• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
My wife works for a local university and her spring break is mid March. We were thinking of taking a trip to Colorado to ski the Epic resorts. We haven't skied in Colorado so I was wondering if it was worth the trip at this time of the year both condition wise and crowds. I will probably ski 4 days and my wife would ski 2. I'm an intermediate skier, while she is more of a beginner, content cruising greens. Any suggestions (good/affordable places to stay? things to do for the wife when she isn't skiing) would be appreciated! Thanks!

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
Great time of year to go. I think the cheapest option is to stay in Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne and drive to either Breck/Copper/Keystone. Of those three I have done Copper and Keystone. I liked Keystone a bit better, but admittedly did not see a ton of Copper and the conditions weren't great when I was there. Definitely both Copper and Keystone are intermediate/beginner friendly. There are lots of things to do in those areas that aren't ski related.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Best conditions of the year, typically, also the biggest crowds of the year, typically. So it's a trade off, given your criteria of conditions and crowds. I have never failed to have fun skiing Colorado in March, but then as long as the lifts are spinning I'm pretty easy to please.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The biggest crowds in Colorado are right after Christmas. Since spring break is spread out, you will likely be ok skiing the Epic resorts mid-week, although weekends might be a bit crowded. The further away from Denver the better off you'll be, so Beaver Creek and Vail would be the best choices for crowds. You should check into lodging rates; most likely the best bets, price wise, are as were suggested above: Frisco/Silverthorne/Dillon. The Epic Pass resorts that would correspond would be Breckenridge, Keystone, and A-Basin, of which Breckenridge and Keystone would be best for intermediate skiers.

Mike

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Copper is way better than Keystone - highly recommend checking that mountain out. Great terrain, including high alpine terrain for intermediates on up to expert, free cat skiing, some steeps and great views.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Copper has the advantage of "skill segregation": the greens are all on the right side of the mountain, blues in the middle and black on the left. So there's no worry about being buzzed by advanced skiers bee lining to the lift. But that could also be a disadvantage if the two of you are of different skill level. You can't just take different trails and meet back at the lift.

I like Breckenridge better than Keystone. The former always seems to have better condition.

Don't forget Vail and Beaver Creek. I can't speak for beginner terrain. But I went to Vail/BC first as an intermediate and I was totally blown away.

Yes, March is the best time of the season.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper has the advantage of "skill segregation": the greens are all on the right side of the mountain, blues in the middle and black on the left. So there's no worry about being buzzed by advanced skiers bee lining to the lift. But that could also be a disadvantage if the two of you are of different skill level. You can't just take different trails and meet back at the lift.

I like Breckenridge better than Keystone. The former always seems to have better condition.

Don't forget Vail and Beaver Creek. I can't speak for beginner terrain. But I went to Vail/BC first as an intermediate and I was totally blown away.

Yes, March is the best time of the season.
In your opinion how late will Copper stay open? Looking at a weeknd in April.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
In your opinion how late will Copper stay open? Looking at a weeknd in April.
"Usually", "in a normal year", Copper stay open till late April

But this isn't a "normal year". Bases are way lower than usual. So it's really a matter of how long the snow will last. The good news is, March and April "typically" see more new snow falls. But then again, that's for a normal year. This year? "it's hard to tell", according to my friend at Copper.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So the tentative answer to the question is April 15th. The real question is what runs will be open until April 15th. What runs are you looking to ski in April? I would add both Luv and Abasin as possible considerations.

Actually I would also add MJ. Almost forgot how great the skiing was there end of last season. They got a couple of storms in April and it was really good.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never been. I have a Max Pass and was looking for amseason ender with a couple of days at Copper and WP/MJ. I am an Advanced intermediate so not looking for out of bounds or bac country. Thanks for the info.

TS
K

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
Flight is booked! Now more questions.

How are the accommodations near Keystone? I got an email from Epic Pass Club advertising 40% of lodging. It ends up being cheaper than Air BnB or VRBO in Frisco / Dillon area. Also - any recommendations for back bowls for intermediate skiers? From what I can tell, Vail and Keystone probably fit that category? Thanks again for the suggestions

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Kcip you mentioned "Epic resorts" in your OP. Note that Copper is not one of them, though I agree it would be a good resort for you and your wife. Just wanted to make sure realized that, in case you are somehow limited to the Epic resorts. (Of the Summit and Eagle county resorts, Copper and Loveland are not part of Epic. Keystone, Breck, A-Basin, Vail, and Beaver Creek are.)

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nothing wrong with Keystone lodging if the price is right. And Keystone has very good intermediate and novice terrain which you asked about in your first post. As to intermediate bowls, not so much. For that, Breck is the place, particularly Peak 6.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Last season the cheapest (quality) lodging I could find was in Keystone. That was the first week of April in the River Run Village. The main village was like a ghost town at that point.

Now I am not a fan of Keystone but we stayed there and hit Vail for a day, Breckenridge mostly and A-Basin. We never did ski Keystone.

In mid-March you are hitting the areas at a VERY BUSY time. It's Spring break. Be prepared for lift lines. The days you are skiing alone you should do well in the singles lanes. In general if you get out of the base early (like when it opens) you can get few hours of decent skiing in before the crowds hit. Lots of times at that point you can head back to the base and still get on a lift with a reasonable line. Just don't try that approach at Peak 8 in Breckenridge. Once you get out of the base there, stay out of the base area.

Breckenridge is great walking town with lots of shops and places to eat in most all price ranges. (don't miss the doughnut shop on the right as you come into town.) You both will probably find the town interesting. Vail also has a walking (and great mass transit ) village. Some like it, some revolted by it. I go just to watch people there.

Have fun.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never been out during “Spring break” but i always thought Presidents’ Day weekend was the busiest? Unlike Spring break, it is a set day for everyone in the US.

That being so, even during Presidents’ Day I have usualy found that once you are up out of the base area, the lift lines have been fine. The other thing to consider is taking a lesson on the busiest days, since lessons bypass the lift lines (at least at the resorts where I have been).

If you don’t need an Epic resort, Copper actually has a green run starting from the alpine ridge terrain, so same views as the bowls.

TS
K

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
I ended up finding a place in Breckenridge. It wasn't the least expensive option, but it's close to main street and my wife will appreciate having more things to do while I'm skiing.

I have an Epic Pass, so that was the main reason for sticking with the Vail properties.

Thanks for the info everyone!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Kcip not sure when your trip is, but it's worth noting spring break is the last week of March 2018 for every school district I know of on the front range. That's a ton of Epic Pass families that will be looking to ski. This year could be particularly crowded since the conditions are good after a slow start to the season.

I'd think about heading to Beaver Creek, especially if you are skiing any weekend days. The other strategy is to get out for first lift even when there is no new snow. You have a head start staying on the mountain over the many Denver day trippers, use it! In addition to being less crowded, you'll have the best groomer conditions of the day.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never been. I have a Max Pass and was looking for amseason ender with a couple of days at Copper and WP/MJ. I am an Advanced intermediate so not looking for out of bounds or bac country. Thanks for the info.
Conditions at both WP/MJ and Copper should be good if not great the first couple weeks of April. Some amount of terrain will likely be closed, usually due to lack of skiers, not snow. For an advanced intermediate there should be plenty.

Closing weekend at Copper is a blast with free concerts. They haven't announced the lineup yet but will at some point here:
http://www.coppercolorado.com/things-to-do/events/april-events/sunsation

The concerts usually look something like this:

sunsation_web.jpg

With a little luck, the skiing will look like this. :D

Sponsor

Staff online