless I was really looking for it.

· What makes First/Last Chance runs black-diamond level? They seem to mostly traverse the mountain, which usually indicates a modest slope.

They are basically catwalks that are ungroomed, flat, by lumpy skiiing down narrow paths where you need to carry speed. Not steep, but require a bit of attention. Probably really just black because you have to ski difficult terrain to access them.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
@Eddie S -- I'm a relatively newb but to save @Ron some typing ...

How is Pony Express area accessed if the PE lift is closed? From top of Storm Peak, I assume, but can runs be accessed from black runs (Crowtrack or The Ridge, for example) or only extreme runs such as the chutes? I am not an expert skier, so I avoid extreme terrain.

I could only figure out a way here via the "extreme" runs. Those runs vary a great deal in difficulty, from rock drop/cliff laced to just steep with loose trees. Christmas trees or East face are the easiest skis. You then still have to sort of know where the hike is off to the skiers right. For someone from CO in decent shape its a bit under 10min. Add some time if you're not used to altitude.

It's OK in my opinion, not great. Most the trees are skiable, but the pitch is relatively flat after the first bit which can suck if you get flatted out in the trees. Worth a run or two early, but don't get trapped back there after 10:30/11 as line gets long. However, if you want to access the peak / extreme terrain, it's the easiest way.

It didn't seem horrible, but definitely need to still pay attention around the coniferous stuff. I punched through a few times. As always, ski trees with friends if possible.

I'd say pretty even, with perhaps Taos being a touch stiffer. Rarely did I have surprise very-steep or technical skiing unless I was really looking for it.

They are basically catwalks that are ungroomed, flat, by lumpy skiiing down narrow paths where you need to carry speed. Not steep, but require a bit of attention. Probably really just black because you have to ski difficult terrain to access them.
Thank you, Jmeb! that is very helpful information, and I am very grateful to you.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
there's A reason why Pony isn't open yet...... So hopefully we can pick up and other 18-2' and I think most of the trees will be in good shape. Just a warning that there have been a lot of injuries in trees and off piste due to thin cover.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know Taos a lot better than Steamboat, but have had the pleasure of skiing the 'Boat over the years watching budding grandkid racers and having graduated one from the Steamboat Mountain School.

IMHO, some but not all of the blues at Steamboat would be green runs at Taos. Some, but not all of the blacks at Steamboat would be blues at Taos. (Maybe it's just this year, but the impression I get is that the 'Boat tends to groom more blacks than Taos, although that too may be changing under Mr. Bacon's tenure.) My other impression is that the Black runs at Steamboat vary a lot in difficulty from super mellow Morningside runs to giant bumps on short but attention getting Cyclone or Whiteout. So beware, just 'cause Valley View seemed like a piece of cake, doesn't mean you can ski Ridge without a problem.

The double blacks at both resorts are probably pretty similar. There are just a lot more of them at Taos.

I recall the Pony Express trees as being pretty mellow pitch but I'd follow @Ron's advice and stay out of there if there is a lot of dead-fall that needs covering up. I seem to recall in years past that it has an aspect that doesn't hold snow as well as other parts of the mountain.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Steamboat groomed a lot more of the blacks due to snow quality and to make more terrain accessible to more skiers. Typically, they don’t groom nearly as much. The trees in pony tend to be tighter ad. Quite a bit Steeper in certain areas. The mellow trees are in sunshine area. We are vertically challenged but we make up for that in fun Terran.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you, Ron and Jerez! Very helpful, indeed. Joel Gratz is forecasting more snow - at least modest amounts - between now and 2/1. I hope enough falls to make tree areas safer, but it looks like there is plenty of safe terrain open for a happy time.

Jerez, maybe I'll see you sometime at Taos - really love that place, but it's not worth the long drive right now.

Skicheryl

Skier
@Skicheryl we are getting some really nice snow including 3" last night and another storm coming in Thursday or Friday. That should really put the entire mountain in fantastic shape. For blue cruisers, look at Buddys Run (top of Some peak lift) first thing in the AM if its clear. Beautiful views and its a long rolling cruiser. I would also hit 4 points lift to Upper and lower Rainbow. You could also hit Cowboy coffee or Alarm clock on Morningside but the tops could be bumped up. Otherwise, on the lower mountain, Vagabond is also a good one. I don't think this weekend is supposed to be crowded but the key up here especially on weekends is to get up and out early. BTW- bumps are awesome :).

Ron thanks for the tips!

Reactions: Ron

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Will be in Steamboat Feb 4-8 with my wife. We are hoping the Super Bowl reduces the Sunday crowd a bit on our first day on snow. We would be delighted to ski with @Ron or buy him a beer. All the Steamboat intel on here has been great for trip planning. Upper intermediate groomer zoomers from VT are hoping we will be able to get off piste a little more than at Killington and other Max Pass mountains around here.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Green08 I will be skiing for sure. I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds. That's also Winter Carnival so unless its a uber deep day, locals won't be on the mountain.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Are there any Pugs skiing this AM? Great day please let me know
No, but drooled when I read Joel Gratz's Steamboat report this morning - hope we get some more for our visit there starting Thursday. Very glad you can enjoy it, Ron. Let us know how your day goes on the mountain - and if you think there is a chance that they'll spin Pony Express sometime soon.