• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spooking Deer

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Santa needs reindeer and I found em!

(Apologies for my singing and image quality, a modern GoPro for Christmas perhaps?)

Last edited:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I do the same thing to coyotes at night, I ride with no lights and really scare the hell out of 'em.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hit a deer on my road bike doing about 40 downhill. Blood everywhere (most but not all mine) and it destroyed the bike. I'm terrified of the darn creatures now.

Cue "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".

Eric

apache

Booting up
Inactive
I hit a deer on my road bike doing about 40 downhill. Blood everywhere (most but not all mine) and it destroyed the bike. I'm terrified of the darn creatures now.

Cue "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".

Eric
Deer are a real problem where I ride here in Jersey. They are like squirrels: they run out at the last moment. And it always seems to be on the downhills. :eek:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Eleeski I've also spooked deer on road bike. Fortunately for me, it was flat to up hill and still had 10ft of clearance, so no crash. I can't (and don't want to) imagine the experience of a 40mph downhill crash, much less involving a deer. Wow.

So, seems like the question for us road cyclists, what's more dangerous, deers or cars/trucks?

I typically ride fairly early to avoid cars, and have counted deer and other animals as bonus on the rides. I'm voting cars for now.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re bikes and crashes....in my neck of the woods, I'm also terrified of turkeys. They've gotten really common, and a flock will sometimes wander across the road. They mostly walk, but can burst into flight when they're scared.

A good friend of mine hit a deer on his motorcycle. Broken collar bone and arm, major trauma, lots of deep bruising, and perhaps concussion. Not pretty at all.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@EleeskiSo, seems like the question for us road cyclists, what's more dangerous, deers or cars/trucks?

I typically ride fairly early to avoid cars, and have counted deer and other animals as bonus on the rides. I'm voting cars for now.

Cars! If they aren't completely oblivious and don't see you after making eye contact, they are actively trying to run you over, I ride expecting every car (and deer now) will try to kill me.

Eric

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've once had a close call with a deer on roller skis. The thing about roller skis is thats it's very hard to slow down, at least for beginners like me. Was just letting go down a steep hill and then saw the deer coming out of the forest to cross the path at the bottom. Calculated that this was going be close. My only thougth was that if I'm going down on the pavement then at least I'm going to hit the damn deer first. Not by panicing and then have a clumsy fall without beeing close to the deer.... So I braked as much as I could while staying in control and the deer crossed the path just in front of me.

Need to work on my braking technique. Brynteson would have no problems:

Oppps: A bit out of topic in the biking forum

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January