• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shots on goal, time in attacking zone, they controlled the pace and seemed to dictate the game. Mind you I only started watching part way through the 2nd. But it looked like the US created better and more scoring opportunities while Canada just couldn't setup a cycle or any real offence.

Was strange to see as I'm used to seeing Canada control the play a lot more. Especially near the end as the Canadian girls just looked gassed and couldn't do anything with turnovers and they were too tired to make anything happen (lots of 1vs 3 while rest of team changed).

Lots of skating, little production.

Baldrick

Booting up
Skier
eight_col_Nico_twitter.jpg

16 years 91 days old - scores a 94.8 and gets a bronze!

And we got 4th as well.

And two hours earlier, another of our young team (also 16) got the bronze in the big air

Zoi+Sadowski+Synnott+FIS+Freestyle+Ski+Snowboard+rG6FcAE0jcAl.jpg

Big day here

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
I’m wondering what coaches tell Shiffrin between runs and what technicians do with her boot set up between runs (particularly in the combined , but also during the slalom event ) Obviously nothing . She had the potential to win at least 3 gold medals. It’s a kind of a deception especially after the last night performance what happened to her on these olympiques. The GS gold gives her little comfort.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grittiest performance on a hockey rink in a LONG time. Go USA Women!!!!

US women's XC relay...GOLD! Holy cow what a finish by Jesse Diggins.

As a Minnesota native, with a best friend born and raised in Alaska, it doesn't get any better than the Diggins/Randall gold!

David wise with halfpipe gold medal! Father of 2 and resident of Reno!

Reno! Reno! Reno!

Extra medal for clutch performance in the entire Oly Games?! Three runs allowed. Only the best counts. Pre-releases on the first two, then sends it HUGE on the third. Astonishing!

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
The US girls did look like they wanted it more and outplayed our Canadian team.
Well deserved.
After 20 years of Canadian domination it was about time! And I'm glad it happened.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Shots on goal, time in attacking zone, they controlled the pace and seemed to dictate the game. Mind you I only started watching part way through the 2nd. But it looked like the US created better and more scoring opportunities while Canada just couldn't setup a cycle or any real offence.

Was strange to see as I'm used to seeing Canada control the play a lot more. Especially near the end as the Canadian girls just looked gassed and couldn't do anything with turnovers and they were too tired to make anything happen (lots of 1vs 3 while rest of team changed).

Lots of skating, little production.

That's what I noticed most of all. I still assumed they would find a way to break our hearts again, though, and they almost did. Not sure if 20 min of 4-v-4 OT on big ice is such a good idea.

Couple of those shootout goals were siiiiiick!

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was expecting more out of Lindsey Vonn. I am a fan of her skiing and think that she is one of the toughest, most determined competitors of all time. She was under intense pressure to perform in the DH and skied very well to her Bronze medal. I think that it's an amazing performance given the circumstances. She proved (once again) the next day that she is the best women's downhiller in the world. Goggia would not have beaten her. I know that she was extremely emotional about the entire Olympic buildup and her back story of a complicated family situation layered on top of her long litany of injuries. But she should have been able to carry herself in a more professional manner in her after race interviews and comments. I compare her with other athletes who have come up a bit short in their events and have been gracious, humble, and professional in their post event comments under equally trying circumstances. No whining about gusts of wind (everybody had to deal with the conditions on the hill), no putting the blame on equipment (everyone skied the same course, on the same snow, and dealt with base burn). I expected her to take the high road. She is the greatest female ski racer of all time. She is supposed to be the poster child for what it takes to pursue greatness. She is supposed to inspire young ski racers to be like her. I think that she has been a leader on the US speed team and the great results that the other US speed racers have had this year are testimony to that leadership. But when it was time to be a leader in the media spotlight, she melted into a blubbering mess. Obviously an emotional dam burst for her and tears of joy, relief, love, and frustration are to be expected. I just feel that she missed an opportunity to be above the moment and manage her emotions until a time when she could let everything out. Doing all that is probably harder than racing down the mountain. A hearty congratulations on a terrific result. There is no question that (barring injury) she will cruise past Stenmark's WC win total before she hangs them up as the greatest ski racer ever.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I was expecting more out of Lindsey Vonn. I am a fan of her skiing and think that she is one of the toughest, most determined competitors of all time. She was under intense pressure to perform in the DH and skied very well to her Bronze medal. I think that it's an amazing performance given the circumstances. She proved (once again) the next day that she is the best women's downhiller in the world. Goggia would not have beaten her. I know that she was extremely emotional about the entire Olympic buildup and her back story of a complicated family situation layered on top of her long litany of injuries. But she should have been able to carry herself in a more professional manner in her after race interviews and comments.

She could have made excuses and tossed her tech under the bus for giving her a shitty grind/wax for the snow. Nope, she chalked it up to her not having all the pieces together to win and the others having great runs. How could she not be emotional staring down what is likely to be her last Olympics after a hell of a career and four chances at the big show to compete for her country? The crying wasn't about it only being a Bronze, it was that she was closing a chapter of her life as her body ages.

As pointed out earlier, she's changed. I didn't care for the human behind the performances four or five years ago, she seemed cold, self absorbed and a primadonna. Today she seems a whole lot more introspective and thankful for her life and the people around her that got her there. To me, she now embodies what you want to see as a role model in any sport, and she still kicks ass while doing it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just wondering - has anyone else noticed that Ragnhild Mowinckel of Norway won silver in both the GS and the Downhill and finished 4th in the Combined?!
RagMow has been skiing well all season but she was on fire for the Olympics! Almost wish she had medaled in the combined but it would’ve upset the fact that my top 3 picks in the prediction thread all came through ;) . I think that if the SL had been a bit longer, Shiffrin would’ve won.

Shout out to @Swede for the 2 SL golds!!!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
All entitled to our opinions.....most based on what we see on TV cuts, or read in the largely uniformed mainstream press.
I may be a bit closer to this, relative to others. Three years ago, I was incredibly disappointed with her, in general. Mainly because she was pouring energy into "her brand", doing the S.I. bathing suit issue, trying to develop a beach and runway body, spending a lot of time in LA {to the point of buying a home there.} In general there was no camera that she didn't like. She spent less time in the gym, I hear, than ever, and less time in the summer on snow. It basically turned around after she broke her arm. And when this past spring and summer arrived with the reality of this being nearer the end of her career, I hear {from people working with her} that she was not only all in, but has never worked harder. With a few breaks in time, again, what I hear, from coaches all over the world is that nobody works harder. MS, gives us the "dual threat", as nobody spends more time on snow than she does. But not many spend 6-8 hours a day in the gym.....

So, when she says "I worked my butt off", I will cut her some slack. She could have said that "I work harder than anybody in this sport, because I am NOT a great natural athlete, and I have been doing it longer than anybody in the sport", and she would have been 100% accurate. But she did not. Not close.

The comment that everybody had the same wind, visibility, etc. to deal with is not really accurate. It hurt some, it helped others. Having a swirling wind on your tail at the right time is good. In your face, not so much. Is it wrong to say "I had some wind?" Is it wrong to explain how running #1 in the SG was no bargain? That format is stupid, and likely to change, BTW. Your #14 raked racer should nt be favored over #9 and #10.......Dumb.

The skis. OK, believe it or not, but her skis on race day were the deciding factor, and while she did not point any fingers or pitch a fit {as MANY others would have}, is it wrong to say that he skis were burned. She didn't blame her tech, or throw him under the bus. She did say that she was proud of her younger teammates. She honestly is a good friend and a big sister type to Sofia Goggia. She's a big influence on Alice McKennis, and all of the USA speed girls. BTW, nobody treated her the same when she was coming up. But here's the "acid test" on her skis. No chance on earth that the other skiers on Head, including the other two from the USA would have been that close, when she skied cleanly. She has earned the right to have the best prepped and fastest skis under her feet. The surface and conditions were very screwy. The whole ski world is saying so. Whatever was done to prep her skis, in terms of the structure and the wax/overlays........the skis were cooked about 15 seconds into her run. Any woman racer that I know {and I know "a few"} would have likely been off the wall. Let alone the best ever, in her last olympics. She may have said "yeah, my skis got burned and it cost me." The S*** that's going down away from her on this is far worse.

So, NO, not everybody dealt with base burn to that degree. Some companies evidently had remarkably little. Some Head skiers had very little, or none. Did her skis run well in the combined speed run {her terms were that they felt "good", "they were accelerating"}? Yes. Did they suck in the DH? Yep. Did everybody else's? No. Some no doubt. Just look at the USA and other Head results. So was her statement that bad?

We make a lot of judgements about people that we see in the public light. We all do. I can absolutely understand why many people might not "like" LV at all, and might be put off by her. I get it. A few years ago, I was at an event where some younger mothers were talking about what a great role model LV was. At that time, pretty sure that would be a no. Today, I'd say yes. Saw her in Aspen in late December and she was awesome. Just incredible with kids. Loving her being on snow.

Same thing with MS. "Such a delight and great role model." Based on........? People's direct inside knowledge? People who know her just might have a few more interesting views about Team S.

LV is far, far from perfect. No question. For those who have known her and seen a lot of her for 25+ years, that's obvious. But, I really can't take issue with her statement that she worked her butt off, given the realities. I can't take issue with her comments on the ski, though I might not have posted the picture on Twitter.

She's not in the same position of any other other female ski racer at the games, and yes she is no doubt very disappointed. Maybe I missed some of what the rest of you are so critical about. I've heard from a number of people there, and pretty damn close to her in proximity, that she's been great to everybody she meets. Incredibly supportive to her teammates {male and female}, very gracious and friendly with the other women. Heck, look at the blast she had at the opening ceremonies. Ohh, other big name alpine racers? Largely too important to be there. Maybe MS had to nap.

It was pointed out to me that the world expected her to win the DH, and likely the SG. This whole "thing" with the US Press, and NBC
naming clear and prohibitive favorites, virus the subtle change of saying that she is one of he top favorites expected to contend, is a big one. The questions being asked of her were in some cases pretty pointed, including ones that we were not shown. Same thing with MS after her SL. No doubt there are pople who think that both KV and MS choked in the combined. Won a silver and choked. Insane.

OK....."Why didn't you win?" I think she handled it pretty well. Producer into ear of reporter "Get at her grandfather......get some emotion and tears." I would bet that was going on.

I know too much about this sport, and about too many of the people. I love sports, but my wife and I are pretty tired of the Olympics. Even on some small details that NBC persists in getting wrong. Nothing that effects LV. But things that do affect other friends of ours. I'm very glad to not be there. Everybody who's there because of the skiing is just exhausted...fried. This was a lousy pick for alpine racing.

I think LV did pretty well. Guess others hold her to a higher standard. I recall hearing an Italian skier official presenting her with a medal and trophy and telling her that she would be the best ski racer in the world......when she was 12. Been a long road.

Her competitors like her. They pretty much couldn't stand Mancuso, and they all think that MS is a bit strange {though a to better and more mature these days in many ways.......just odd on race days and on the hill}. That's bigger acid test to me than what most of us think we know.

I'm not discussing any more about her in public. Can't. Let's say that my opinions differ from many others here, I guess. All good, I hope!

Last edited:

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
She could have made excuses and tossed her tech under the bus for giving her a shitty grind/wax for the snow. Nope, she chalked it up to her not having all the pieces together to win and the others having great runs. How could she not be emotional staring down what is likely to be her last Olympics after a hell of a career and four chances at the big show to compete for her country? The crying wasn't about it only being a Bronze, it was that she was closing a chapter of her life as her body ages.

As pointed out earlier, she's changed. I didn't care for the human behind the performances four or five years ago, she seemed cold, self absorbed and a primadonna. Today she seems a whole lot more introspective and thankful for her life and the people around her that got her there. To me, she now embodies what you want to see as a role model in any sport, and she still kicks ass while doing it.

This. I too had never warmed up to Vonn, but this past year she's become the champion she was meant to be. And this is only partly about athletic performance: it's also about outlook on life, behavior. I don't have particular intel on that, but she's also seemed more willing to act as a mentor to others on the team. Federer also grew from a brat into a champion (and he also cries after both victories and defeats -- there's no shame in that!). Maybe Kristoffersen will wise up ;)

Sponsor