• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
We need a dedicated thread.
EDIT:
Go ahead and post live results in this thread. do not read this thread if you don't want to know. It is simply too complicated between NBC's broadcast prime time, posters living From Australia/NZ, Japan, to the PNW, and the ability to live stream.

Note, PyeongChang is 14 hrs ahead of US Eastern Time. So, a 10:00am start in Korea is 8pm ET, 7 CT, 6MT, 5PT the previous day.

So, shackles are off! Post results!

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you notice the Kästle branding on the Austrian luge sleds? Interesting.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20180211_225416.png

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
None of the below are my sports but enjoyed watching.

Yesterday on the NBCSN Watched Red Gerard win men's slopestyle. Twist, turn, rotations are so incredible in this era that I could only appreciate what was happening in slow mo. Very impressed, cool young dude too haha.

Then today on NBCSN watched Jamie Anderson, Sochi gold medal winner, also win women's slopestyle gold again though only the first run was legit. Almost all competitors on second runs got blown out into falls during the lower big air tricks due to the high winds. Great an American won but a sad shame all those athletes training for months and years ended up having to compete in an event where they were way up flying in the air in terrible conditions that should have joined the other cancellations. From where I've been skiing in South Lake Tahoe so maybe will see her some time. (2 pretty face I envy your bf)

And watched Chris Mazdzer take the silver in the luge on NBCSN, the first ever USA medal in that sport. He and his considerable numbers of supporters he brought to watch him in the stand went deliriously wild. What a great feeling for such a great group of people. Makes one proud to be USA.

Didn't catch the live women's moguls at 4am like Tricia but did catch the delay in the afternoon. Love all those women bump skiers, your all awesome and beautiful! And plan to set my alarm on tonight for the same time men's moguls (hey nice to be retired now haha!). Commentator Jonny u b 2 gud behind the mic, like it.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Did you notice the Kästle branding on the Austrian luge sleds? Interesting.
Yep, saw that.
Wow, what a day for Chris Mazder. First US men's medal in luge ever.
Chloe Kim rocked it in half pipe qualifying. 1/2 the age of Kelly Clark who's in her 5th Olympics at 34 and wualified for the final.
Red Gerard is painful to listen to but threw it down for gold.

Wow in figure skating. Many great performances. The Russian women are another level. Medvedeva set a new record in scoring, and the 15 year old Zagitova does the hardest jumps all in the second half.
Mirai Nagasu becomes first US woman to land a triole axel in Olympics.

Meanwhile, things are looking good for Mikaela as she's training and sleeping.
------------
“It’s a bummer that we’re not able to race today," she said. "But with the training block I’ve had, I’m prepared and feeling good.

“I’ll use this time to continue to train and re-focus on Wednesday’s slalom race. We have a great gym and space to eat and take plenty of naps, so I’ll use this time to recharge.”
-------------------
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/abrahamson-no-race-yet-shiffrin-no-problem

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Can't you just make the entire thread "may contain spoilers" - so any discussion is fair game?

Wind and cold seems to be the main story of the games so far, postponements are playing havoc with my predictions picks though Jamie Anderson brought me in another gold today.

thomas

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Probably not something many of you watched, but the qualifying round for the women's short-track speed skating relay was pretty unreal (I was watching because I am in Korea and speed skating is kind of their thing). One of the Korean girls fell when she was setting up to push the next skater. Normally a fall would be the end of the race - the Koreans not only came back to qualify for the finals, but they set an Olympic record in the process. The Chinese then broke that record in the next qualifier. Crazy, and should make an exciting finals.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Can't you just make the entire thread "may contain spoilers" - so any discussion is fair game?
That may be a good idea. I assume you mean no one uses the spoiler feature to post results. Seems as if NBC has changed when they're showing some skiing-from live to not live. So that affects time zones.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I watched some of he mixed doubles curling. Still haven't figured out the scoring. I'm fine with calling them competitors, but athletes?

Delays good for "Sir Naps a Lot"

----------
The 2014 Olympic slalom champion sleeps a lot. She goes to bed at 9 p.m., and wakes up around 10 hours later at 7 a.m. Impressive, considering a 2013 Gallop poll found that just 5 percent of Americans sleep nine hours or more per night.

She also supplements her nightly slumber with a daily nap.

During an appearance on “Late Night with Seth Meyers,” Shiffrin admitted that she occasionally falls asleep on ski lifts. One time she failed to wake up at the top, and had to ride down the mountain while still sitting on the ski lift.
---------------
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-mikaela-shiffrin-earned-nickname-sir-naps-lot

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
We need a dedicated thread. I'd say that spoilers shouldn't be necessary after prime time broadcast. I guess that means Pacific time though, so 3 hrs after ET.
[/MEDIA]

We definitely need one:we have this one, @Tricia 's and @Bart Parnell 's Predictions one. We are trying to keep up in all three places. I am planning on merging all three in a couple hours, unless I hear otherwise. Makes sense?

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
We definitely need one:we have this one, @Tricia 's and @Bart Parnell 's Predictions one. We are trying to keep up in all three places. I am planning on merging all three in a couple hours, unless I hear otherwise. Makes sense?
How to watch should be separate?Otherwise how you actually find something gets lost.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
8:30am PST now and men's moguls just ended on NBCSN. Had been up at 5am but they had hockey on then women's luge so was wondering if the moguls had been cancelled? Due to the always better video camera work in each succeeding Olympics, was easily the best ever for a viewer with excellent clarity of the skiing. Showed second qualifying round, the sub-finals round down to 12, and then the final 6 with some of that on delay so they could present the whole sequence in one long tv period. At least 3 major crashes or blow outs that were really interesting to watch in slow mo. Losing it just the way so many of us are only too personally familiar with. Highly recommended watch for the rest of you later today on NBCSN. Expect they will at least have the final round on NBC this evening. Awesome turns by the winner in a course that would probably buck me out spilling my breakfast out where it went in before the first jump haha. And twas cold cold at 15F as all had balaclavas under their helmets.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
How to watch should be separate?Otherwise how you actually find something gets lost.

Thing is, how to watch would be at the top of the merge, and that one quickly evolved into discussion about the games. I think simpler is better but I'm up for anything simple (including not merging anything).

Sponsor