• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can't understand why squaw is trying to attract Chinese skiers.
Selling condos, ok, makes sense.

But squaw is capacity constrained, and it has within a few hours the richest, fastest growing area of the world-the Bay area.

It would do better to concentrate on this logical market.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
As a US citizen I find the welcome whenever i fly back...ICEy, shall we say. For non-citizens it approaches the "other" N word.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Chinese skiers shun the US in favor of Canada, Japan & Europe, especially as few have experience of visiting the US pre-9/11 when things were far more relaxed and generally friendly at immigration.

I find US immigration outside of New York fine. Never have enough agents on the desks though and my experience may be coloured by a relatively frequent travel pattern including getting out of the country on a timely basis. Curiously after a totally legal and well papered stay in Canada in the past I've had more aggressive questioning there. [white dude English speaking caveat applies]. NYC is enough of a ballache that I would NEVER recommend that any international visits as a tourist.

Peskywabbit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can't understand why squaw is trying to attract Chinese skiers.
Selling condos, ok, makes sense.

But squaw is capacity constrained, and it has within a few hours the richest, fastest growing area of the world-the Bay area.

It would do better to concentrate on this logical market.

It isn't capacity constrained mid week, which is where the growth has always been. But i think your second sentence hit the nail on the head - selling condos.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used to hear the same about Japan... "there's snow there?" "Why go skiing in Japan, it's so far away." :roflmao:

Somehow your comment reminded me of Louis Zamperini, as told by Laura Hillenbrand in Unbroken, as a POW in Japan during WW II. The detailed description of snowfall in Aomori, northern end of Japan's main Honshu island, was quite remarkable. Since this was a best-seller, you may have this story buried on your bookshelf!

And four of the top ten snowiest cities (of decent sizes) in the world are in Japan.

https://www.indy100.com/article/the-10-snowiest-cities-in-the-world--lJNYCcDRig

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Shhhsssssssssssh! :nono:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm surprised at this.

I would have thought Moscow would have a lot of snow. But even Quebec City gets 3.15m (~10') of snow but Moscow must have got less than that.

Also, I thought Toronto got a lot of snow. But apparently not quite as much?

I grew up in Hamilton, Ontario, 40 miles from Toronto and 60miles from Buffalo, so I knew that Buffalo is in a snow belt, and Montreal gets way more snow than Toronto. I expected Montreal to be on that list as they probably have the most snow removal capacity of any major city in the world.

Saguenay, Quebec, with a population of 150k and Saint John's, Newfoundland/Labrador, population 200k, may or may not be considered decent size, depending on your perspective

Surprised to see Rochester and Syracuse on the list and throw in Buffalo and if I didn't know better I might think that New York State is the best place to ski in the USA.:eek:

Doesn't Denver get a lot of snow?

To me, it is a weird list.

Tony

tseeb
Skier

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
if I didn't know better I might think that New York State is the best place to ski in the USA.:eek:.
New York State IS the best place to ski...cross country ski, that is!

In fact, that's where my local nordic club usually goes a few times a winter.

gerathlete

Booting up
Skier
[QUOTE="RNZ, post: 140515, member:
Some potentially limiting things are out of KSL and regional area controls, namely first impressions. I think that it is fairly widely known that US immigration and border control is generally regarded as an unfriendly and unpleasant necessity. The flights from New Zealand that I have been on routinely seem to land at similar times to flights from China, so we end up in that long immigration queue at the same time. Without exception I have cringed every time at the way passengers from those flights are treated. If I think I get a surly welcome I don't know how I would describe their experience [/QUOTE]

The behaviour of Homeland Security personnel at US airports is becoming a real problem. After nearly 20 years skiing in the US, generally for a month each trip, we have decided not to return after a most unpleasant experience at SFO. Next years ski holiday will be in Japan where we know we will receive a courteous welcome. Australians are the largest group of international skiers visiting the US and if our experience is anything to go by, then some of that group could like us take their business elsewhere

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Just stay out of the Niseko bars on Australia Day !!! :eek:

gerathlete

Booting up
Skier
I know what you mean about Australians in Niseko, but understand that there is strong competition now from both Russian and Chinese skiers. Didn't find the skiing that interesting in Niseko although the après ski is better than most other Japanese ski areas but nowadays we prefer the quieter areas with less gaijin.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Oh, don't get me started on the Russians :doh:
The Aussies are the "best" part of JapanSki internationalization (and it's only a few, that one night a season, who are truly annoying).
Kinda wish they hadn't been quite so eager to spread the word to Europe & N.America, though. We had a nice thing going there for a while.
All you furriners get off my lawn!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Your immigration process more than makes up for the few bogans...

Sponsor

Staff online