• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
fullsizeoutput_6016.jpeg
We are usually pretty good at sniffing out exceptional products: you might recall a little ski company named “Renoun.” Well, another company contacted us in a similar fashion, asking us to review its product and help create awareness. First of all, we’re getting these requests more and more, and quite frankly we have to be more selective. Second, the product needs to have some redeeming characteristics. Well, Sport Optics Labs goggles do: a full spherical goggle for the super-low price of $39.99. These are not just any inexpensive goggles; they are pretty damn good inexpensive goggles for, again, thirty-nine ninety-nine…. and in late-night informercial (or now Facebook ad) form, Wait, there's more! If you order now, you also get a microfibre cleaning rag, a nice hardshell case and free shipping!
IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1719.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1714.JPG

Yes, it is easy to dismiss inexpensive goggles, something we in the industry usually do quickly because we are talking about not just an accessory, but a piece of gear that is designed to protect our eyes in inclement weather and from the sun. Most of the entry-level goggles in this price point have a flat, single, nonspherical, non-UV lens and don’t work well over glasses (OTG). Many cost $69 to $129 and at the lower range look like oversized kiddie goggles. Sport Optics Labs is offering a stylish alternative to such goggles with its X3, a goggle that not only looks sharp but performs very well -- and for half the price of many entry-level goggles.
IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1716.JPG

Now, let me get the shortcomings out of the way: the band does not have a silicon bead, which would be nice, since many times goggles are put on the top of the helmet and can (and will) slide off. The strap could be a bit longer, it is snug on some helmets. Finally, the clips could be slightly better designed because most helmets have a clip dead center in the back of the helmet. With those minor negatives, I still remind myself that these goggles cost $39.99.
IMG_1610.JPG

@Andy Mink wearing them as an O.T.G. (Over The Glass)​

On the snow, I first let @Andy Mink put the X3 Black/Yellow Revo through its paces since he wears glasses and wanted to see how they worked as an OTG, a feature that is not mentioned anywhere on the site. Andy used them for a couple of days over his larger-than-average prescription glasses and felt that they were comfortable. I will have Andy add more of his experiences.
IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1717.JPG

No, these are not $200+ goggles, and they don’t claim to be. No, Sport Optics Labs doesn’t play the game that they are selling $400 goggles at 90% off. No, the X3 doesn’t have replaceable or interchangeable lenses (heck, the whole pair with case costs less than most extra lenses). What they are, are inexpensive, well-built goggles that cost less than a nice lunch at most ski resorts and still leave you enough change to buy beer at après. People complain that skiing is an expensive sport and, sure, it can be, but here is a way to save (more than) a couple of bucks.
IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1715.JPG

Now it was my turn. I took out the X3 on the day where visibility went from bright light to snow and fog so thick that would have given a full-pedigree Yeti vertigo -- and then back to bright sun again. This happened not as the day went on, but multiple times in the course of one run. The flat light was so bad it would have challenged even the the most expensive low-light lenses. The X3 performed admirably in this extreme range, especially considering that I usually gravitate to a lighter lens whenever possible. In the range of conditions, this goggle was fantastic and performed well above its uber-modest price point.

The VLT (visible light transmission) percentages are as follows:​
  • Smoke: 8%
  • Red Revo: 10%
  • Yellow Revo: 9%
  • Umber: 48%
I have a pair of the Smoke, which is the darkest of the offerings. Since I like a lens that lets in more light, if someone in the Tahoe Basin who likes a darker lens wants to spend some time in these and write a review, please contact me.
  • Who are they for? The price conscious (these really are a fantastic value), or someone looking for an OTG goggle that fits well and does not look like a movie theater screen on their face.
  • Who are they not for? Brand snobs. Don’t worry, many name brands out there will be happy to sell you goggles that cost many times more, even on sale, and do not perform as well.
  • Insider tip: For this price, buy an extra pair or two just to have around.

https://www.sportopticslabs.com

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After using the X3 goggles I was pretty impressed. There was no noticeable distortion from edge to edge or top to bottom. I hadn't used a spherical google before but do know that even mid range binoculars and spotting scopes can fall prey to a fuzz or distortion around the edges. Not so here. They fit quite nicely over both my prescription sun glasses and my somewhat wide frame regular glasses. The cut out in the foam was ample for even thicker temples. Even though the cut out was large I didn't notice any wind or snow intrusion. As @Philpug mentioned, the strap could be about an inch longer. I had it adjusted to its full length to go over my large helmet and it was starting to get snug on my face. An XL helmet might cause it to move into the realm of uncomfortable across the bridge of your nose. The goggles did sit a little snug across the lower bridge of my nose but not too bad. A longer strap would probably alleviate that pressure.

Make no mistake, these are full size goggles. They offer great peripheral vision but might be tight in a smaller helmet. Perhaps @Tricia can give them a try in her smaller helmet to see how they fit. The way the adjuster works does put it in the middle of the back of the helmet when fully lengthened. That might pose a problem depending on how the helmet is set up to hold the goggles.

HOWEVER- for the $39.99 asking price these are definitely worth the cost of admission. The optical quality and overall comfort far outweigh the few little detractions, at least in my mind. Throw in the really nice hard case that comes with the goggles and you have a winner. They would be fine as an every day or a backup pair of goggles. At the price point, you can get all four colors for less than the cost of a high end, name brand pair of goggles. Great job, Sports Optics Labs!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are they only offering the one frame size at this time?
At that price, they'd be a stellar option for small children, or overgrown adults, who tend to not take very good care of their eyewear in particular.
Great reviews, BTW!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
At that price, they'd be a stellar option for small children, or overgrown adults, who tend to not take very good care of their eyewear in particular.
Great reviews, BTW!
According to their site they have only the one size. https://www.sportopticslabs.com

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great reviews, BTW!
One frame size for now...I believe they are working on getting a smaller one for the future. I have been using the Yellow Revo exclusively for the past 6 days and in the varied light, they have been fantastic.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a huge pundit of high-priced goggles. While often you get what you pay for, if you ski Mt. Hood, you have to scrape rime off your low-light lens a lot, or go home on many days.

Because of this, one lens every season is demolished. Sometime two -- hello Mr. Amazing 2016/17 season!

I'd buy two pair of these the second they chime in here and say "BTW, we've lengthened the straps".

Thanks for sniffing out the good stuff, @Philpug.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I'm sure these are decent, but I think the comparison to Renoun is very misguided. This looks like another company selling the same generic Chinese made goggles that have been showing up online over the past few years. They have no input in the design beyond putting their logo on it. They look identical to these 'Gonex' branded ones on Amazon for $21 (29.99 - 30% coupon on the page) which also include the case and cloth. https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Oversized-Protection-Frameless-Spherical/dp/B0758C3WJ5

In fact, you can probably find the manufacturer on AliBaba, and if you order enough units you can get custom pugski goggles added to the swag options.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great reviews, BTW!
I have not tested these goggles because they are too big for my face. We have asked if they have anything in a different size.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm sure these are decent, but I think the comparison to Renoun is very misguided. This looks like another company selling the same generic Chinese made goggles that have been showing up online over the past few years.
My comparison to Renoun was how they reached out to us to create awareness. Yes, it looks like there are sourced from a company that gets from China. Where people buy from is absolutely their choice be it from Amazon's market or from someone like Sport Optics Labs who is trying to get their foot into the industry and needed a place to start and seed their endevor by reaching out in the industry and not just flipping a product for pennies on the dollar. This can be viewed as a "Buy Local" opportunity.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would be interested to see/hear the results of a low/flat light test.

From my initial review:
Now it was my turn. I took out the X3 on the day where visibility went from bright light to snow and fog so thick that would have given a full-pedigree Yeti vertigo -- and then back to bright sun again.
I will stop the best day of skiing for flat light...I just cannot seel well when there is nothing to see. I know, what you can't see, you will feel but I do draw the line. The Yellow Revo lens I used worked as well as any low light Hi-Def Yellow or Smith Sensor that I have used in the past. I never felt their was a lens I would rather have had skiing the milk bottle I was on the low light day. I was seriously impressed.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my biggest concerns with goggles is size that does not block my peripheral vision. These are definitely large enough for me in that field. The fact that it only comes in the one size does automatically shrink the market.

I would echo some of the pros and cons of this goggle that others have posted. Some type of anti-slip on the strap would be nice. The google strap is opened to the fullest to fit over my helmet and the clip does not hit center. They do however have a clear, undistorted lens.
One of the main drawbacks for me on the X3 is their over the glasses(OTG) feature. On a cold day I do not like to feel the wind blowing through my goggles, even a little bit, and I can feel a nice draft through the sides of these goggles.
My favorite goggles are my Smith I/OX. It’s probably not a fair comparison but I wouldn’t give up my I/OX for these X3s.
While I don’t think the X3 really compares to top tier goggles, I do think they are still quite relevant. I did like that I could use my glove to wipe off a bit of ice without fear of damaging an expensive lens. The fact that their overall optic quality is high and their price point is low makes them a great google for some.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
One frame size for now...I believe they are working on getting a smaller one for the future. I have been using the Yellow Revo exclusively for the past 6 days and in the varied light, they have been fantastic.
I just bought them in yellow off of Ebay for $22.95 with free shipping based on these good reviews.

Sponsor