• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Something I didn't know I needed - Nespresso

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We recently had a good friend stay at our house for a ski trip. This friend likes his espresso as much as we like a good cup of pour over coffee, so he sent us a gift of a Nespresso machine and several packages of pods as a thank you gift for staying at hour home.
I was scratching my head, thinking, "I don't need this. I like my pour over coffee." but I tried a few cups and have grown to enjoy the occasional cup of Nespresso.
FF a few weeks to a trip to Mammoth, where we were pretty sure our motel wouldn't have decent coffee in the morning, so we took this compact nespresso machine with us and have been enjoying it this morning before hitting the slopes.

IMG_7111.jpeg

What things have you received as a gift that you had no idea you needed until you started using it?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This is what I use:

_B7A0237-3.JPG

But the Nespresso wins in convenience obviously! That is a very nice, slick, coffee machine. Super portable indeed.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I usually make coffee with a glass French press. I also really like iced coffee, especially in summer.

So last summer I dropped and broke the press, went to Walmart looking for a replacement but instead bought a Cold Brew coffee maker for $20CDN. It is a 2 litre Lexan pitcher with a removable porous metal cone that holds a cup of course coffee grounds. The Cold Brew pitcher sits in the fridge for 18-24 hours and requires occasional stirring.

The label claims that this method of coffee brewing requires the use of a bit more coffee grounds but produces a drink that is 62% less acidic than coffee made with hot water. I can confirm that it indeed does make a very smooth cup of coffee, whether consumed cold or even after being heated in the microwave.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think I might need one of those Nespresso things because we do the motel thing most weekends during the winter and coffee isn't their strong point. We already travel with a boot dryer..... what's another piece of equipment.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OH yes. Nespresso. And the milk steamer too! I had to have one after visiting my sister and getting addicted to hers. Sadly, i became ill and now am not allowed to have coffee, even decaf, so i make it every morning for my DH and secretly feel sorry for myself. Boo hoo.:(

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But the Nespresso wins in convenience obviously! That is a very nice, slick, coffee machine. Super portable indeed.
I would have never had this on my radar, but the slim design and easy to carry pods are a huge win for us for a quick trip like this.

I think I might need one of those Nespresso things because we do the motel thing most weekends during the winter and coffee isn't their strong point. We already travel with a boot dryer..... what's another piece of equipment.
Exactly. I'd almost rather go without coffee than drink some of the dreck we have encountered on trips.

For a long trip where we are set up in a ski house, we'll still take the stuff for pour over, but this slim design is amazeballs for a short trip!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I would have never had this on my radar, but the slim design and easy to carry pods are a huge win for us for a quick trip like this.

Exactly. I'd almost rather go without coffee than drink some of the dreck we have encountered on trips.

I have actually gone without coffee when my only choice is swill. Problem is now solved, thanks for this thread. It's the simple things. ;)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I like the nespresso milk frother. To be honest I'd be happy with one of them and a can of Azera

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did George or Arnie come with the Nespresso??
Both, it was a combo pack like many htings there is always that third throw-in that you never want, in this case it was Danny DeVito.

James

Out There
Instructor
That Nespresso is possibly just a gateway drug to a ground espresso maker....
That can't be used of course without a real grinder. Now we're up to at least one pair of Renouns in cost.

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
My inlaws have one and I'm indifferent to it. Seems like an expensive Keurig. But I'm not really an espresso guy. Much prefer my Chemex. :thumb:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Much less glamorous, but I got a gift for Christmas that has made one of those little wonderful differences. A long charge cord for my phone. Before, if the phone was truly out of gas and I needed to use it, I was hunched over the nightstand, using it while plugged in and really too far away. My daughter gave me a 4- or 5-foot charge cord. Awesome!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nespresso works, not quite as good as a real espresso maker with a burrito grinder.

But it's expensive, at .60 per cup, it's $500 a year or so if you have two cups a day.

A good espresso machine, automatic, is about 600, so...

James

Out There
Instructor
Nespresso works, not quite as good as a real espresso maker with a burrito grinder.

But it's expensive, at .60 per cup, it's $500 a year or so if you have two cups a day.

A good espresso machine, automatic, is about 600, so...
After that they should get a cheap boat to save money...

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nespresso: nah. When I travel, I bring a bag of ground coffee and use it in the hotel room coffee machine. The best gift I ever received that I didn’t know I needed: I’ll have to think on this.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If we are traveling for a long trip, we will tend to bring our pour over but the Nepresso was nice when we went to Mammoth for an over nighter.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
I have one of these Nespresso makers. It is quick and easy, and if I just want a single cup of coffee it is better than going through the production of using my big 12 cup coffee pot. I also have a real espresso maker which makes better espresso but also more work.
When i travel and coffee is questionable i bring a travel kettle and the little packs of starbucks via coffee which is instant but surprisingly good.

Things that surprised me/-usually clothes lol!

Sponsor

Staff online