• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Speaking of ski reviews.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Years ago I read a lengthy magazine article on Howard Head and his quest to invent a non-wooden ski. Short version is that Howard was a terrible skier so he gave his prototypes to local instructors and took their feedback and revised his design. Repeat as necessary.

Some of his early feedback was, to say the least, brutal. The one I recall was along the lines of "If you shined this up, you could have a nice bathroom mirror... but as a ski, it's useless".

Howard must have had some seriously thick skin and an undying belief that he could "make a better mousetrap".

TS
markojp

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
"The ZX2200 redefines poor edge hold, flexes like a garden hose, and smells like cheap booze and regret."

"Whoever designed this ski should be sentenced to ski on them for the rest of his or her natural life."

I skied on one of these last winter and raced back to the tent to turn them in... I couldn't ski fast enough though. They were like juggling nitroglycerine and flaming torches during a seizure.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
That piece reminds me of my "personal" motto (stolen from Oscar Wilde): " Life is too important to be taken seriously." ...and so is skiing. We too often lose sight of the reason we ski when obsessing about the equipment we use to do it.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
this is soooooo true

This all-around level of Ski Quality is great for the consumer, but it's become almost impossible to write an interesting ski review. My God, if I have to read that a wide ski is "surprisingly good on hard snow" one more time…

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
That piece reminds me of my "personal" motto (stolen from Oscar Wilde): " Life is too important to be taken seriously." ...and so is skiing. We too often lose sight of the reason we ski when obsessing about the equipment we use to do it.

^^^^THIS!^^^^

So well said and, so true!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS